Thread: Warthog HOTAS Problems - Hoping for assistance

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Warthog HOTAS Problems - Hoping for assistance

I recently got the Warthog Throttle & HOTAS to replace my old CH setup. All seemed well other than a slight roll to the left (the aircraft, not me!) when flying, suggesting that calibration was in order. Given that no calibration tool is included with the Warthog, I used the Windows 10 calibration tool, which confirmed that the stick was slightly left of centre, but it didn't fix the issue. Then I saw that a Warthog Stick Calibration Tool was available. I downloaded HW_Stick Calibration_V1.13 and tried it.

Here's the problem: now Controls Options only recognises the X and Y of the joystick as one component. The slightest movement of the joystick on either axis results in extreme fluctuation of BOTH ailerons and elevators with neither returning to neutral once the stick is centred. This makes it impossible to control the aircraft. I have not been able to undo this. Here's what I've tried so far:

• Deleted the individual aircraft profile in Configurations settings and created a new profile - didn't work
    • Uninstalled, then reinstalled the Thrustmaster drivers and firmware - didn't work

After the fact (unfortunately), I read that combining the windows calibration tool and the Thrustmaster stick calibration tool can corrupt something in the system. Though what exactly, and how to fix the issue isn't made clear.

I am hoping that someone on the forums may have some advice of how to rectify this issue, as I'm out of ideas and will need to go back the to old CH Combatstick until this gets sorted. Note that I am not using the Thrustmaster TARGET software as it looked a bit over the top for my 'plug and play' needs and I had read that it is not necessary. Happy to use it though if it may solve the issue.

Any thoughts, advice etc. gratefully accepted as the Warthog HOTAS, when all is well, feels so much better than the old CH.

Thanks in advance.
    Bubba
    ATAG_Bubba

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Warthog HOTAS Problems - Hoping for assistance

An interesting thread on this topic, Bubba:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/35932...1122842/?ctp=2

Hope this helps!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

3. Likes ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Thanks Snapper,
    I'll check that out and report back.
    ATAG_Bubba

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    An interesting thread on this topic, Bubba:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/35932...1122842/?ctp=2

Hope this helps!
    Had a read and tried following the advice on the link Snapper, but unfortunately no go. Thanks anyway.

I can get the Windows app open, but no matter what I do the cursor/cross icon jumps around and sees both both the X and Y axis as one item. This conflict between the Windows and after market calibration apps has really messed things up.

I tried deleting the CoD ConfUserfile hoping that a new one would fix the issue, but the problem persists. But to be honest, I'm whistling in the dark there as I really have no idea what I'm doing messing about with these files. It seems that some file in relation to the HOTAS is corrupted, but I have no idea which one. Looks like this may take a while to sort out. I suppose when all else fails contact Thrustmaster tech support to see if they have any answers.

Thank the Lord I didn't chuck out the old CH Combatstick. It's sloppy as all get out, but it works!

In the meantime if anyone has experienced this before, or has any ideas how to resolve this, feel free to post something here, or PM me.

Thanks all.
    ATAG_Bubba

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/...lightstick-en/

I do not have this stick and no experience with it. Did you try updating the firmware? That might help; details on the page linked with Windows drivers package etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Found this link dealing with Thrustmaster joystick calibration (in this case the TM16000 stick). This is Thrustmaster software and the thread addresses a work around to get the calibration tab to appear. Sounds a bit glitchy, but I wonder if this will work.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/thr...ration.491198/

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

8. Likes ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Bubba View Post
    I can get the Windows app open, but no matter what I do the cursor/cross icon jumps around and sees both both the X and Y axis as one item. This conflict between the Windows and after market calibration apps has really messed things up.
    You need calibrate the stick and throttle before first use, using Thrustmaster TARGET software, don't use Windows calibration.

After calibrate open the Windows Game Controllers (joy.cpl) and test if axes, buttons respond correctly.

Only after assure that all is correctly assign de axes and buttons in the game.

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Unfortunately, work and RL leaves me little time to get things sorted at the moment. I’ll research more later this week. Ive heard mixed reports re the TARGET software, but I’ll have a crack at it maybe over the weekend. As I mentioned earlier I was using the stick with no problems until I used the ‘calibration tool’ from Thrustmaster after using the Windows calibration tool. It was using that tool that has somehow messed everything up on the joystick. Luckily the throttle is still fine.

