Thread: Hard left rudder yet nothing much happening

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hard left rudder yet nothing much happening

Hi,
    Applying hard left rudder yet unlike the swing to left in the past nothing much is happening.
    I check in PC controls and the hardware is there and red bars moving as they should do.
    I check in CoD controls and its allocated to rudder, and the blue bars are going up and down to the full extent, sensitivity is at max as always.
    yet still no real effect as I have been used to.

Go external F2 and see rudder moving equally both ways.

What else is there to check ?

Makes for difficult flight, as one can imagine.

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Re: Hard left rudder yet nothing much happening

What aircraft are you using? Is this in straight and level flight at normal airspeed? And does it act this way with other planes? When the rudder moves in external view is it going to full left and full right? Thanks

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Re: Hard left rudder yet nothing much happening

Hi,
    experiment 1. Me109E4 quick mission advantage axis.
    mid throttle, straight and level flight, gunsight hair on horizon, compass on O, start stopwatch with hard left rudder being kicked on, keep level arrive at N 54 secs later, thats a 90degree change in direction taking 54 secs using just rudder.
    experiment 2. ditto and starting at that N it takes 57secs to arrive at O.
    no sideways pressure angle on stick required.

experiment 3.Spitfire, straight and level flight, throttle unmoved from 109test, keeping gunsight hair on horizon, single flight over channel, use directional gyro (as cant see compass) 9 to 0 (90 degs again) 63 secs
    ditto 0 to 27 by carrying on 44 secs. needs cnstant stick over to port by 5 degrees or so, forever trying to rotate to stbd.
    30 to 3 (90degs) requiring right rudder 54 secs stick needs to be 5degs ish to right all the time.

Why should right rudder cause a/c to want to rotate CCW and left rudder CW ?
    didnt notice this need for stick pressure in the 109.

so its 54 secs to rudder alone to change direction through 90deg.

view external and rudder has same amount of swing to right as to left and its using up the full amount of spave looking at the V of the elevator and what I have always noticed.

Fly straight without any rudder input, and it will, so no trim on rudder issues.

This in Blitz 4.53, I have never had a problem like this before, I can rake my enemy with gunfire using rudder., and speed up my turns with it, until now.
    Has install of v5 messed up my 4.53 flight ability, just a thought.

So I fly v5 and for the 109E4 its 48 secs hard left to get through 90 deg of compass. Not much angle on stick required., same slowness but for a few secs.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    What aircraft are you using? Is this in straight and level flight at normal airspeed? And does it act this way with other planes? When the rudder moves in external view is it going to full left and full right? Thanks
    BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Apr-06-2021 at 16:36.