Thread: Nazi Symbols - The Story Behind the Imagery

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Nazi Symbols - The Story Behind the Imagery

Quite fascinating

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: Nazi Symbols - The Story Behind the Imagery

I knew some of thsi but not all.

I knew an indiam girl called Swastika when I was at university. One of the loveliest people I think I have ever met.

Wonder where she is these days.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper, danperin, Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

The successful strategy is too re-interpret and appropriate well-known symbols, not to invent new ones.
    Just as the Nazis did not invent a 'new' history but used 'common facts' distorted them and created (and still create) a version of history that suits their own purposes.
    Runes, as mentioned in the vid, are a nice example.
    There are quite a lot of different systems of runes used during a very long time in northern and northwestern Europe. The 'meanings' that the Nazis assigned to them (Victory rue, Death rune etc.) have absolutely zero to do with those various historic writing systems. They all go back to the (litterally) pipe-dreams of Guido von List (he was not even a real 'von') an Austrian racist occultist of the beginning of the 20th century who received his 'knowledge' in visions.
    The mind-boggling thing is that still today the crude fantasies he brewed up in his hallucinations are still permanently used.
    If you go to any 'medieval' fair or 'Viking' re-enactment you will see loads of 20th century Nazi iconography that is used or sold as 'ages old symbols'.

5. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

As the author or producer of the video says, its sad that a symbol, with a much greater history, has been outlawed just as a result of 20 or so years of Nazi rule.
    One can certainly understand, and appreciate the trauma certain symbols linked to oppression and in this case mass genocide, have on certain segments of the global population, but erasing history is not the answer in this, re-education is.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

7. Likes danperin, Marco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    As the author or producer of the video says, its sad that a symbol, with a much greater history, has been outlawed just as a result of 20 or so years of Nazi rule.
    One can certainly understand, and appreciate the trauma certain symbols linked to oppression and in this case mass genocide, have on certain segments of the global population, but erasing history is not the answer in this, re-education is.

Well, I don't think that not allowing for entertainment purposes to display symbols that stand for genocide and are still used today with the same intention has anything to do with 'erasing history' or 're-writing' history as has been claimed here sometimes. Rather the contrary!
    It is just the effect of education that led to a proper respect for the feelings of victims.

Games are not history and entertainment is not education (although there might be an overlap).

9. Likes Arthursmedley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Games are not history and entertainment is not education (although there might be an overlap).
    I was not really referring to games or gaming in particular.
    I was coming more from an angle of the symbol is pretty much verbotten anywhere and people that see it automatically associate it with the Nazi party. Myself included.

I had no idea there was a much deeper history to it, thats all.