In the meantime I’ll soldier on with my old CH stick until this problem gets resolved. I’ll report back once I’ve found the cause just in case anyone else experiences this issue.

Cheers all.
    ATAG_Bubba

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I unloaded all things Thrustmaster from the Windows 10 control panel and restarted the computer.

I then downloaded and installed driver "2018_TMHW_1.exe".

I then executed "Firmware Update", which is now located in the Windows Start menu (Usually Desktop lower left), for both Joystick and Throttle in the "Thrustmaster" folder.

I then downloaded and installed "TARGET_v3016(615v2).exe"

I then downloaded "TARGET_Script_Editor_Basics_v1.5_ENG.pdf", and spent a week reading it.

Then I read it again.

I then spent a lot of time practicing script writing until the light finally came on. It's not very intuitive, but you can do a lot of stuff not usually found in the CLoD system. (Example: Aileron Trim for RAF fighters.)

Here's my CLoD Spitfire profile that I use. Remember, green text that will show up in the TARGET editor is commented out with "//". (This post is black text only). I use these green comments for notes, or simply to disable and save a scripted feature that didn't work. Save The file below with your name of choice (eg Spitfire) to a folder you create in order to store TARGET scripts. Then you can open it with the TARGET menu after you start the program.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

include "target.tmh"

int main()
    {
    if(Init(&EventHandle)) return 1;

Configure(&Throttle, MODE_FILTERED);//disables &Throttle when combined controller is created.
    Configure(&Joystick, MODE_FILTERED);//disables &Joystick when combined controller is created.

Configure(&HCougar, MODE_EXCLUDED);
    Configure(&T16000, MODE_EXCLUDED);
    Configure(&LMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);
    Configure(&RMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);

SetKBRate(32, 50);
    SetKBLayout(KB_ENG);
    SetShiftButton(&Joystick, S4);//PADDLE SWITCH IS "L_SHIFT" KEY

RotateDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, DX_Y_AXIS, -27); //simulate a -27° twisted centred stick

MapAxis(&Joystick, JOYX, DX_X_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
    SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYX, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Joystick, JOYY, DX_Y_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
    SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYY, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, SCX, DX_XROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
    SetSCurve(&Throttle, SCX, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, SCY, DX_YROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
    SetSCurve(&Throttle, SCY, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_RIGHT, DX_Z_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
    SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_RIGHT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, DX_ZROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);
    SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

ActKey(PULSE+KEYON+LED(&Throttle, LED_INTENSITY, 0)); //set ThrottleBase backlight power to 0(OFF)

//MapKey(&Throttle, EFRNORM, PULSE+'!');//Boost Cutout Override.
    //MapKey(&Throttle, EFROVER, PULSE+'!');//Boost Cutout Override.
    KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, 'IOUMD', //Boost cutout override toggle at Left Throttle gate. Zone 50 added 20200825.
    AXMAP2(
    0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, PULSE+L_SHIFT+'1', 0
    ));

MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, DX_SLIDER_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);//Smoothly move Radiator Flaps
    SetCustomCurve(&Throttle, THR_FC, LIST(0,0, 50,50, 100,100));//Set slider midpoint to 50%.

//KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, //Open KeyAxis to assign keys to slider axis. PULSE IS AUTOMATICALLY APPLIED IN KeyAxis!
    //0, AXMAP1( //Use AXMAP mode 1
    //5, //Establish 5 equal zones on slider.
    //L_CTL+'a',//Pulse a when slider increases into a zone.
    //L_CTL+'z' ////Pulse z when slider decreases into a zone.
    //));//Close AXMAP1 and Close KeyAxis. Realistic slider now has 5 zones. ***Insufficient CLoD movement***

MapKey(&Joystick, H2U, TEMPO(PULSE+L_CTL+KP8, L_CTL+KP8, 200)); //Slow or fast Zoom in
    MapKey(&Joystick, H2D, TEMPO(PULSE+L_CTL+KP2, L_CTL+KP2, 200)); //Slow or fast Zoom out

MapKey(&Joystick, H2R, PULSE+KP5);//70 Degree VIEW
    //MapKey(&Joystick, H2L, PULSE+KP5);//70 Degree VIEW

