Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prototypes for some new products

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Prototypes for some new products

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    Thanks for the glowing review, Snapper!
    I see you have a CH quadrant on the desk too...have you taken a look at my deskmount Quadrant controller (QQ4)? Like the QT3 Trim module, it also comes with switches or encoders, and has adjustable length levers.

Regards,

Kendy
    re review: my pleasure - definitely having fun putting this unit through its paces. It’s very robust, you make good stuff.

This QQ4 Quadrant controller is worth a look. I’ve been flying multi-engined a/c of late which is quite a departure from my beloved Spitfires. My CH Quadrant has done yeoman service, but after many years it’s getting a bit worse for wear…one of the switches has died, and a couple of the axis are getting a little spiky.

Recently I’ve added the DCS Mosquito to my collection and I’m dying to try OBOE. I’ve not had an opportunity to get into it yet, but I think some missions are out there now featuring OBOE. Your QQ4 might be very handy for this…..

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Almost ready to release an early version of the Cessna controller.

The 172 will have just Throttle, Mixture, Flaps, and optional Elevator trim wheel. Also optional will be the desk mount clamp. It will come with a mounting plate that can be mounted to either the top or the bottom surface of a desk. Trim wheel can be moved to the top of the unit for top surface mounting.

Just fiddling with the print settings to get all the parts to fit properly.

Circuit has been built and firmware written...just have to get some PCBs on order.

I expect to start making these available by the end of the month. Continuing to work on the 177 model, which will have Throttle, Pitch, Mixture, Flaps, and Rudder and Elevator trim.

1kJj3AU.png htKmLZi.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_JackMaxx, 1lokos liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

PCBs arrived the other day, so today I built some up and programmed...works like a charm! Starting to assemble some complete units and make available on my Etsy site.

67IRaGk.jpeg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1121698..._home_active_1
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

5. Likes 1lokos, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

If anyone is interested in the process, here are a few photos of SMD circuit boards in production:

Here's a PCB ready to be stenciled with solder paste:

uEyxICM.jpeg

Ready to assemble:

BzIziaY.jpeg

Manual pick & place:

pdauPb8.jpeg

Ready for the reflow oven:

Hqd54ir.jpeg

Visual Inspection:

xckG8NX.jpeg

Through-hole parts soldered on, and ready for programming and test:

r2xHEAT.jpeg

Assembled onto a trim unit:

inmdSA7.jpeg
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

7. Likes 1lokos, Stormrider, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

"Reflow oven" that's cheating, they should be handmade!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

If possible, please post a picture(s) of the internals of my trim box. I must see what is in that box!
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

So, Kendy saw my enthusiastic review/endorsement of his QT3 deskmount trim controller ( https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post377608 ) and asked if I'd be interested in evaluating a sister product - the QQ4 deskmount throttle quadrant. He had noticed that I have a CH Quadrant and thought it'd be of interest for a comparison. As my CH Quadrant is starting to show its age after a decade of giving yeoman service, I readily agreed. I opted for the QQ4 with the four encoder switches (vs the toggle on/off switches). Within two weeks it was at my door!

As others including myself have found, Gear Falcon packs their products well. Literally a box-in-a-box with bubble wrap in between.

Along with the quadrant body a small plastic bag is included. The contents are impressive: three sets of lever shafts (short x 4, medium x 4, long x 4), 5 lever knobs x 2 in red, yellow, blue, black, and gray. There is also a small Allen key for the lever tension screws, plus a spare plastic clamp head for the deskmount.

Set up: very straightforward. The quadrant body clamps on your desk/table top. The lever arms snap into each slot of the throttle mechanism. The knobs snap into the opposite end of the lever arms. I chose the long lever arms and the black & gray knobs. Nice to have a choice. The sturdy USB cord (~ 2 meters long) plugs into an available USB port (I use a powered USB hub for my peripherals) and you're good to go!

