Thread: Can users with CAD skills add buildings to Airfields ?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Can users with CAD skills add buildings to Airfields ?

Hi,
    Myself and Fred901 are endeavouring to make accurate airfields. One of the most vital things to do is correct the E pens, and replace what was sheer fiction with accurate Belfast Truss Hangers seen at airfields such as Kenley, Duxford, Fowlmere etc etc.

I am able to draw these in CAD, how do we go about adding them in ?

WE are also finding that some structures are needing removal, but cannot see a way of doing so, what help is there on this ?
    Perhaps they can be coded to be well away from the airfield !

Cheers

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Re: Can users with CAD skills add buildings to Airfields ?

CAD is not used to model stuff for games, at least if you are talking about CAD in its tradtional sense - things like SolidWorks or AutoCad. The difference is that CAD is great for engineering and manufacturing since you define the size and location and shape of everything mathematically. Video games don't work like that and they use finite polygons. Zoom in to a curved surface and it's not actually curved, it's a bunch of flat surfaces each angled a bit more.

If you know how to use the artistic-oriented 3D software - I think Team Fusion modellers have used 3DS and Blender - maybe you could contribute something to their team. But knowing SolidWorks is a lot different than knowing how to use Blender. I have used both, and you have to think totally differently.

Note - I am not a developer of CloD so I may be wrong about a few things. But in general, CAD =/= 3D modelling for games. And modelling is just the first step - then you have to unwrap the model to a 2D plane to texture it. That's honestly even harder than the modelling!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Re: Can users with CAD skills add buildings to Airfields ?

Hi ATAG_Flare
    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    CAD is not used to model stuff for games, at least if you are talking about CAD in its traditional sense - things like SolidWorks or AutoCad. The difference is that CAD is great for engineering and manufacturing since you define the size and location and shape of everything mathematically. Video games don't work like that and they use finite polygons...
    Quite right. I use Rhino3D which after the surfaces/curves mathematical modelling I would export the finished object as polygons. 3Sstudio .3ds is one option.

If you know how to use the artistic-oriented 3D software - I think Team Fusion modellers have used 3DS and Blender
    I would be compatible with 3DstudioMax and maybe we have an option for Blender, or Blender can take .3ds. Many moons ago I did in fact start out with 3DStudioMax and created a Luftwaffe bomb, but needing CAD for precise work I left it for Rhino3D, its a NURBS prog and can do organic shapes unlike traditional engineering prog like Solidworks, so was the sales pitch.

- maybe you could contribute something to their team. But knowing SolidWorks is a lot different than knowing how to use Blender. I have used both, and you have to think totally differently.
    I would love to contribute, I have all the data needed to create the airfield objects, I certainly would need to start in Rhino3D, then export using the best option possible.
    The export panel though has no indication of exact number of polygons, a slider for high to low, and clicking advanced controls we lose that count related control and see data boxes for figure entry of Density, Max angle,max aspect ratio, min edge length, max distance edge to surface, min initial grid quads, tick box refine mesh, jagged seams, simple planes, pack textures.

then you have to unwrap the model to a 2D plane to texture it. That's honestly even harder than the modelling!
    Fortunately the surfaces are not compound curves in E pens and hangars, so would unroll more easily. E pens all planar surfaces. hangars ditto except the curved roof.
    The task of how best to do so, how to create a building with the polygon file, I would need initialadvice, the raster texture I can create the texture as I do skinning, just need to have the skin foundation file made as I work to for aircraft skins, perhaps TF can do that or educate me or point me to a good step by step, there has to be something newbies follow. The bulk of the task, research, modelling, and painting would be me.

How do I get this noticed by them ?

BOBC