MapKeyIOUMD(&Throttle, CHB, R_CTL, R_CTL, R_CTL, R_CTL, R_CTL);//Comms Mic...Red China Hat switch back (LUBRICATED 2/20/20STICKS)

//MapKey(&Throttle, CHF, R_CTL+'w'); //Teamspeak Whisper Mic... Red China Hat switch fwd
    //MapKey(&Throttle, MSL, R_CTL); //is Available
    //MapKey(&Throttle, MSU, R_CTL); //is Available
    //MapKey(&Throttle, MSD, R_CTL); //is Available
    //MapKey(&Throttle, MSP, R_CTL); //is Available

MapKey(&Joystick, S3, R_ALT); //VAC microphone

MapKey(&Joystick, H1L, REXEC(0, 50, "TrimDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, -2);"));//Aileron Trim Offset RUN Left
    MapKey(&Joystick, H1R, REXEC(0, 50, "TrimDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, 2);"));//Aileron Trim Offset RUN Right

MapKey(&Joystick, H1D, REXEC(1, 120, "TrimDXAxis(DX_Y_AXIS, 1);"));//RUN Elevator Trim Offset DOWN slightly
    MapKey(&Joystick, H1U, REXEC(1, 120, "TrimDXAxis(DX_Y_AXIS, -1);"));//RUN Elevator Trim Offset UP slightly

//MapKey(&Throttle, CSL, is Available
    //MapKey(&Throttle, CSR, is Available

//MapKey(&Throttle, CSD, is Available
    //MapKey(&Throttle, CSU, is Available

MapKey(&Throttle, EORIGN, EXEC("TrimDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, SET(0)); TrimDXAxis(DX_Y_AXIS, SET(0));"));//Center Elevator and Aileron Trim Offset
    //MapKey(&Throttle, EOLIGN, is available

MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPU, PULSE+'l');//Mixture lean.
    MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPD, PULSE+'k');//Mixture rich.

MapKey(&Joystick, H3U, PULSE+F12);//TrackIR Center
    MapKey(&Joystick, H3D, PULSE+F9);//TrackIR Pause - Freezes the TrackIR
    MapKey(&Joystick, H3R, PULSE+'m');//Mirror Toggle
    MapKey(&Joystick, H3L, PULSE+(R_CTL+'s'));//Riva Stats Toggle

MapKey(&Joystick, H4R, CHAIN(PULSE+TAB, D(300), PULSE+'7', D(300), PULSE+'1', D(300)));//TAB-7-1. Request Targets
    MapKey(&Joystick, H4P, CHAIN(PULSE+TAB, D(300), PULSE+'4', D(300), PULSE+'4', D(300), PULSE+'2', D(300)));//TAB-4-4-2. Request Mission Stats.
    MapKey(&Joystick, H4L, PULSE+TAB);//Orders panel CLOSE/OPEN.

MapKey(&Throttle, LTB, CHAIN(PULSE+TAB, D(300), PULSE+'4', D(300), PULSE+'9', D(300)));//TAB-4-9. Take Photo Recon Picture
    MapKey(&Throttle, PSF, CHAIN(PULSE+TAB, D(300), PULSE+'4', D(300), PULSE+'8', D(300)));//TAB-4-8. List Identified Objectives
    //MapKeyIO(&Throttle, PSB, L_SHIFT+(CHAIN(PULSE+TAB, D(300), PULSE+'4', D(300), PULSE+'7', D(300))), //Shifted PSB = TAB-4-7 List secondary Objectives
    // (CHAIN(PULSE+TAB, D(300), PULSE+'4', D(300), PULSE+'6', D(300))));//Unshifted PSB = TAB-4-6 List primary Objectives

}
    int EventHandle(int type, alias o, int x)
    {
    DefaultMapping(&o, x);
    }
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-21-2021 at 08:42.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

14. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Thank for the detailed response Baffin. It's much appreciated. I'll look into the TARGET software - take 'er slow and see how it goes!
    ATAG_Bubba

16. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Hi all,

Well, here's the happy ending to my Warthog joystick calibration woes.