A quick check with the Windows USB Game Controller utility showed all 4 lever axis with full max/min response; the 4 encoders showed proper joystick button response in this utility for both twist each way (left and right), plus push button response for each as well.

As with the QT3 Trim Controller, the QQ4 Throttle Quadrant deskmount body has a nifty flat area on top. Just perfect to place an index card upon with the encoder assignments for easy reference. For both controllers, I hit upon fitting an elastic band around each just before mounting on the desk - a real high tech method to hold the index cards from falling off at the worst possible moment! LOL On Mrs Snapper's suggestion, I made a very simple template in Excel which gives a far better (ie easier to read ) presentation.

Here's a close up:

The blank Excel template can be downloaded here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=253

I've had a chance to try this QQ4 deskmount Throttle Quadrant in Cliff of Dover Tobruk (Wellington 1c Trop), DCS (Mosquito VI), and BoX (P38). All were easy to set up for Axis assignments as well as the encoders.

Some comments: the Gear Falcon QQ4 deskmount Throttle Quadrant compares very well to the CH Throttle Quadrant. The GF has 4 lever axis, the CH has 6. Both are deskmounts, both operate very well. The CH levers are very short (matched by the GF short levers). The CH lever knobs are also changeable, although IIRC there are only two other colours offered as two pairs of knobs. The GF comes with 4 encoders (or 4 on/off toggle switches). The CH comes with 6 on/off switches. To each their own; I personally find the encoder switches to be extremely handy on the bombers for easily handling Fixed Loop Radio Compass frequency and antenna angle adjustments, bombsight airspeed and altitude adjustments, auto pilot left/right adjustments ...... plus there are the push button controls as well. Your mileage and preference may vary.

As with the Gear Falcon QT3 Trim Controller, the QQ4 Throttle Quadrant is built very sturdy. So is the CH Quadrant. One of the CH Quadrant on/off switches died on me recently, but I've had this unit for at least 10 years.

A word to the wise: the QQ4 levers are fairly stiff out of the box. A half-turn counterclockwise on each tensioner screw really smooths them out. But....DON'T DO WHAT I DID! Earlier today I figured that if a little bit of loosening is good, then a LOT of loosening is even better. WRONGO, Snapper!!!! I loosened the tensioner screw out of its retaining nut deep within the deskmount body. I actually heard the tiny retaining nut fall free inside. Worse yet, the lever lost engagement with the gear mechanism that turns the potentiometer inside - the lever moved up and down freely, but no longer turned the potentiometer! Arrgh! Now for the good news - I fixed it. Working slowly and methodically, I carefully opened the body of the unit - noting how the body casing halves fitted together and the innerds (scientific terminology) attached within. A goodly number of screws, but I got to see first hand: this thing is built like a tank! I checked the adjacent lever to see how the gearing was aligned (there was a small groove in the internal gear that marked where the lever body must be re-engaged at its halfway ie (50% throwpoint), then tighten everything up and reassemble. I was sweating all through this ("Hey, Kendy - that unit you sent me? I just broke it!"), but slow and steady wins the race. Actually, I'm impressed - this thing came through my hamfisted handling like a pro with flying colours. Like I said, I got to see its innerds and it's indeed built like a freakin' tank.

So, here it is in my ever-evolving virtual cockpit. I'm lovin' it!

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Jan-14-2022 at 18:56. Reason: added photos

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Doing a redesign on the Trim Box to make it a little easier to manufacture. Also, the microcontroller and peripheral chips are getting hard to find; supply chain issues! So the circuit/PCB has to be redesigned anyway to use a different microcontroller chip. Making a few tweaks to the chassis, but it's just about ready for me to order PCBs.

icaweL3.png OVCB2fT.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Baffin liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Guess what controls I'm thinking of next...

W9G1eeE.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

14. Likes ATAG_Snapper, farley, Flanker35M liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    If possible, please post a picture(s) of the internals of my trim box. I must see what is in that box!
    A couple post above you can see the internals of the new trim box... a little different layout than the one you have, but identical function.

