Thread: Bouncy Spits!?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.50 MB

Bouncy Spits!?

I'm not an experienced flyer in any shape or form, in fact I have only just started 'flying' the Spitfire in CloD. I have always struggled with landings but in the Spit they are awful. Why is it so bouncy? I never had that problem in a Hurricane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Re: Bouncy Spits!?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud-Clipper View Post
    I'm not an experienced flyer in any shape or form, in fact I have only just started 'flying' the Spitfire in CloD. I have always struggled with landings but in the Spit they are awful. Why is it so bouncy? I never had that problem in a Hurricane.
    Hi Cloud Clipper.......it's sometimes surprising by how much you have to lift the Spitfire's nose as you 'flare' just before touchdown. Somebody probably knows the angle required just above the ground but I would guess about 10 degrees? When I do this I can often achieve a 'three pointer.' If I underestimate and land 'flatter' my wheels often hit hard and I know I'm in for a bounce. Cancelling the bounce before you hit too hard then becomes the problem.

Perhaps experiment with the angle you push the nose up just before touchdown. Pushing the nose up also increases drag which is helpful and provided you are a few feet up will 'stall' you on to the runway.

I think we all have a few bad landings when we're tired or not concentrating but I always remind myself...any landing you can walk away from..........!

Keep at it, CC! You'll be an ace before you know it! Salute!
    Last edited by ATAG_Marlow; Mar-14-2021 at 09:49.

3. Likes Cloud-Clipper, DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Welcome Cloud Clipper, I read somewhere that you should get speed down, flaps and gear out and glide over landing field and "Stall" into landing. Don't try to force the plane down. Having said that I normally just bounce a few times and bend the Prop.
    P-40 is a beauty to land as well by the way, again welcome to Cliffs of Dover and I look forward to seeing you in multiplayer soon
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

5. Likes Cloud-Clipper, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.50 MB

Thanks.

The problem I tend to have is that I flare, but that simply causes the plane to rise, then stall and then I crash.

7. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Thanks.

The problem I tend to have is that I flare, but that simply causes the plane to rise, then stall and then I crash.
    You’re probably coming in too fast, and you flare too abruptly.
    BE GENTLE ON THE CONTROLS
    Start by reducing the elevator sensitivity to the minimum (full right scale to 1.00 on the axis settings) then increase it over time (by bringing the scale back to lower values) as your hand gets used to it... and be patient, it takes time to get used to higher performance planes...
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Mar-14-2021 at 00:23.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

9. Likes Cloud-Clipper, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

I'm not a spit pilot but I remember someone mentioning that retracting the flaps just before will reduce lift and drop you to the runway without a bounce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

You need to control your descent rate. If you touch down with high vertical speed you will bounce. What would help if you recorded your landing, hard to say what exactly is going wrong without seeing it.

12. Likes Cloud-Clipper, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Yes, control the decent rate, look at the gauge that shows decent, it should be at or below 1000 ft/minute. And watch your airspeed. Than just as you touch down raise your flaps. Also pick a view and stay with it while you practice your final/touchdown, for me that was the 70 degree view (closest to real life). I think the main thing is to just practice, I used one of the Free Flight missions in the single player quick mission menu.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

14. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    I'm not a spit pilot but I remember someone mentioning that retracting the flaps just before will reduce lift and drop you to the runway without a bounce.
    Going to try this myself ASAP tks Colander(but only if it works)
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

16. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

I'm friends with an ex RAF Tornado pilot who's also displayed many hours in WWII warbirds. He said landing is the last thing a Spitfire wants to do. The wing generates so much lift it just wants to stay up, or after touchdown get back in the air.
    We have the inconvenience of not feeling the speed/lift in our sim, though I use a FFB stick to improve that. It's a touchy aircraft. People get Cliffs and immediately jump in a Spitfire - understandably - and find everything is difficult. I had plenty of time and patience so I took the long route from Tiger Moth to Hurricane to Spitfire etc. I always advise at least familiarity with the Hurricane before Spitfires. All procedures are essentially the same but it's much more stable and forgiving. Don't disregard the Hurri, it's a great gun platform.

Best thing is it's all good fun. I can prang any aircraft equally.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Mar-14-2021 at 14:41.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.76 MB

I would imagine he was a spit pilot who knew you werent and has been smirking ever since waiting to hear you tried it

19. Likes Cloud-Clipper, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.50 MB

have managed to land 'okay' a couple of times but it's still a little hit an miss. Low and slow seems to be the way to go.

21. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

have managed to land 'okay' a couple of times but it's still a little hit an miss. Low and slow seems to be the way to go.
    Just not too low or slow. It's a controlled crash at a consistent decent rate, then a slight nose up flare just before touchdown to bleed off excess speed.Preferably into the wind for both take-off and landing.

I zoom out the view a little on take-off and landing for a 'better' wider field of view to help keep me straight. Not too much as the fish-eye effect messes with judging distance. I may also open the cockpit and lean out each side.

