Thread: Steam powered Clod and Clod/Blitz Startup and game visuals problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    193.95 MB

Steam powered Clod and Clod/Blitz Startup and game visuals problem

I’ve been away from CLOD for quite some time. I have CLOD and CLOD/Blitz in my Steam library. All of my time was with CLOD (non -Blitz version).

When I click the play button of CLOD the ‘play’ button changes through ‘cancel’ , ‘stop’ and returns to ‘play’ but never leaves the Steam library screen.

If I choose CLOD/Blitz, I can enter the game via the ‘play’ button without issue.

I entered Single Player, Single Mission, Free Flight as an initial test. Once in Free Flight the spinning propeller visual is choppy, seems to have bars moving through it and the engine/wind noise is much different that I remember (unrealistic).

So, CLOD won’t open and CLOD/Blitz prop visual is distracting causing the game to be unplayable.
    Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Re: Steam powered Clod and Clod/Blitz Startup and game visuals problem

Prop visibility can be affected by the epilepsy filter in video options, change it and see if prop visibility is reduced
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

3. Likes major_setback liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Welcome back!

You don't need the original Clod anymore. Blitz is the one and only official version, that also gets regulat updates.
    Maybe try to verify your installation of Blitz through Steam, this sometimes helps.
    Also check the 'Getting Started and Troubleshooting Guide' that is in the in-game manuals.

Hope you can sort out your problems soon!

S!

DerDa

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    193.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_JackMaxx View Post
    Prop visibility can be affected by the epilepsy filter in video options, change it and see if prop visibility is reduced
    Great tip!
    I activated the epilepsy filter and the propeller displayed properly.

I reduced the signal gain on the speakers and the audio cleared up. No more growling wind noise and the engine purrs just fine now.

7. Likes ATAG_Snapper, DerDa, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    193.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Welcome back!

You don't need the original Clod anymore. Blitz is the one and only official version, that also gets regulat updates.
    Maybe try to verify your installation of Blitz through Steam, this sometimes helps.
    Also check the 'Getting Started and Troubleshooting Guide' that is in the in-game manuals.

Hope you can sort out your problems soon!

S!

DerDa
    Thanks DerDa,

I deleted the CLOD program files and will just fly Clod/Blitz from now on.

9. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.76 MB

Once in Free Flight the spinning propeller visual is choppy, seems to have bars moving through it
    I get the same effect and my AA settings affect it (and whether I use external video drivers or the in game settings). This is with an older type radeon rx480 and drivers

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Once in Free Flight the spinning propeller visual is choppy, seems to have bars moving through it
    Choppy lines can also be resolution/screen tearing issues. Try the VSYNC option on/off and try running it with the game at Full Screen and Pseudo. Personally I have better results running Pseudo and VSYNC on through my Nvidia control panel. We all have different systems/screens etc so it's rarely 1 method that best suits all.

Also a good tip is any time you make graphics changes delete the 'cache' folder from the root entry. Also after any game updates. A new cache folder is created on re-launch. Out of habit I delete my cache folder after each session. It's a frequent culprit in graphics glitches and an easy fix.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Jun-17-2021 at 17:28.

12. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

I have set my gpu output to 1 frame less then the refresh rate of my monitor(tv), this helps i believe with freezing and tearing, also easier on gpu, no point having your gpu pump out 144 fps to a 60 hz tv.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    236.47 MB

Did you get the stuttering prop fixed? I am struggling with it now but most noticeable in Quick missions. Not perfect but better in Single or Campaign.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JS81Knows View Post
    Did you get the stuttering prop fixed? I am struggling with it now but most noticeable in Quick missions. Not perfect but better in Single or Campaign.
    Jackmaxx‘s suggestion is what also works for me to stop screen tearing.
    144 Hz Freesync monitor, but when flying high CloD will have over 300 fps. So I limit it in Nvidia Control panel to 143 fps and leave V-Sync to fast.

Monitor stays at 143 fps and whenever it drops lower, if ever, the monitor will adjust.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52_J-HAT View Post
    144 Hz Freesync monitor, but when flying high CloD will have over 300 fps. So I limit it in Nvidia Control panel to 143 fps and leave V-Sync to fast.
    Don't forget that V-Sync on NVidia works in this way ( said in brief and in a very simple way):

- V-Sync Fast: It works in any game but to work properly you need the double ammount of FPS ( at least ) in respect to your monitor refresh rate. To make an example I'll use the data of 9./JG52_J-HAT above.

