Thread: On the Ju 88 tail wheel lock (is this a mistake in the Dover series?)

Manual Creation Group 343KKT_Kintaro's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    31.50 MB

On the Ju 88 tail wheel lock (is this a mistake in the Dover series?)

Hi all. Before I go to the Bugtracker with this, I need to discuss the matter here.

There are 12 Ju 88 subvariants in the Dover series and 1 Ju 88 subvariant only in the Great Battles series:

In the Dover series:

Ju 88 A-1
    Ju 88 A-5
    Ju 88 A-5 Late
    Ju 88 A-5/trop
    Ju 88 A-5/trop Late
    Ju 88 C-1
    Ju 88 C-2
    Ju 88 C-2/trop
    Ju 88 C-4
    Ju 88 C-4 Late
    Ju 88 C-4/trop
    Ju 88 C-4/trop Late

In the Great Battles series:

Ju 88 A-4
    Ju 88 C-6a (currently under development)

In our Dover series, if one wants to lock/unlock the tail wheel, not only the control binding is available but, in addition, a pedal with the German inscription "Ruder-Bremse" is animated when locking or releasing the tail wheel. This works fine with all 12 subvariants in the game, please see the following screenshot:

210403104643828251.jpg

Please focus for a minute on that German term, "Ruder-Bremse". I don't know German so I don't really know if this German "Ruder-Bremse" translates properly into English as "tail wheel lock". Using Google Translate this gives "ruder brake". You guys in Team Fusion Simulations did that, you bound this pedal to the tail wheel locking & releasing. So what it is finally? Did you do that on a historical basis with the help of the apropriate documentation?

In the Great Battles series, the Ju 88 A-4 is the only Ju 88 that is at the player's disposal, a subvariant we do not have in the Dover series. This Great Battles Ju 88 A-4 doesn't react when you use the corresponding mapped key: impossible to lock nor release the tail wheel (I guess it is permanently released by default). Nevertheless the pedal is there, although it doesn't display the term "Ruder-Bremse" :

210403112934615361.jpg

210403112206112594.jpg

In our Dover simulator, the pedal at this location in the cockpit is used for locking/releasing the tail wheel... is this historically correct in the Dover series ? Or, on the contrary, is the Great Battles series correct because, precisely, it doesn't present any lock for the Ju 88 tail wheel?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 343KKT_Kintaro; Apr-03-2021 at 17:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Re: On the Ju 88 tail wheel lock (is this a mistake in the Dover series?)

For temporary locking of the rudders when stationary, rudder brakes are provided. These can be operated with pressurised oil from the cockpit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 343KKT_Kintaro View Post

Please focus for a minute on that German term, "Ruder-Bremse". I don't know German so I don't really know if this German "Ruder-Bremse" translates properly into English as "tail wheel lock". Using Google Translate this gives "ruder brake". You guys in Team Fusion Simulations did that, you bound this pedal to the tail wheel locking & releasing. So whait it is finally? Did you do that on a historical basis with the help of the apropriate documentation?
    The tail wheel brake slows down the lateral rotation of the tail wheel, not the rolling forward.
    This is to reduce the tendency to go left and right while taxiing.
    It does not completely block the tail wheel, so you can still steer the plane, but it requires more efforts.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

4. Likes 343KKT_Kintaro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    31.50 MB

Thank you guys, thank you so much for your input and documentation... but I'm not sure if I get it... do we talk about a device that blocks the rudder in the vertical stabiliser... or the tail wheel beneath the tail of the bomber?
    Last edited by 343KKT_Kintaro; Apr-03-2021 at 14:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

I have researched this a bit. Here is what I dug up:
    1.Attached picture of tailwheel lock switch
    2. Sketch of locking device
    3. Sketch of rudder brake pedal

The tailwheel locks were only available on the very early A-1/5s. You can see the switch does not exist on the CoD or BoX renderings.The fact that it was deleted suggests it was not needed or more trouble than it was worth.

The rudder brake pedal seen at the foot of the pilot kept the rudder from moving and was meant to keep it from banging around in the wind when parked. It was so dangerous that it was blanked off by crews and deleted from later Ju-88s.

Tailwheel Lock r.JPGrudder brake.JPG Tailwheel Lock Switch.JPGTailwheel Lock Switch2.JPGrudder brake2.JPG

Email I received from Guttorn Fjeldstad who restored and owns 2 Ju 88 A-1s...."hi, first off I would like to mention the ruderbremse, on every 88 I`ve seen including the two we have salvaged, the wrecks and the one in USA they have all been blanked out ( even on the A1 880119 ) with a rod that prevent it from being used, 88`s had manual rudderlocks placed from the outside. All 88`s was supposed to have a extra hydraulic system connected to the control surfaces but never installed, but the piping in the fuselage and wings was installed but again blanked out on every 88 I`ve seen. the ruder bremse pedal I am sure was blocked so it wasn’t step on by accident as that would been too easy to do so instead it was pretty much turned into a step/footrest instead. Regarding the tail wheel lock I must say I am not sure how that was locked on later versions, on the A1 and A5 it was in the same position but not seen it on the one in USA or other 88 parts and items i have studied ! it could had been removed on later versions but i am not sure. best regards Guttorm"

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    31.50 MB

Holy cow!!! Both simulators are right!!! The Dover series presents Ju 88s with a not-yet-blocked Ruderbremse pedal and the Great Battles series presents a Ju 88 with an already-blocked Ruderbremse pedal...

Thanks a bunch, Skud, that was fascinating. Also, do not forget to thank Herr Fjeldstad, I feel it's quite a privilege to read this email you shared with us.

8. Likes ATAG_SKUD liked this post