Thread: How is the MSFFB2 detected?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

How is the MSFFB2 detected?

Hello from Ireland!

I have created an adapter to play games with Force Feedback on a Brunner base. I have been playing some BoS no problem but I can't get it to work in CloD.
    My guess is that the FFB effects are not connected because the game is not detecting a compatible device connected.

I suppose FFB does not work on anything that it's not a G940 or a MSFFB2? As a workaround I could fool the game in thinking my device is a FFB2. How does the game detect that?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: How is the MSFFB2 detected?

I have a Microsoft FFB 2 and it works fine with BLITZ and TOBRUK... including the FFB effx.

FFB is part of the game's program... are you enabling FFB in the config files?

Quote Originally Posted by jmirage View Post
    Hello from Ireland!

I have created an adapter to play games with Force Feedback on a Brunner base. I have been playing some BoS no problem but I can't get it to work in CloD.
    My guess is that the FFB effects are not connected because the game is not detecting a compatible device connected.

I suppose FFB does not work on anything that it's not a G940 or a MSFFB2? As a workaround I could fool the game in thinking my device is a FFB2. How does the game detect that?

Thanks in advance!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks @RAF74_Buzzsaw!
    I have a MSFFB2 that works but a DIY device that doesn't but it's working fine in any other game.

My question is more technical. How does CloD detect it's a MSFFB2 and not a DIY device? I have tried fooling it using the same VID/PID, same USB name but still it doesn't seem to be detected as a Force Feedback joystick

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

it seems like the culprit was vJoy! CloD was detecting it as a Force Feedback joystick and ignoring the right one. For some reason that doesn't happen with the MS FFB2 but I just need to disable vJoy before playing

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

There is an explanation in the "Getting Started and Troubleshooting Guide" p. 51 (search for "force feedback"). The problem is that CLoD detects the FIRST joystick listed, according to whatever logic windows/directx uses to list joystick devices. So it will pick up vJoy first, and removing it solves that problem (temporarily). The getting started guide has a more comprehensive solution.
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

6. Likes RAF74_Buzzsaw, ATAG_Snapper liked this post