After much faffing around with no luck, I contacted TM Support re this issue. Felt kind of bad, like asking for help at the hardware store! Anyway, they responded pretty quickly and after a bit more faffing around we discovered that it was indeed conflict between the Windows Game Controller software and the TM Drivers/Firmware. To quote TM support...'The HOTAS Warthog (or any of our joysticks, wheels, pedal sets) should never be calibrated using the Windows Game Controller app, as this calibration overlaps with the Warthog's own calibration, and the calibration that can be done with our own calibration software. The Warthog rarely needs an external calibration tool and, when it does, we indeed ask you to please contact us to get the correct tool, that is adapted to your needs.'

Hopefully, this can be of use to anyone who has this issue in the future. Baffin, I really appreciate your info on the TARGET software. I'm working my way through the info you sent, and will have a think about using it.
    In the meantime, I'm happy to have the issue resolved.

Thanks all for the input.
    ATAG_Bubba

18. Likes Bonditaria, Baffin, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Thanks for passing along this manufacturer's response. I never calibrate controllers anymore, since they are all digital these days. I did succumb to the temptation to use the new TM Calibration tool about a year ago, and I remember it messed up my controllers and I had to run the procedure posted above.

Also, I have the TM TPR Pendular rudder system (Which I adore), but had problems using the latest software designed for that product. That's why I included the older TARGET_v3016(615v2).exe application in my installation. It works perfectly this way, but I cannot program the rudder via TARGET. This causes no compromise in performance since I only use the TPR for rudder and brakes anyway.
    I don't know if these problems are related, but I thought I'd share them.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-29-2021 at 08:55.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

20. Likes ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

My Warthog Throttle buttons, hats and all on the right half of it, aren't recognized and won't change status when push in the win 10 game controller calibration panel.

I would like to uninstall/re install, but can't seem to be able to find anywhere a MOP for it.

Any help if you have one or pointing me to somewhere to get it, will be greatly appreciated.

Went to Thrustmaster page but nothing there.

Thanks,

Tep

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Found uninstall/install doc on TM site after more re-search, did both and still have the issue.
    Opened case with TM, we'll keep y'all posted
    Tep

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 3.jg51_tepes View Post
    Found uninstall/install doc on TM site after more re-search, did both and still have the issue.
    Opened case with TM, we'll keep y'all posted
    Tep
    Hi Tepes,
    Sorry to hear of your woes. I had to uninstall all TM drivers, reset the Windows calibration tool to default (which is deceiving because after clicking 'reset to default' it looked like nothing happened, the 'apply' button didn't become clickable, but once I clicked 'ok' the new settings kicked in), reboot my PC and then use the Calibration Tool v1.13 that TM sent me. The calibration tool is a bit odd in that once you've gone through the calibration cycle for the joystick, it asks you to remove the usb device and then plug it back in again. I did this about 4 times before realizing it was going to be an endless cycle and just shut down the calibration tool. I believe the calibration tool for the throttle doesn't have this issue. It all seemed a bit flakey, but finally it worked.
    Hope all goes well and the TM support crew help you get the issue sorted.
    ATAG_Bubba

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Evrikaaaaaa!

Guys, I really feel compelled to post this one.

Was looking again, just about an hour ago at the throttle and without any reason to point me to it, I've split the two halves and started playing with them and buttons.

Yes, long an behold that was the fix, not sure what the middle lock would do to the throttle, maybe inside wiring of sorts, but back in business.

Tep

25. Likes ATAG_Highseas, ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Update:
    Flying and after while issues comes back.
    Found out by trial/error that all fine if I'm past 80% of throttle, anything under the issue comes back.

Definitely seems some wiring issues and I'm going to tell TM about it.

Keep y'all posted.
    Tep

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 3.jg51_tepes View Post
    Update:
    Flying and after while issues comes back.
    Found out by trial/error that all fine if I'm past 80% of throttle, anything under the issue comes back.

Definitely seems some wiring issues and I'm going to tell TM about it.

Keep y'all posted.
    Tep
    Tepes:

If this is happening without starting any Thrustmaster programming Software, then I feel you are correct. You can uninstall TM Software and drivers from the windows control panel and start over.

