Thread: Air to air bombing IL-2 vs. IL-2 vs. IL-2 vs DCS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Air to air bombing IL-2 vs. IL-2 vs. IL-2 vs DCS

Answering questions no one is asking like what happens if some plane gets between your bomb and your target.
    I tested this in all the sims I own so that is 3 different versions of il-2 and DCS.
    This time the Great Battles wins mainly cause unarmed bombs and pretty much all other objects have collisions and will damage anything they hit.
    Cliffs of Dover wins the prize for the most amusing result with unarmed bombs bouncing of the unfortunate test subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    818.69 MB

Re: Air to air bombing IL-2 vs. IL-2 vs. IL-2 vs DCS

That discussion has come up from time to time with TWC boys.....have always wanted to try it but now I know. I will feel so much safer now when flying the Blennie with its magic structure and wing root force field
    There's something good waitin' down this road
    I'm pickin' up whatever's mine.
    "Tom Petty...Runnin' Down A Dream...Full Moon Fever"

3. Likes palker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Did the unarmed bomb really damage the plane in Il-2 Great Battles, because to me it looks more like the "hit ground dirt animation" with no damage. Why would there else be a big dirt puff with no dirt in the area?

5. Likes palker liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Interesting results.
    Flor CloD maybe you found something needing correction. Would be great if they damaged the aircraft.

And in BoS it just shows the exaggerated effects whenever something hits... clouds of smoke, explosion, streams of „fluid“ out of everywhere... but the collision damage is nice. And most people like the huge bursts etc. when hitting the enemy aircraft anyways I‘d say.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

7. Likes 5th Hellrider, Barone, palker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    Did the unarmed bomb really damage the plane in Il-2 Great Battles, because to me it looks more like the "hit ground dirt animation" with no damage. Why would there else be a big dirt puff with no dirt in the area?
    It did it gives a big puff of smoke and the target plane started leaking plus the game said I was penalized for damaging a friendly. I guess the dirt puff is there cause the game does not have bomb hit a plane effect so it uses the same effect as if it hit other object which is usually dirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by palker View Post
    It did it gives a big puff of smoke and the target plane started leaking plus the game said I was penalized for damaging a friendly. I guess the dirt puff is there cause the game does not have bomb hit a plane effect so it uses the same effect as if it hit other object which is usually dirt.
    I did not see any leaks after the hit, I saw leaks only after the cut, that's why I was suspiscious.
    To be honest, the bombs did not fall fast enough for me to really be able to do serious damage, wasn't enough time to accelerate for planes flying at the same pace, so I don't understand the people talking about it being realistic.
    However it won't matter much, because if you hit planes on the ground, it should do several damage.

With this conclusion, I find CloD more realistic for hitting planes flying the same pace and dropping only within a few meters, and BoX more realistic for larger distances.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Mar-10-2021 at 13:51.