Thread: WIP Spitfire Engine Sound update

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

WIP Spitfire Engine Sound update

WIP improvements to the Spitfire. Not final product.

New sound is built from the ground up harnessing features from FMOD 5, and includes new load effects designed to work in unison with the game driven data as well as new samples at the correct pitch.

The beauty of the loading effects are that when the throttle is pulled back to midrange, the melodious engine effect will be present and in the case of the Merlin's at the correct pitch. It will likely be more noticeable in the finished event.

This new engine sound really provides the sense of the clatter of these enormous engines, with the all the valves and pistons working away.

Let us know what you think.

Regards,

TFS Team.

To purchase Cliffs of Dover and Desert Wings Tobruk, check out the links below.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...Blitz_Edition/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Wings__Tobruk/

https://il2sturmovik.com/store/cliffs-of-dover/

https://il2sturmovik.com/store/desert-wings-tobruk/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Re: WIP Spitfire Engine Sound update

The new WIP engine sounds seem more realistic to me.

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Sounds good

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Loving where its heading, can't wait to see the results

5. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

The new sound is probably more realistic than practical. By this I mean that it seems to sound like what a pilot without ear protection might experience. However, one of the first things we do when flying motorized airplanes is to do something about the cockpit noise.

Back in the old days, a leather helmet with some cotton in the ears was enough. Modern general aviation piston aircraft pilots either wear "Earmuff" headsets or else turn the radio way up so you can hear it over the cockpit noise. In fast jets, manufacturers go to great lengths designing helmets with noise attenuation padding, but many pilots still wear earplugs under them. The most modern earsets electronically minimize ambient noise with "Noise cancelling" software. My point is that what the engine actually sounds like is not necessarily what the average pilot really hears (or wants to hear). I know that I certainly don't want the true sound of a Merlin in my head while trying to aviate, navigate and especially, communicate.

The current CLoD audio does a good job of attenuating the higher frequencies of engine and wind noises when we close the canopy. I really appreciate that feature. During takeoff and landing, I might be able to appreciate the proposed change to the engine sound profile but I'm not sure it would be realistic in "Helmet on - Canopy closed" operations.

If I was the Sound Czar, I would instead concentrate on improving the sound profiles of bullet impact, airplane and engine damage, and ack-ack impact and nearby explosions. These events should scare the pilot half to death but currently are way too quiet or even sometimes unrecognizable.

The guns don't make enough noise either. (RE: Post#6 below)
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-23-2021 at 08:19.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

7. Likes ATAG_Marlow, Ohms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

Cool Re: WIP Spitfire Engine Sound update

I wonder if the sound of the Browning machine guns are currently too soft. I know this has been debated much, but if the engine sound is such a difference.

9. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

"The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Ah the good old Jimpy or GPMG to give it its official title. General purpose machine gun, lugged plenty of those heavy buggers
    around the place in a previous life

Hals und beinbruch
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Meyer View Post
    Ah the good old Jimpy or GPMG to give it its official title. General purpose machine gun, lugged plenty of those heavy buggers
    around the place in a previous life

Hals und beinbruch
    Lugg?

oh dear lord no!

I hire staff in for that sort of caper.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I’m not sure the rate of fire of these Brownings were as high as the ROF of the pneumatically fed Brownings of the Spits & Hurries, which reportedly gave the “ripping cloth” sound as emulated in Blitz/Tobruk.

Really enjoyed watching this video. Certainly demonstrated how effective a parked Hurricane would be against a parked 109 several football pitches away.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

14. Likes Baffin, ATAG_TCP, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    330.81 MB

Cool. When is this happening roughly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Really enjoyed watching this video. Certainly demonstrated how effective a parked Hurricane would be against a parked 109 several football pitches away.

Isnt that how air battles are fought?

"Guy fires the machine guns used in the Battle of Britain"

Except... he's not

17. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post

Isnt that how air battles are fought?

"Guy fires the machine guns used in the Battle of Britain"

Except... he's not
    Yep!

BTW, does anyone recall the rate of fire of the pneumatically-operated Brownings vs the conventional Brownings shown in the video? The pneumatics were significantly higher, IIRC.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

BTW, does anyone recall the rate of fire of the pneumatically-operated Brownings vs the conventional Brownings shown in the video? The pneumatics were significantly higher, IIRC.
    IIRC it's in the range of ~1200 rounds per minute (unsynchronized).

This site gives the Browning .303 a ROF of 1150rpm:
    http://users.telenet.be/Emmanuel.Gus...n/fgun-pe.html

20. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Yep!

Technically, these guns were not pneumatically operated, but like most early guns were recoil operated. The empty case was extracted and ejected, while the new round was loaded into battery, using kinetic energy from the rearward moving bolt. They could be pneumatically CONTROLLED (Activated) by the shooter (Pilot), but could also be mechanically or even hydraulically controlled, depending on the airplane, vehicle or infantry application. Think of the pneumatic button as a lightweight, easily adjusted trigger mechanism.

Later weapons like the M-1 Garand Battle Rifle and M-14, and the M-16 were "Gas Operated", using firing chamber pressure to operate pistons to activate the bolt. Of course, many modern high rate guns (Miniguns, Vulcans) are all electrically controlled and operated. Even the primers in the M-61 Gatling gun's ammo are electric as opposed to percussion (Firing pin) initiated.

For these reasons, I surmise that the rate of fire for our Mk 2 was a constant for ammunition with the same powder load and bullet weight fired through the same gun. (Chamber Pressure)

In any case, the pneumatic activation should not be a factor.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-23-2021 at 09:21.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

22. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    For these reasons, I surmise that the rate of fire for our Mk 2 was a constant for ammunition with the same powder load and bullet weight fired through the same gun. (Chamber Pressure)
    There are cases however, like the US M2 .50Cal, where the airborne version (AN/M2) had a different (higher) ROF than its infantry version, even when firing the same ammunition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    There are cases however, like the US M2 .50Cal, where the airborne version (AN/M2) had a different (higher) ROF than its infantry version, even when firing the same ammunition.
    M-2 .50 Cal was designed with adjustable rate of fire for managing heat. Today's quick study found no such feature on the M1919 .30 cal. Maybe I missed it but otherwise the CRF would be dependent on the design variant or the ammo pressure. Anything's possible.

In any case, the pneumatic activation should not be a factor.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-23-2021 at 08:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Don't forget cooling is a big factor. Some MGs can have a lowered ROF to avoid overheating in 2 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

Hello all, upcoming changes for graphics and sounds are very promising, and i'm planning to jump in as soon as VR patch is released. Actually getting quite hyped, air war in desert is something i have waited for long time. However sounds being very important for me, is there plans to release updated sound for Daimler-Benz engines too? It's been bit over 2 years now since the video of then upcoming F4 was released, and sound in that video was very promising. Can't feel the power of the engines without brutal, realistic sound.