Thread: RAF Constant Speed Propellers

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

RAF Constant Speed Propellers

I found this interesting article about the use of constant speed propellers by the RAF during the Battle of Britain. It tells the story of a driven Squadron Leader working with industry to convert Fighter Command's force over to CSPs. By early August all Spitfires had CSPs and Hurricanes were converted by the middle of that month, all without taking the planes out of service.

I've never read about this impressive task in the historic writing on the battle.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs...attle-britain/

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    276.39 MB

Re: RAF Constant Speed Propellers

This is very interesting.

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Spitfires were converted earlier... most done by July... Hurricanes all by late August.

It was a relatively simple matter to convert the existing two pitch De Havilland props to constant speed... could be done in a couple hours.

People have asked why we don't have Constant Speed De-Havilland Spit IA models... which would look identical to the Two Pitch Spit I's.... the reason is there was very little difference in performance between the Spit IA with a Rotol CSP prop and the Spit IA with the De Havilland CSP... and would just clutter up the game with additional aircraft... and cause lots of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
    I found this interesting article about the use of constant speed propellers by the RAF during the Battle of Britain. It tells the story of a driven Squadron Leader working with industry to convert Fighter Command's force over to CSPs. By early August all Spitfires had CSPs and Hurricanes were converted by the middle of that month, all without taking the planes out of service.

I've never read about this impressive task in the historic writing on the battle.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs...attle-britain/

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper, rontaila, ATAG_Headshot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Good stuff!
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.