This sounds like you may have loaded my Spitfire profile. That profile connects the BCO to the throttle gate with this script:
    ----------------------------------------
    KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, 'IOUMD', //Boost cutout override toggle at Left Throttle gate. Zone 50 added 20200825.
    AXMAP2(
    0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, PULSE+L_SHIFT+'1', 0
    ));
    -----------------------------------------
    If so, try commenting out this line with the prefix "//" to deactivate it. (Commented script will turn green in the Script editor)
    Last edited by Baffin; Aug-02-2021 at 10:08.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Wheeling and dealing with TM Tech Support...ended up with cable and/or connector issue.
    That is, cable for/in right half of the throttle going down to base and connecting in there.
    Since my warranty ran over, had to agree to pay around 20 euros or so and they'll ship me the cable.
    Meanwhile after re-seating the connector, all good, but not sure for how long, that's why decided to purchase cable replacement.

For Baffin: I don't use TM software, just their Control Panel to calibrate, so no need for profile, yet. Thanks for details there.

29. Likes ATAG_Bubba, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

G'day Bubba,

Just wondering how you and your warthog are getting along?

I've started to think about replacing my ~ 10 yr old CH Fighterstick and the Warthog might make my short list, along with the twin throttle maybe.

You seem to have had some issues early on - did you resolve them OK?

Ezzie

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    G'day Bubba,

Just wondering how you and your warthog are getting along?

I've started to think about replacing my ~ 10 yr old CH Fighterstick and the Warthog might make my short list, along with the twin throttle maybe.

You seem to have had some issues early on - did you resolve them OK?

Ezzie
    Hi Ezzie,
    Yep, all good now. It’s a long and complicated story though. Pour yourself a drink, sit down and grab your reading glasses!

First, I love the Warthog and all is good now, so there’s a happy ending. It beats my trusty old CH Combatstick hands down (though I do miss the Alieron trim wheel on the CH - it worked on the Spit and Hurri). I get much better overall control.

The problem was that I initially thought it was a little out of whack (it wasn’t) and tried calibrating it using the Windows calibration tool. When that had no effect, I did an internet search and found info on the DCS forums about a mysterious Thrustmaster calibration tool which, for reasons unknown, is not well publicised on the Thrustmaster website. I downloaded and used the TM calibration tool, but once the deed was done, it thoroughly messed up my joystick settings. Yet further research led me to info stating that the Windows calibration tool does not play nicely with the TM calibration tool - conflicts will arise. Great to know…just a bit too late. I had real problems trying to undo the damage, but finally got on to the TM support people who assisted me in resolving the issue. I don’t quite understand why TM don’t publicise this issue or simply have the Calibration tool listed and downloadable on their website as I think it would stop a lot of problems.

Lesson learnt:
    The Warthog comes pre-calibrated and should rarely, if ever need additional calibrating (according to TM)
    Never, ever use the Windows calibration tool for the Warthog
    If you do have any worries about calibration, contact TM support and they will send you the TM Calibration tool. That is the only one to use.

One last thing. The TARGET software that TM recommend is quite powerful but very convoluted. At present, I’m choosing not to use it. Baffin has come to grips with it, but he said it took a while. I may get around to looking at it in more detail, but I’m not ready yet.

Good luck with updating the joystick. I think the Warthog HOTAS/Throttle combo is still a worthwhile contender even though it’s getting a bit long in the tooth. I found mine on sale and when I did all the costing calculations (exchange rate, postage, tax etc.) of the Virpil and other high end sticks, the Warthog still looked good to me.

Hope all this is of some help.
    ATAG_Bubba

32. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Thanks Bubba - glad to see you and the Warthog are getting along nicely it seems.

A couple more questions if you have time to reply

(a) How many of the buttons have you put to good use thus far in COD and other flight sims you fly?

(b) I know you said you havent used it so may not be able to answer - what does the TARGET software give you function wise and is the Warthog still good value for money without it?

(c) In COD are you able to fly your aircraft purely using the Warthog HOTAS / Throttle combo buttons / switches or do you still have to use the mouse? if so which mouse-only controls remain when using the Warthog?

(d) I've read in the forums about some users (not sure if Warthog though) losing their key bindings from time to time and having to redo them. Have you experienced that?

(e) How many USB connections are required to plug the Warthog combo into your PC?

Thanks

Ezzie

Hi Ezzie,
    Yep, all good now. It’s a long and complicated story though. Pour yourself a drink, sit down and grab your reading glasses!

First, I love the Warthog and all is good now, so there’s a happy ending. It beats my trusty old CH Combatstick hands down (though I do miss the Alieron trim wheel on the CH - it worked on the Spit and Hurri). I get much better overall control.

