Thread: Default Aircraft Skins reset?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    6.57 GB

Default Aircraft Skins reset?

Hi all

Got to say im really not a fan of the default aircraft skins in Clod - they appear a little too light.

The darker versions - particularly spitfires and hurricanes look much better and more realistic - In my opinion

Is there a way to reset or overwrite the default setting or aircraft skins?

Cheers

GREYCAPIL2 CLOD.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Re: Default Aircraft Skins reset?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkarjt1 View Post
    Hi all

Got to say im really not a fan of the default aircraft skins in Clod - they appear a little too light.

The darker versions - particularly spitfires and hurricanes look much better and more realistic - In my opinion

Is there a way to reset or overwrite the default setting or aircraft skins?

Cheers

GREYCAPIL2 CLOD.png

Sorry, there is no way for users to change default skins. You can only change user skins.

The Spitfire and Hurricane are problematic. The dds files are tricky to work with to get a good colour result. It is much easier in jpg format. I have made jpg skins that look fine, but have worked a lot with the dds files without getting a result that works well in all lighting conditions. This is more of a problem with these 2 aircraft than with any other. This is the case for the channel skins (temperate), but strangely they were OK to work with for the desert colours.
    Last edited by major_setback; Apr-22-2021 at 00:52.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    6.57 GB

Real shame but i suppose we can all live with it.

On another note - are you on the development team?

If so there are a couple of other things, not sure if they have been raised before:

- Aircraft being invulnerable to trees - its a bit odd when you see planes litterally fly through trees and nothing happens.

- Second one which only bugs me because im a nerd is the spinner hub on the Spitfire 1A which is wrong, that short stubby spinner wasn't mounted on Spitfire 1A's, they should have the same spinner as the Mk1, the de havilland spinner hub was more common on the MkII's.

How easy would it be to rectify those points?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

- Aircraft being invulnerable to trees - its a bit odd when you see planes litterally fly through trees and nothing happens.
    That only applies to AI controlled aircraft though.
    Buzzsaw said on the IL-2 forums:
    "AI aircraft will not deliberately go below a certain altitude... (approximately 20 meters) unless landing... so normally they will not encounter trees"

Aircraft which encounter tress are normally those which are critically damaged and will go down anyways.
    AI not colliding with trees is a performance compromise and the costs in terms of system strain are seen as not being worth it.
    Last edited by Karaya; Apr-22-2021 at 06:56.

5. Likes major_setback, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Real shame but i suppose we can all live with it.

On another note - are you on the development team?

If so there are a couple of other things, not sure if they have been raised before:

- Second one which only bugs me because im a nerd is the spinner hub on the Spitfire 1A which is wrong, that short stubby spinner wasn't mounted on Spitfire 1A's, they should have the same spinner as the Mk1, the de havilland spinner hub was more common on the MkII's.

How easy would it be to rectify those points?

The issues mentioned above are not to do with skins, or default skins, or users skins, so unfortunately I can't help you with those questions, despite the fact that I'm on the development team.
    You need to ask 3D modellers and others.

Developers work on their own confined areas of development. I only know my own area of work - skins.
    You can quote me on this: I know nothing about anything but skins (though I may be able to help with advice regarding interior decorating and horticulture).

Thanks for your comments. And thanks for your interest!
    Last edited by major_setback; Apr-22-2021 at 10:52.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    6.57 GB

Thought that might be the case but thankyou for the reply - could you point in in the direction of anybody from the 3D Modelling side of things?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Thought that might be the case but thankyou for the reply - could you point in in the direction of anybody from the 3D Modelling side of things?

Thanks!
    Regarding your spinner question:

Firstly, someone with knowledge of how the spinner should really look has to decide if change is needed before any work is done. We can't just accept someone's word that something is wrong. It needs to be investigated. This applies to all aspects of the game. Secondly, if you have great references proving your point that changes need to be made then you should absolutely make sure you show your reference material. There are very many cases where people claim a skin or 3D model is 'wrong' without substantiating their claim. We are not going to change anything unless there is proof that it is wrong. You need to provide solid evidence.
    Buzzsaw probably knows best regarding the spinner. He wont make any of the changes himself, but he is most likely to know if you are right.
    I suggest you make a post on the forum about each issue separately ... maybe in General Discussion.
    We are very dedicated in our goal to make an accurate game, but we have to base our decision regarding changes on solid facts.

You would be surprised just how many people say 'this is wrong' 'that isn't right' without providing a shred of information on why they have come to their conclusion. We can't possibly be expected to investigate each of these claims ourselves. If something is wrong please show us how.

We are willing to make changes and are thankful and appreciative of any input or factual information that may improve the game.
    Last edited by major_setback; Apr-23-2021 at 12:23.

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The blunt spinner of the mkIa represents the use of the Rotol CSP which used a laminated wood prop instead of the De Havilland metal prop. DH started out with a two pitch design but also created a CSP unit as well.
    TFS chose the Rotol design when representing the CSP-modified mkI instead of the DH.

I believe the mkVa uses the DH CSP prop. But this might be the only version of it in the sim.
    Last edited by Biggs; Apr-23-2021 at 15:01.