Thread: Spitfire 3D Cockpit Update

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Spitfire 3D Cockpit Update

Hi All,

Update on the Spitfire 3D cockpit.

This work is now complete! The cockpit has been significantly improved, with 80% of the cockpit, re-made as part of this work.

Height information is now being painted, including bumps, rivets, paint bumps, rust etc. These will be baked onto the objects, followed by texturing. The second picture references height work.

Regards,

TFS Team.

Spitfire Cockpit 3D work.jpg

Spitfire Cockpit height work.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Re: Spitfire 3D Cockpit Update

For those that don't know, many parts of the Spitfire cockpit were previously 2D.
    Now they have been made into 3D.
    There is obviously a significant difference between these and the 2D cockpits; and this has required 3D modelling work, activation of controls, and implementation of the new 3D controls (plus their animations) into the game.

An example of these new cockpit objects can be seen in the second picture; though there are many more that have been created.

It has not been possible to enable VR while certain cockpit parts remain as 2D. The 3D improvements to the game's cockpits will allow for the forthcoming VR imlementation. So this is a cockpit improvement update as well as a a VR update.
    We are closer now to VR implementation with this necessary transition from 2D to 3D cockpit.

Previously the 2D nature of the textures was all too noticeable when using VR. Flat textures were visible as you moved your head and looked around the cockpit.

We hope this improvement will be appreciated by users.

(I have not personally been involved in the creation of 3D cockpits, or in their texturing, or the implementation of those parts into the game.)

Cheers.
    Last edited by major_setback; Aug-14-2021 at 14:04.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

Cool Re: Spitfire 3D Cockpit Update

Was not aware of this, does the 2D also apply to other cockpits?
    Would be nice to have a graphic update on the 2D objects on the map, for example 2D houses.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Bussard View Post
    Was not aware of this, does the 2D also apply to other cockpits?
    Would be nice to have a graphic update on the 2D objects on the map, for example 2D houses.
    Most the other cockpits were mainly done in 3D, with a few things we are adding. The Spitfire has the most work needed for VR.

Not sure what you mean by 2D houses, maybe texture blocks for towns when viewed from a distance or lowered graphic settings?

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper, rontaila, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

I for one certainly appreciate all this 3D work!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

I mean this, these are screenshots from the Hornchurch area. For the second one would 3D barracks be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus View Post
    Most the other cockpits were mainly done in 3D, with a few things we are adding. The Spitfire has the most work needed for VR.

Not sure what you mean by 2D houses, maybe texture blocks for towns when viewed from a distance or lowered graphic settings?
    Last edited by Bussard; Aug-14-2021 at 16:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The Channel map is being re-done for TF 6.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Excellent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bussard View Post
    I mean this, these are screenshots from the Hornchurch area. For the second one would 3D barracks be nice.
    That is actually one of the ingeniuous optimizations of th original developers - unfortunately combined with a mistake of the same developers: That texture gives the illusion of buildings when you're too far away to have actually 3D buildings (improving FPS) and too far away for you to notice the "fake". When you get closer, 3D buildings are placed on top of the texture and hide it. So far for the ingenious part. The mistake is, that buildings are automatically removed in the perimeter of an airfield and the developer back then (2011) forgot to remove the texture in this place after he placed the airfield. There`s another spot at Lympne.

But, as RAF74_Buzzsaw wrote: We are working on it.
    :-)

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

That’s great news about the Channel being redone!

Hopefully more details will be published soon. Hoping for higher resolutions textures!

And any chance the modern field textures can be replaced by 1940s patterns? Some of the textures have the typical mechanized agriculture patterns left behind by machines going up and down the field.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Buzzsaw....is that a complete rebuild and scrapping of the current version which has caused so many issues for mission builders due to parts of the map being broken? Second question will it cover a larger area than the current one?