Kendy
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

16. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Mighty impressed with the quality of the work I see. I'm a Fender Factory Authorized Amp tech and appreciate attention to detail. Well done!
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 13sq*Axe View Post
    Mighty impressed with the quality of the work I see. I'm a Fender Factory Authorized Amp tech and appreciate attention to detail. Well done!
    Thanks. I wish I could afford to have this stuff injection molded. You don't know how many iterations I've been through to get it just right! Constantly trying to improve the stuff so it works better and is easier to manufacture.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

TripleTrim and TripleTrim Plus almost ready to send off to the board house. These are a bit tricky because they have to fit precisely with all the mechanical parts, so a lot of detail in placement of parts and bits of the board that have to be routed out, especially because they have to fit both Right and Left handed versions.

awc0HCL.png tMvzdZu.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Got my prototype PC boards today and built some up...
    From Left to Right, TripleTrim Lite, TripleTrim, and TripleTrim Plus. The first two use the same PCB, but the Lite model will not have the switches populated. The photo here is of the Lite model.

o2bzjMA.jpeg Xe8kK7B.jpeg
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

21. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

TripleTrim Lite is now available on Etsy. Mention you saw it here on ATAG and I'll refund $10 on your order!
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1170259..._home_active_1
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

So I've tried my hand at making my first video...it's basically a blatant advertisement for my desk mount trim module, so if you don't want to see an ad DON'T CLICK ON IT!
    Lighting is not the best, but I think it came out pretty good.

WARNING - BLATANT ADVERTISING:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXejtzR1GUI
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Chip shortage is definitely putting a damper on my ability to make USB Joystick controllers, but, using what parts I can squeeze out of the system, I'm coming out with a line of "Gear-Falcon Joystick Controller Lite" models. They will all use the same PCB, but will be programmed in 6 different versions, from 0 analog/9 digital, up to 5 analog/4 digital. I could make more digital inputs using matrixed buttons, but I really don't care for that method... I'm a firm believer in 1 pin, 1 input.
    I'll have another version later on with 5 analog/32 digital using shift registers. I'm looking into maybe doing something with 128 buttons down the road, for those who need a lot of digital inputs. As always, they'll all be serial numbered so you can have multiples on your computer without any confusion.

VBveVVv.png jfgNxoK.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

25. Likes rontaila, farley, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

...and working on some new boards:

QNQuIkz.png Rmsx9Ha.png 5pozplu.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

27. Likes ATAG_Snapper, farley, 1lokos, Flanker35M liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Hard at work making new products and upgrading old ones.
    Here is a look at a very useful little mini-button box available now:

67TdMMO.jpeg XRkOOMv.jpeg

...and making another upgrade to my famous (infamous???) quadrant lever. Decide to do away with the adjustable braking mechanism, and replace with a magnetic brake. Also made the bracket all one piece, and am now using an aluminum shaft. Levers and knobs will be compatible with the V2 lever. Brackets slot together so you can easily gang them together, and there will be a whole range of bezels and angled lever extensions that can be added on. There will be a pin header on the PCB, so no soldering will be necessary. In fact, I plan to upgrade all my stuff with connectors so no more soldering!

MonW50t.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

S! Kendy
    button box looks nice , enough space below each button for a label, could JoytoKey be used to assign macros to the different buttons?
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_JackMaxx View Post
    S! Kendy
    button box looks nice , enough space below each button for a label, could JoytoKey be used to assign macros to the different buttons?
    Absolutely! I use AutoHotKey myself, which is free.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

31. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Getting new V3 Quadrants ready...
    QLsEi10.jpeg

Got my cable-making process down...at least 99% successful, though fairly time-consuming.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1232743...op_home_feat_4
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

33. Likes ATAG_Colander, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Finally getting around to working on this Tomahawk throttle quadrant. I've been using mine for over a year and loving it, but no internal controller, so it was hooked up to an external joystick controller. I just got the PCBs for the built-in controller and am tweaking the software. Hope to have them available real soon now!