The problem was that I initially thought it was a little out of whack (it wasn’t) and tried calibrating it using the Windows calibration tool. When that had no effect, I did an internet search and found info on the DCS forums about a mysterious Thrustmaster calibration tool which, for reasons unknown, is not well publicised on the Thrustmaster website. I downloaded and used the TM calibration tool, but once the deed was done, it thoroughly messed up my joystick settings. Yet further research led me to info stating that the Windows calibration tool does not play nicely with the TM calibration tool - conflicts will arise. Great to know…just a bit too late. I had real problems trying to undo the damage, but finally got on to the TM support people who assisted me in resolving the issue. I don’t quite understand why TM don’t publicise this issue or simply have the Calibration tool listed and downloadable on their website as I think it would stop a lot of problems.

Lesson learnt:
    The Warthog comes pre-calibrated and should rarely, if ever need additional calibrating (according to TM)
    Never, ever use the Windows calibration tool for the Warthog
    If you do have any worries about calibration, contact TM support and they will send you the TM Calibration tool. That is the only one to use.

One last thing. The TARGET software that TM recommend is quite powerful but very convoluted. At present, I’m choosing not to use it. Baffin has come to grips with it, but he said it took a while. I may get around to looking at it in more detail, but I’m not ready yet.

Good luck with updating the joystick. I think the Warthog HOTAS/Throttle combo is still a worthwhile contender even though it’s getting a bit long in the tooth. I found mine on sale and when I did all the costing calculations (exchange rate, postage, tax etc.) of the Virpil and other high end sticks, the Warthog still looked good to me.

Hope all this is of some help.

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Thanks Bubba - glad to see you and the Warthog are getting along nicely it seems.

A couple more questions if you have time to reply

(a) How many of the buttons have you put to good use thus far in COD and other flight sims you fly?

(b) I know you said you havent used it so may not be able to answer - what does the TARGET software give you function wise and is the Warthog still good value for money without it?

(c) In COD are you able to fly your aircraft purely using the Warthog HOTAS / Throttle combo buttons / switches or do you still have to use the mouse? if so which mouse-only controls remain when using the Warthog?

(d) I've read in the forums about some users (not sure if Warthog though) losing their key bindings from time to time and having to redo them. Have you experienced that?

(e) How many USB connections are required to plug the Warthog combo into your PC?

Thanks

Ezzie
    Hi Ezzie,

No worries.

(a) I've attached a pdf of my current RAF fighter setup for Spitfires and Hurricanes. I've been focusing on them lately, though I do fly Welli's, Blenheims and Beaufighters using a similar setup. As you can see, there's still plenty of spare buttons. Bear in mind I'm still experimenting. I'm also using this setup for DCS and BoX with minor changes due to the different settings available within each sim.

(b) The TARGET software is quite powerful, but baffling, at least to someone like me who has little interest in scripting and little time to work it all out at present. Apparently you can program all sorts of things such as aileron trim on Spitfires and Hurricanes if you want. However the software is intimating and there's not much support from TM in the form of tutorials. I had a look at it and fell at the first post. I might get to it sometime, but not just yet. Baffin said it took him a concentrated effort to come to grips with it. He posted his thoughts on TARGET and and sample profile earlier in this thread. I used the basic setup through the 'Options' menu. It works fine for what I want at the moment.

(c) Yep, I don't think I use the mouse for anything unless I'm trying out an unfamiliar aircraft, though I still prefer using the keyboard bindings for some actions; for example toggling through the autopilot/mode 22 settings for the bombers. I have it set to keyboard 'A' and find it easy to use that way.

(d) I haven't lost any bindings so far, touch wood. I used to lose them every now and then with my old CH setup.

(e) It's one USB connection for the HOTAS and a separate one for the throttle. You'll need two USB connections all up.

Hope that is of some help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ATAG_Bubba

35. Likes ATAG_Ezzie, Meaks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Hi Ezzie,

No worries.

(a) I've attached a pdf of my current RAF fighter setup for Spitfires and Hurricanes. I've been focusing on them lately, though I do fly Welli's, Blenheims and Beaufighters using a similar setup. As you can see, there's still plenty of spare buttons. Bear in mind I'm still experimenting. I'm also using this setup for DCS and BoX with minor changes due to the different settings available within each sim.

