Thread: How do I get rid of bombed up Hurri in Desert Rats campaign?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

How do I get rid of bombed up Hurri in Desert Rats campaign?

In every mission which so far are interception ones , my Hurricane comes fully equipped with 8 "Cooper bombs" which so far as I can tell are good for nothing but dropping right after takeoff.Of course my squadron mates don't have that option ( they might do so in ensuing combat but who knows?) Why did campaign builders lock in this option and is there any solution to doing away with same? Just saying...

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Re: How do I get rid of bombed up Hurri in Desert Rats campaign?

I was the builder of the Rats over Tobruk campaign. The bombs are present due to a late change made prior to release on the way the default load outs were managed in-game for the Hurricane. As a result the aircraft default loadout went from 0 bombs to 8. There wasnt enough time to change before release as I was busy finishing a bunch of other campaigns.

There are several ground attack missions in this campaign (at least 3 from memory) so they arent 'good for nothing' in some missions.

I havent yet gotten around to fixing it yet as i'm not able to face opening up the FMB again after building a bunch of campaigns and MP missions over the past 6 months and need a break from it.

Ezzie

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    In every mission which so far are interception ones , my Hurricane comes fully equipped with 8 "Cooper bombs" which so far as I can tell are good for nothing but dropping right after takeoff.Of course my squadron mates don't have that option ( they might do so in ensuing combat but who knows?) Why did campaign builders lock in this option and is there any solution to doing away with same? Just saying...

3. Likes ATAG_Vampire, DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    I was the builder of the Rats over Tobruk campaign. The bombs are present due to a late change made prior to release on the way the default load outs were managed in-game for the Hurricane. As a result the aircraft default loadout went from 0 bombs to 8. There wasnt enough time to change before release as I was busy finishing a bunch of other campaigns.

There are several ground attack missions in this campaign (at least 3 from memory) so they arent 'good for nothing' in some missions.

I havent yet gotten around to fixing it yet as i'm not able to face opening up the FMB again after building a bunch of campaigns and MP missions over the past 6 months and need a break from it.

Ezzie
    Ezzie, Many thanks for your work, so know no judgement on the entire campaign was intended.I guess I haven't gotten to a bombing mission yet.
    Thanks for your work I do appreciate it as well as others who worked hard to give us something to do with DWT.

5. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

All good - thanks Blitzen.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

[QUOTE=ATAG_Ezzie;371856]All good - thanks Blitzen.

Ezzie[/Q
    In the meantime would you mind looking over Mission 10? Of course it could be just me but for the last 5 or 6 "trys" on this mission i've had start - stop stutters soon after take off & then quickly thereafter a CTD. In other campaigns tested just now, this hasn't happened so I wonder if there's a glitch somewhere.Its stopped me going any further with the Hurri Boys.
    Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

[QUOTE=Blitzen;371862]

Ezzie[/Q
    In the meantime would you mind looking over Mission 10? Of course it could be just me but for the last 5 or 6 "trys" on this mission i've had start - stop stutters soon after take off & then quickly thereafter a CTD. In other campaigns tested just now, this hasn't happened so I wonder if there's a glitch somewhere.Its stopped me going any further with the Hurri Boys.
    Thanks again!
    I think this CTD started with one of the recent updates. I'll take a look.

In the meantime - if you start the misson and then hit esc before the CTD will it give you the option on going to the next mission?

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Oh yes...of course....

10. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

[QUOTE=Blitzen;371862]

Ezzie[/Q
    Thanks again!
    Hi Blitzen,

I just played Mission 10 out of the box (ie in-game using 5.018) and it worked fine for me. A couple of questions to maybe help troubleshoot

(a) Confirm its mission 10 (sorry not trying to insult your intelligence - just being thorough)
    (b) Were you trying pre or post changelog 18? Did you clear the cache after updating to 018?
    (c) Did the missions 11, 12, 13 and 14 work OK?
    (d) Were you flying manually or on AI? if manually- could you try and take off the other direction and see what happens pls
    (e) Are you able to post the log file details? (i have no idea how to read them but someone else will be able to check them out and see if there's anything obvious)
    (f) How does your rig handle large numbers of aircraft? Some of these missions have up to 70+ - i cant recall if mission 10 is the largest number (there several that have ~ 50-70+)

fyi i started all 1-14 and flew several of them for most of the mission (including mission 1 and 10) with no issues. The rest i started up and then escaped out of to progress to the next and this worked OK.

If anyone else is willing to help trouble shoot could you pls play the SP campaign Rats over Tobruk mission 10 and see if you can replicate Blitzen's CTD please?

