Thread: Running CoD on Linux with proton

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Post Running CoD on Linux with proton

Hi there,

EDIT: I've edited instructions for getting the game to work and put them here on github along with a script for convenience. When this is no longer necessary (with a future proton update) I will update further.

I'm also using a Saitek Switch Panel with good effect as well - I put together this hack too.
    ---

I have succeeded in getting CoD to run on Linux and thought I'd post here to let others know if they come looking for info on this. I believe I might be the first to do so - I had some help from Valve via an issue on the proton github repo.

As of August 2021, the instructions I used are:

- In Steam, right click on the game, select Properties, Compatibility, and force use of "Proton Experimental" (with wine mono 6.3) (I also tested with the release candidate of Proton 6.3-6, this works - so try the latest proton if you read this after this version is released.)
    - Under "general" set the launch options to PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
    - After trying to run once (it will probably fail), make a symbolic link as follows:

ln -s $HOME/.steam/root/userdata $HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/754530/pfx/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/userdata

If you installed on another drive, edit the locations appropriately.

After this the game should run. Performance is excellent for me.

Now for challenge number 2, at this stage the game works and my HOTAS joystick is detected but not my CH Pro Pedals USB. (If I get a better fix to this problem I will update this post). If I run the game from outside Steam, via the file explorer, I find that the pedals are detected, like this. I don't know why!

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/754530/pfx $HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton\ -\ Experimental/files/bin/wine64 explorer

Then I navigate to the CoD directory on Z: and double-click Launcher64.exe. And the pedals work!

Challenge number 3, is getting head tracking working with Opentrack. This I am yet to solve but will keep working on it, and update this thread if I succeed. So far, I if I use the joydev output they are visible in wine but CoD doesn't detect it - this makes sense as there's no joystick options for head movement. Using the wine output option, which I think is TrackIR emulation, hasn't worked for me so far. This could be a tricky one to get everything right.

I'm very keen to get into this game and re-fight the Battle of Britain so hopefully can get this last issue sorted out!

EDIT: Success! I now have the game running well on Linux with HOTAS, pedals and head tracking working with Opentrack. It took a bit of doing (and there goes another weekend), and I still need to figure out the bits that are voodoo and the bits that are actually necessary, but there shouldn't be huge obstacles to anyone reproducing what I have done. The trick with Opentrack seemed to be building it myself with the latest version of wine (6.15) installed, and then using the wine output of Opentrack with the correct settings (as per this guide).

I will make a more detailed write up and may test it on a clean install. I suspect that step regarding the pedals is unnecessary, I'll keep working on that bit.

Now I can sleep easy and get round to learning and playing the game..!
    Last edited by Martinsyde; Aug-22-2021 at 00:33. Reason: Saitek panel info

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Re: Running CoD on Linux with proton

Very cool!!

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Torian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Welcome to the forum!

Wow! What a first post! Over the years we’ve occasionally been asked if Clod ran on Linux, and we’ve had to regretfully answer “not to our knowledge”. Well, you’ve changed all that and we thank you. Although I’m not personally versed in the magic of Linux, your instructions look very straightforward even to my untrained eyes. Please do keep us posted here on your progress. I will “sticky” this thread to make it a little easier to find. Ultimately, once you’ve finalized the process to your satisfaction, I would like to include your achievement to The Getting Started and Troubleshooting Guide.

Thank you for sharing this!

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Martinsyde View Post
    Challenge number 3, is getting head tracking working with Opentrack. This I am yet to solve but will keep working on it, and update this thread if I succeed. So far, I if I use the joydev output they are visible in wine but CoD doesn't detect it - this makes sense as there's no joystick options for head movement. Using the wine output option, which I think is TrackIR emulation, hasn't worked for me so far. This could be a tricky one to get everything right.
    Have you tried this?
    https://github.com/uglyDwarf/linuxtrack

I see IL2 mentioned here:
    https://github.com/uglyDwarf/linuxtrack/wiki/Wine-Games

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Martinsyde

Are you the same person who posted on Steam as Mars Rover and who I chatted with>?

Thanks

Hi there,

I have succeeded in getting CoD to run on Linux and thought I'd post here to let others know if they come looking for info on this. I believe I might be the first to do so - I had some help from Valve via an issue on the proton github repo.

As of August 2021, the instructions I used are:

- In Steam, right click on the game, select Properties, Compatibility, and force use of "Proton Experimental" (with wine mono 6.3)*
    - Under "general" set the launch options to PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
    - After trying to run once (it will probably fail), make a symbolic link as follows:

ln -s $HOME/.steam/root/userdata $HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/754530/pfx/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/userdata

If you installed on another drive, edit the locations appropriately.

After this the game should run. Performance is excellent for me.

Now for challenge number 2, at this stage the game works and my HOTAS joystick is detected but not my CH Pro Pedals USB. (If I get a better fix to this problem I will update this post). If I run the game from outside Steam, via the file explorer, I find that the pedals are detected, like this. I don't know why!