(b) The TARGET software is quite powerful, but baffling, at least to someone like me who has little interest in scripting and little time to work it all out at present. Apparently you can program all sorts of things such as aileron trim on Spitfires and Hurricanes if you want. However the software is intimating and there's not much support from TM in the form of tutorials. I had a look at it and fell at the first post. I might get to it sometime, but not just yet. Baffin said it took him a concentrated effort to come to grips with it. He posted his thoughts on TARGET and and sample profile earlier in this thread. I used the basic setup through the 'Options' menu. It works fine for what I want at the moment.

(c) Yep, I don't think I use the mouse for anything unless I'm trying out an unfamiliar aircraft, though I still prefer using the keyboard bindings for some actions; for example toggling through the autopilot/mode 22 settings for the bombers. I have it set to keyboard 'A' and find it easy to use that way.

(d) I haven't lost any bindings so far, touch wood. I used to lose them every now and then with my old CH setup.

(e) It's one USB connection for the HOTAS and a separate one for the throttle. You'll need two USB connections all up.

Hope that is of some help.
    Very useful reply Bubba - much appreciated.

Now to work on the bank manager...

Ezzie

37. Likes ATAG_Bubba, Meaks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Bubba,

Thanks for the advice and recommendation re the Warthog. Had it for just under a week now and so far so good. The precision is much better than my old Fighterstick - i didn't realise how sloppy it had become until i got the Warthog - and I'm slowly getting used to it. Bagged two Huns online high over the trenches on the weekend and i was noticeably much more accurate with the new stick/throttle combo. Biggles was very happy with my progress in his understated way.

The trigger is one thing thing I've noticed is different - needs much more of a positive 'pull' to get the guns to fire. I'm used to it now.

Thanks

Ezzie

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Bubba,

Thanks for the advice and recommendation re the Warthog. Had it for just under a week now and so far so good. The precision is much better than my old Fighterstick - i didn't realise how sloppy it had become until i got the Warthog - and I'm slowly getting used to it. Bagged two Huns online high over the trenches on the weekend and i was noticeably much more accurate with the new stick/throttle combo. Biggles was very happy with my progress in his understated way.

The trigger is one thing thing I've noticed is different - needs much more of a positive 'pull' to get the guns to fire. I'm used to it now.

Thanks

Ezzie
    Hi Ezzie,
    So you took the plunge! Good to hear you’re happy with it. Yep, my experience was similar, though I found the generally solid feel of the Warthog helped me get used to things pretty quickly. The stick and throttle quadrant combo has definitely made flying in all my sims a more enjoyable experience for me.
    All the best
    ATAG_Bubba

40. Likes Meaks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Nice to hear you boys are enjoying your Hogs,I too love my Hog which I've had for about three years,I just love how precise it is and as you mention Bubba the solid feel of the unit,there's also the multitude of buttons/Axis/Sliders that are on tap.

Mind you I had a heart attack the other day when I looked at the current price.....my Hog stick and throttle cost me about £300 over here in the UK and now they have rocketed up to about £459 that's a £159 rise in three years !!!!.....which with all respect is absolutely scandalous

That said if your a serious PC pilot it's a must have,so they have us where they want us don't they

Happy Landings

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

42. Likes ATAG_Bubba, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Meaks View Post
    Nice to hear you boys are enjoying your Hogs,I too love my Hog which I've had for about three years,I just love how precise it is and as you mention Bubba the solid feel of the unit,there's also the multitude of buttons/Axis/Sliders that are on tap.

Mind you I had a heart attack the other day when I looked at the current price.....my Hog stick and throttle cost me about £300 over here in the UK and now they have rocketed up to about £459 that's a £159 rise in three years !!!!.....which with all respect is absolutely scandalous

That said if your a serious PC pilot it's a must have,so they have us where they want us don't they

Happy Landings
    Hey there Meaks,
    Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Yep, they sure are pricey. I was lucky enough to get mine on sale and saved a few bob. I took a look at the TM TPR pedals too. Whew!! A whole other level of pricey here in Australia anyway. I'll be sticking with my old CH pedals for now at least.
    Hope to see you in the virtual sky sometime soon.
    Cheers
    ATAG_Bubba