144 Hz monitor refresh rate

300 fps in game

144x2 = 288 fps ( This is the minumum fps value needed to have the fast V-Sync working properly ( The more you exceed the minum value the better )
    In this example 9./JG52_J-HAT can enable V-Sync Fast because he exceeds the minumum fps value ( Minimum value 288, his fps 300 )
    Triple Bufferening on " Off ". Low latency mode on " Ultra ". ( If you decide to enable V-Sync Fast )

..but as you can see above he decided to limit his fps to 143 ( I guess using the formula 144 -1 ) so in brief he will have V-Sync Fast enabled on his Nvidia control pannel but it will not get the full advantages of having it enabed ( or rather higher fps with smooth gameplay ). Note in fact that if, for example, he select V-Sync ON ( or rather refresh rate fixed to the same of the monitor ) he will get the exact same result, or rather about 144 fps in game.
    In this example you can note that, if he wants to keep a 143 fps limit, it was better to enable V-Sync ON instead of V-Sync Fast considering that he has a monitor with a refresh rate of 144 Hz.

- V-Sync ON: If you can't achieve what written above use always the V-Sync ON. Triple Bufferening on " On ". Low latency mode on " Ultra ". ( If you decide to enable V-Sync On )

As always every computer is a different story from another and what written above are just general guidelines. So make always a couple of tests using different settings and use the settings that you think are the best for your PC/Games. Last but not least remember that despite what said above, certain games run better with V-Sync ON ( Generally the old ones ), others with V-Sync Fast ( Generally the newest games ).

Additional Note: Note that here I've covered only the V-Sync argument. There are lots of other things in addition to this that you can do to improve your game performances.
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Jul-25-2021 at 18:09.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

17. Likes Little Bill, AKA_Blasto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I currently run GTX1080ti x2 in SLI, and find it necessary to use V-Synch FAST to prevent the propeller tearing anomaly. This has been necessary on my last two TV monitors at 4K resolution using 980ti and 1080ti's (SLI or single). Both 55 inch TV's, one LED and one OLED. (Both 60Hz TV's).
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-26-2021 at 12:17.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    I currently run GTX108ti x2 in SLI, and find it necessary to use V-Synch FAST to prevent the propeller tearing anomaly. This has been necessary on my last two TV monitors at 4K resolution using 980ti and 1080ti's (SLI or single). Both 55 inch TV's, one LED and one OLED. (Both 60Hz TV's).
    Where did you get that GTX108ti? LOL

I do not want to be wong but I presume that your issue comes from a bit of bottleneck by the SLI video data flow... ( Just a guess )...

Out of interest, just curious because we got a very similar PC build...Do you notice any major differences/advantages/performance gains in using SLI in respect that a single GTX1080ti?
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Jul-26-2021 at 09:38.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders View Post
    Where did you get that GTX108ti? LOL

I do not want to be wong but I presume that your issue comes from a bit of bottleneck by the SLI video data flow... ( Just a guess )...

Out of interest, just curious because we got a very similar PC build...Do you notice any major differences/advantages/performance gains in using SLI in respect that a single GTX1080ti?
    I can't perceive a big difference in CLoD with SLI but the use monitors show that it is boosting performance by 20-40%. It definitely adds FPS to other flight sim applications. It is not as problematic as many users claim, but mine must be tweaked with MSI Afterburner to optimize performance.

Also remember, my system is using a 60 Hz monitor. For that reason, I set the refresh rate on the GTX to 60 Hz. (V-Synch FAST is required for my system). I wish I could convince my bride to surprise me with one of the new 120MHz OLED's by LG.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-26-2021 at 15:21.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

21. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Monitor stays at 143 fps and whenever it drops lower, if ever, the monitor will adjust.
    If you have an NVIDIA card you can not use Freesync, only GSync would work for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_G-Sync
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSync

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Maru, yes you can.

And FSR, which is also from AMD, for example.