A4Y824v.jpeg 3Bs3x3M.jpeg asRGtw8.jpeg
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Working on new version of the small aircraft trim module:

JnIEG1C.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

36. Likes 1lokos, Flanker35M, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Works out very nicely. Just tweaking some print settings before I put it into production. Uses the same control board as the V1. The standard mounting clamp is made to be screwed into the bottom of a desk or table, but there will be an optional desk-mount clamp for removable installation, similar to the V1 desk mount.

Pots have approximately 270 degrees of useful travel... each tick mark here is about 40 degrees of rotation. You can go about 15 degrees past the last tick mark in each direction. In MSFS2020 you can tune the sensitivity to make this move almost exactly with the in-game trim wheel.

YXNaPr1.jpeg
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; May-30-2022 at 11:47.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

38. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I’ve got your clamp-on trim wheels (+ 4 encoders) and clamp-on quadrant (+ 4 encoders) and after months of constant and hard use they continue to work like new. They’ve been easy to assign in CLOD Blitz/Tobruk, IL2-BoX, and DCS (mostly Spitfire and Mosquito). The trim wheels give very fine adjustments - a godsend for the CLOD and DCS Spitfires.

The rudder trim wheel actually helped save my bacon during Saturday’s BOB event on the VCAF server. My Spit la 100 octane was out of ammo and getting chased on the deck by a 109 E4 a ross the channel. I was using every trick in the book to eak out every mph IAS (12 lbs boost, 3,000 rpms, radiator 35% open …… and **perfectly centered rudder trim**). This gave me a steady 312 mph IAS - just enough to keep ahead of the hard-pursuing yellow-nose. As the rad temp crept above 120 F I would decrease revs to ~2500 and open the rad to 50% — using the Gear Falcon rudder trim wheel to make the slight adjustment to stay centered, thus minimizing speed loss through yaw-drag. Made it to Dover Harbour, followed the knap of the earth to Hawkinge…and caught a tree branch on a very low and flat approach and crashed! OOPS! LOL

The Quadrant is nifty for Wellies, Blennies, Beaufighters, and Mossies. The encoders have been a major plus when manipulating the Fixed Loop Radio Compass frequencies and directions, plus Lorenz. I’m looking forward to trying them likewise in the DCS Mossie, including Oboe. Yes, keyboard keys can handle all this, but the encoders’ pushbuttons and dials (left-right) are soooo intuitive - especially when you can’t take your eyes off the respective gauges.

40. Likes Kendy for the State liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Getting there on the new elevator trim...starting to go into production. It's a little slow, considering how many parts go into this, and how long they take to print. I need more printers, I guess. Will be offering with 2 variations on the mount... one that will screw into the bottom (or top) of a desk or table, and one that will clamp on.

XFQxRkJ.png a4ID0v1.png gd0Mxa2.jpeg aSkrmGo.jpeg
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

For the Cessna pilots out there, I'm very close to releasing this setup...

x7ihs6X.png HjX8qKk.png

It can be configured for above or below desk mounting. The mount screws into your desk or table, and the unit can be easily detached from the mount. There will be an optional clamp if you don't want to put screws into your desk.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

43. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Just about there... parts all designed and tweaked. I always do a mock-up of the PCB before ordering so I can make sure everything fits correctly and works as planned. Just doing the PCB layout now. Mounting bracket uses a dovetail, and can be placed on the bottom or the top of your desk for above or below mounting. The trim module will be on the left, and also can be attached to allow above or below mounting. There will an optional clamp for temporary desk mounting.

Fzr5DBx.jpegMU0UFoo.jpegfDU4Dq2.jpegCIx2rXr.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

45. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Artist liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

PC Boards are on the way, here is the prototype ready to fly:
    UW2RsTk.jpeg
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123