There's still plenty of variations on 'hit and miss' for those of us who've already done it thousands of times.

All good fun
    Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Mar-15-2021 at 13:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 56RAF_stickz View Post
    I would imagine he was a spit pilot who knew you werent and has been smirking ever since waiting to hear you tried it
    It works, as long as the landing is reasonably well done as described in the above posts. It’s an old trick that helps keep the wheels “stuck” on the ground for the rollout.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

24. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.76 MB

It works, as long as the landing is reasonably well done as described in the above posts. It’s an old trick that helps keep the wheels “stuck” on the ground for the rollout.

yeah that was really my point, if your landing is good to that point, removing the flaps with its nose up response and sudden alt drop seems a good way to ruin what was probably already a good landing.

26. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

I struggled with landing for YEARS

My main problem? I was going too fast. Make sure to give yourself a long enough approach. Do a lot of sideslipping if you need! Touchdown in the Spitty is a lot slower than takeoff speed, you can get it right down to 70-80mph before you touch down. Try and hold the plane in the flare attitude even if it's not touching down, don't go back and nose down to force it to the ground. Let her float and settle. Otherwise you'll hit the ground too hard and get the bounce. (The dreaded PIO.)

Raising the flaps is actually a good idea, I usually do it right AFTER I touch down if I remember. I've noticed it helps a lot more on the DCS version of the Spitty, the ground handling is quite twitchy on that sim.

28. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Hello Cloud Clipper,

Trimming is very important and a lot of people forget to do this. Your aircraft should be well trimmed on your final approach so that you should only need small inputs of the stick if needed.

Happy flying!
    Last edited by ATAG_Scones; Mar-16-2021 at 19:39.

30. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    I'm friends with an ex RAF Tornado pilot who's also displayed many hours in WWII warbirds. He said landing is the last thing a Spitfire wants to do. The wing generates so much lift it just wants to stay up, or after touchdown get back in the air.
    We have the inconvenience of not feeling the speed/lift in our sim, though I use a FFB stick to improve that. It's a touchy aircraft. People get Cliffs and immediately jump in a Spitfire - understandably - and find everything is difficult. I had plenty of time and patience so I took the long route from Tiger Moth to Hurricane to Spitfire etc. I always advise at least familiarity with the Hurricane before Spitfires. All procedures are essentially the same but it's much more stable and forgiving. Don't disregard the Hurri, it's a great gun platform.

Best thing is it's all good fun. I can prang any aircraft equally.

Daz

I am playing through the campaign and the first 7(?) missions are in a Hurricane and then you get given a Spit. The difference in handling was startling and landings completely different.

32. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    634.51 MB

Hi, if Spit is so balky try a Bf 109
    First come ,last left
    My rig : Win 10 pro 64 bit; Mb Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO ,I5 11400F @4,2GHz,gc,GIGABYTE RTX 3070 TI 8 Gb,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 ,SSD Transcend 240 Gb, Gigabyte G32QC ,VKB Gladiator Pro,MMJOY2 home made pedals and gas , TrackIR 5. Steam ID: YR-DAN

34. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Ha ha! wait until you have to fly with a beautiful lady sitting in your lap! that really sorts the men from the boys! Distracting or what?

Keep at it, CC...but come and join us in multiplayer when you can. Download Team Speak (Free) and say 'hello!' You won't look back! Salute!

(Hey, Sconsey.....good to see you back!)
    Last edited by ATAG_Marlow; Mar-17-2021 at 11:14.

36. Likes ATAG_Scones, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

I am playing through the campaign and the first 7(?) missions are in a Hurricane and then you get given a Spit. The difference in handling was startling and landings completely different.
    Well, isn't this exactly why Cliffs stands out so much above other flight 'sims'?
    Different planes really feel different! And naturally they need different handling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Ha ha! wait until you have to fly with a beautiful lady sitting in your lap! that really sorts the men from the boys! Distracting or what?

Keep at it, CC...but come and join us in multiplayer when you can. Download Team Speak (Free) and say 'hello!' You won't look back! Salute!

(Hey, Sconsey.....good to see you back!)
    Thanks, Marlow! Great to see the Rag Tags are still around. Always had a blast flying with you guys!

39. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.50 MB

Talking Re: Bouncy Spits!?

Have been having more successful landings than failures so I guess I'm slowly getting there. It's so odd though as, due to the Spit's high nose, on many occassions I think I am still in the air when infact I've already landed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

It's so odd though as, due to the Spit's high nose, on many occassions I think I am still in the air when infact I've already landed!
    Yep! I remember that very clearly! Good to hear that you feel you are making progress, C.C.

It'll soon become second nature.....then, like us, you'll only crash on every other landing!!!!! Salute!

42. Likes Cloud-Clipper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

That is what I do, and it works like a charm.

SLAG
    Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MB,
    Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 31ghz CPU, EVGA 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

44. Likes Cloud-Clipper liked this post