And if my own experience running it isn‘t enough, here are some links from a quick google search:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...nitor.3482336/

https://www.techspot.com/article/177...vidia-geforce/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3333...ics-cards.html

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/12/1...eesync-monitor

I am sure google has a lot more examples. That‘s just from the first page.
    Last edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT; Jul-26-2021 at 15:11.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

24. Likes Maru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Also remember, my system is using a 60 Hz monitor. For that reason, I set the refresh rate on the GTX to 60 Hz. (V-Synch FAST is required for my system). I wish I could convince my bride to surprise me with one of the new 120MHz OLED's by LG.
    I have the TV at 4K 60 Hz and the other monitor 4K ( a PC one ) that has the Hz selectable of 60 or 120 ( 120 Hz If you lower the res to HD ).

The big problem on the PC monitor is that compared to the TV it's small and I can't see a flak ( In 4K res you basically need a guide dog for the blinds to be able to spot the aircraft dots )

Add to this that actually most of the WW2 flight sims are poorly optimised for the 4K res.
    IMHO the max res in a WW2 flight sim that you can use nowadays is the 2K ( At least you can still see/spot something ). If you want to have beautiful graphics the 4K res is marvellous ( can't guess what it could be in 8K ) but to remain effective, IMHO, the HD res ( 1920x1080 ) is still the best.
    The counterside is that, now that I'm accustomed to the 4K res, when I lower the res to HD it seems to play on a Commodere 64 LOOL ... ( and that's also one of the main motives that is keeping me away from buying VR googles..the low res they have I mean )
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Jul-26-2021 at 17:31.

My PC specs

26. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

...and something I forget to mention...With GeForce Experience if you enable the Beta features under the performance table you have a new beta feature available in the Game Overlay Performance Panel, which allows you to optimize the GPU for lower rendering latency with a single click.

LINK: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3621...rclocking.html
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Jul-26-2021 at 18:03.

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Good to know, so it was a scam after all, that whole GSYNC, you just needed an update on the drivers to make it compatible.. back when I bought mine this wasn't available, thanks for educating me.

Maru, yes you can.

And FSR, which is also from AMD, for example.

And if my own experience running it isn‘t enough, here are some links from a quick google search:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...nitor.3482336/

https://www.techspot.com/article/177...vidia-geforce/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3333...ics-cards.html

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/12/1...eesync-monitor

I am sure google has a lot more examples. That‘s just from the first page.

29. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Good to know, so it was a scam after all, that whole GSYNC, you just needed an update on the drivers to make it compatible.. back when I bought mine this wasn't available, thanks for educating me.
    I bought my monitor last year and was initially looking for Gsync exactly because I thought they were proprietary so to speak. But when I saw the prices I started searching for Freesync compatibility with Nvidia cards and was glad they were compatible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders View Post
    I have the TV at 4K 60 Hz and the other monitor 4K ( a PC one ) that has the Hz selectable of 60 or 120 ( 120 Hz If you lower the res to HD ).

The big problem on the PC monitor is that compared to the TV it's small and I can't see a flak ( In 4K res you basically need a guide dog for the blinds to be able to spot the aircraft dots )

Add to this that actually most of the WW2 flight sims are poorly optimised for the 4K res.
    IMHO the max res in a WW2 flight sim that you can use nowadays is the 2K ( At least you can still see/spot something ). If you want to have beautiful graphics the 4K res is marvellous ( can't guess what it could be in 8K ) but to remain effective, IMHO, the HD res ( 1920x1080 ) is still the best.
    The counterside is that, now that I'm accustomed to the 4K res, when I lower the res to HD it seems to play on a Commodere 64 LOOL ... ( and that's also one of the main motives that is keeping me away from buying VR googles..the low res they have I mean )
    Like you, I's so used to 4k CLoD gaming that I feel like I rolled out the old TI-99/4A with 1080p selected.
    Have you read any reviews of the new 120 MHz LG brand OLED TV's when used for gaming at 4K?

EDIT: Pretty good review added:

https://www.techradar.com/best/120hz-4k-tvs
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-28-2021 at 14:39. Reason: Review added. Answered my own question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Have you read any reviews of the new 120 MHz LG brand OLED TV's when used for gaming at 4K?
    Nope not yet mate...is it a tv or a PC monitor?

My PC specs