Thanks

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

[QUOTE=ATAG_Ezzie;371922]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

Hi Blitzen,

I just played Mission 10 out of the box (ie in-game using 5.018) and it worked fine for me. A couple of questions to maybe help troubleshoot

(a) Confirm its mission 10 (sorry not trying to insult your intelligence - just being thorough)
    (b) Were you trying pre or post changelog 18? Did you clear the cache after updating to 018?
    (c) Did the missions 11, 12, 13 and 14 work OK?
    (d) Were you flying manually or on AI? if manually- could you try and take off the other direction and see what happens pls
    (e) Are you able to post the log file details? (i have no idea how to read them but someone else will be able to check them out and see if there's anything obvious)
    (f) How does your rig handle large numbers of aircraft? Some of these missions have up to 70+ - i cant recall if mission 10 is the largest number (there several that have ~ 50-70+)

fyi i started all 1-14 and flew several of them for most of the mission (including mission 1 and 10) with no issues. The rest i started up and then escaped out of to progress to the next and this worked OK.

If anyone else is willing to help trouble shoot could you pls play the SP campaign Rats over Tobruk mission 10 and see if you can replicate Blitzen's CTD please?

Thanks

Ezzie
    ...days later ...I think my pilot in Mission 10 had a gippy tummy so he just had to have a lie down , sip a generous a gin & tonic to fly Mission 11 on another day...he should have done the same for mission 12 in which he has been shot down several times by the hordes of Jerry 109's & 110's with little to no help from his squadron mates who apparently were off swanning about out in the "Blue"...
    Last edited by Blitzen; Apr-01-2021 at 01:01.

13. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

BTW: The ONLY way I found I could survive Mission 12 was to takeoff immediately from being parked( to be fair there was little wind so not much of a problem), drop useless bombs, fly north , directly out to see & away from the attackers. During this time I glanced at the map from time to time & realized whay I hadn't lived thru this mission in at least 3 tries: there are more Axis planes converging of Tobruk in any almost comic way than I have seen attacking any one target than I have ever seen in CLoD...ever.Made me want to try for Greece! By some sort of miracle two of my squadron mates eventually joined me out over the Med, just about the same time the 3-4 drop tank equipped 109's arrived ( How those AI pilots found us miles away from Tobruk ,I'll never know.) We must have put up a pretty good fight ( I got one, always something to cheer about in a Hurricane,) after running out of ammo, Iglanced again at the map & seeing the way clear to return to my home field I did so , arriving just after the massive Stuka raid was abating. I wiped out the undercarriage , but but that down to agitated nerves- I'm sure the fitterswill have it patched up for next time.
    So let me thank you for the most interesting experience...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Glad you enjoyed it Blitzen. Just so you know those raids are based on events as described in 'Hurricanes over Tobruk' including raid sizes etc. Some missions are recreations of actual raids (date, time, raid size, raid composition) and some are fictitious but are consistent with the types of activities/raids that were happening during this period.

In essence the presence of the Hurricanes based in Tobruk became untenable and according to the CO of the squadron at the time were tactically irrelevant and they were only there to keep the Army happy. The last couple of sorties are designed to give the sense for this - even landing and taking off had become extremely hazardous by this stage as you seem to have discovered....

The book is highly recommended if you want to read up on it.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Glad you enjoyed it Blitzen. Just so you know those raids are based on events as described in 'Hurricanes over Tobruk' including raid sizes etc. Some missions are recreations of actual raids (date, time, raid size, raid composition) and some are fictitious but are consistent with the types of activities/raids that were happening during this period.

In essence the presence of the Hurricanes based in Tobruk became untenable and according to the CO of the squadron at the time were tactically irrelevant and they were only there to keep the Army happy. The last couple of sorties are designed to give the sense for this - even landing and taking off had become extremely hazardous by this stage as you seem to have discovered....

The book is highly recommended if you want to read up on it.

Ezzie
    I know I've wandered far off the mark here , but I do have to say that as I watched ( on the map) the axis air armada approach Tobruk, I could only think of the various movie "War Rooms "that show a gigantic illuminated map with incoming aircraft or in some cases ICBM's ( we haven't used that term in a while have we?) all watched by the officers & politicians in the room with various measures of impending doom! The sheer number of aircraft silhouettes converging on the little down was quite impressive .Surprising that there was anything left of the unfortunate village, what? I can tell you I was happy to be going in the opposite direction from the fracas that was to be!
    Thanks again for your efforts!