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/754530/pfx $HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton\ -\ Experimental/files/bin/wine64 explorer

Then I navigate to the CoD directory on Z: and double-click Launcher64.exe. And the pedals work!

I'm very keen to get into this game and re-fight the Battle of Britain so hopefully can get this last issue sorted out!

* I also tested with the release candidate of Proton 6.3-6, this works - so try the latest proton if you read this after this version is released.

8. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Hello Martinsyde

Are you the same person who posted on Steam as Mars Rover and who I chatted with>?

Thanks
    Yep, that's me! Thought this was a better place for a detailed thread.

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Thanks for the tips - I managed to get Opentrack to work in the end (see edit). It was non-trivial in the sense that I tried everything I could think of for hours, but it seems opentrack for a game running under wine/proton is a bit finicky in terms of the compatibility of some components, so a final re-compile of the source and one last test before I gave up, and it worked! So I'm finally in business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Thas Aussie enginuity for ya. Onya Marty

Any particular version of Linux ?
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

13. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torian View Post
    Thas Aussie enginuity for ya. Onya Marty

Any particular version of Linux ?
    I'm using Ubuntu, but this should all be portable.

I'm cleaning things up and will make a script available over the weekend. Then I'm happy to hear from anyone else who has issues trying to get it to run!

15. Likes ATAG_Torian, Artist, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm using Ubuntu, but this should all be portable.

I'm cleaning things up and will make a script available over the weekend. Then I'm happy to hear from anyone else who has issues trying to get it to run!
    I found this excellent thread on the googles and it gave me hope!

My system is Ubuntu 20.04 with an Nvidia-card.

Unfortunately it does not seem to work. I have successfully run cod_fix.sh, although steam doesn't use the .local dir on my system at all. Just had to change the paths, that's all. .

For reference, these are the paths on my system

gamedir="$HOME/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz"
    pfxdir="$HOME/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/9160/pfx/"
    userdata="$HOME/.steam/root/userdata"

Otherwise I've done exactly as instructed. The game starts up, displays the splash screen, and then dies silently. I've tried both proton_experimental and proton 6.3-7, and for the heck of it, I tried removing the "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%" line. Nothing worked.

I tried to start steam from bash to see if there was any useful output when the game crashed. All it said was that there had been an unknown error in either MONO or in one of the native executables or libraries.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure - thanks for the effort, I hope some really robust solution can come from this

BTW: Better introduce myself. I am a IL2 veteran from back in the days when Maddox released his first sim, aiming to once again kill countless hours and hopefully a bandit or two. Haven't flown for years. I've got Battle of Stalingrad running, and I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my new joystick. I used to fly in a squad called =69.GIAP= and my callname back then was =69.GIAP=Roshko, so maybe I flew with someone in here back then? At any rate: Thanks for accepting me in this fine forum of what I am sure is some of the best and most capable, lethal and noble armchair-fighters on the entire interwebs

17. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT, ATAG_Colander, DerDa liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Maybe the original thread on Steam also has something that can help you?
    There is an ongoing discussion about the same problem there.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/75453...2312819063182/

I’m sure Martinsyde (Mars Rover) will be along soon to help you out!
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

19. Likes acebone liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52_J-HAT View Post
    Maybe the original thread on Steam also has something that can help you?
    There is an ongoing discussion about the same problem there.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/75453...2312819063182/

I’m sure Martinsyde (Mars Rover) will be along soon to help you out!

Back from the hell it can be to get your game (BoS) taking input from a joystick (turns out that the device connected fine all the time, but got assigned as "Joy_8" and all BoS default settings was for Joy_0, which is why it "didn't work" )

The more I read about this, the more convinced I am that - although I enjoy BoS immensely - I need the "Maddox"-feel in the game, thus I need to get CLOD running. My computer has actually surprised me in terms of power. Just about the only things I can't maximize in the BoS graphic settings are "4K textures" and another one, also related to memory. Other than that I have 150 km of horizon, can run densely populated campaign maps, and have clouds on the "extreme" setting. So I am about to set up a Windows virtual machine, and check if I can run CLOD in that with acceptable results.

Either my google-fu sucks, or there aren't many posts on the net about getting CLOD to run. Martinydes post here, is the only one I can find with reports of success.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Well - just as I'd written the above, I decided to give it one more shot.

I reread Martinydes instructions, and found that for some reason the symlink between (on my installation)
    Code:
    .steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/754530/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/userdata' -> /home/esm/.steam/root/userdata/
    was missing. I think I misunderstood what the
    Code:
    cod_fix.sh
    script was for.

It does not recognize my joystick, so I have a bit further to go - but the game itself appears to be running absolutely flawlessly!

EDIT: Well actually the game crashes once in a while, and the mission about bombing london crashes it immediately upon load. More things to sort out
    Last edited by acebone; Nov-07-2021 at 06:56.

22. Likes Artist liked this post