Thanks for the news
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    That is actually one of the ingeniuous optimizations of th original developers - unfortunately combined with a mistake of the same developers: That texture gives the illusion of buildings when you're too far away to have actually 3D buildings (improving FPS) and too far away for you to notice the "fake". When you get closer, 3D buildings are placed on top of the texture and hide it. So far for the ingenious part. The mistake is, that buildings are automatically removed in the perimeter of an airfield and the developer back then (2011) forgot to remove the texture in this place after he placed the airfield. There`s another spot at Lympne.

But, as RAF74_Buzzsaw wrote: We are working on it.
    I have often wondered about those !

Very interesting.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

14. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Buzzsaw....is that a complete rebuild and scrapping of the current version which has caused so many issues for mission builders due to parts of the map being broken? Second question will it cover a larger area than the current one?

Thanks for the news
    No we are not scrapping the map, that would be completely unnecessary and would create a huge amount of work and delay the release for no reason. Most of the basic structures of the current map which are just fine... but the bugs need fixing and it needs new textures, and objects like trees improved.

No change to the size or geographical structure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Absolutely fantastic work chaps!
    This is actually something I noticed quite a lot flying the Spitfire in sim over the years, and quite frankly I am thrilled that it is going to be on a more even interior detail level! Whenever shifting around the cockpit to view instruments (mainly the compass) closer I would always notice the oil and fuel pressure gauges being flat and not shifting with perspective, as they tend to be one of the other main focuses in the cockpit, and also noticing that the Hurricane's gauges would shift with perspective as they were 3D.
    Lifting out all the other parts as well is bound to provide a far more immersive cockpit to fly in for Spit pilots, and not just for VR flyers
    Great work!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.72 MB

No we are not scrapping the map, that would be completely unnecessary and would create a huge amount of work and delay the release for no reason. Most of the basic structures of the current map which are just fine... but the bugs need fixing and it needs new textures, and objects like trees improved.

After all these years will we finally have St Pauls cathedral?
    Not a big issue of course.
    Keep up the good work chaps, as you were!
    Last edited by rince77; Aug-18-2021 at 22:20.

18. Likes ATAG_Slot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by rince77 View Post
    After all these years will we finally have St Pauls cathedral.

would be nice to have the Martello Towers.

(Nudge Nudge)

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post

would be nice to have the Martello Towers.

(Nudge Nudge)
    In Sicily
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

21. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    I for one certainly appreciate all this 3D work!!!

I'll swipe some glasses from the theater and I'll be set!!!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Will that get rid of the"Gravesend Anomaly", that line/plane that stretches from horizon to horizon between Gravesend and London?
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    Will that get rid of the"Gravesend Anomaly", that line/plane that stretches from horizon to horizon between Gravesend and London?
    Sure

25. Likes Marcost liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    28.54 MB

This is great work, awesome to see this old sim still being updated.

August

27. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    152.31 MB

Amazing work! Will the radio transmitter commands ever be sorted out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by charlie19 View Post
    Amazing work! Will the radio transmitter commands ever be sorted out?
    I don't personally work with radio commands or anything related to them. But I would suggest you specify exactly what the problem with these commands is, or what you perceive them to be. Otherwise a specific fault can't be identified or fixed.
    I'm sure that we have people on our development team that can fix almost all problems as long as they are described and specified so that we know exactly what to look for and what to fix.
    This isn't a criticism. But we need to know our faults in order to correct them.
    They may seem obvious to you, but these faults won't necessarily be obvious to everyone else, or to us.

Excuse me if this is such an obvious fault that everyone already knows of it .. but it is new to me, and may be to others on our team.

This is a general request to everyone reporting faults : specify exactly what fault you are experiencing, and what isn't working .. so we know what needs to be looked at and fixed.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Cheers
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    I don't personally work with radio commands or anything related to them. But I would suggest you specify exactly what the problem with these commands is, or what you perceive them to be. Otherwise a specific fault can't be identified or fixed.
    I'm sure that we have people on our development team that can fix almost all problems as long as they are described and specified so that we know exactly what to look for and what to fix.
    This isn't a criticism. But we need to know our faults in order to correct them.
    They may seem obvious to you, but these faults won't necessarily be obvious to everyone else, or to us.

Excuse me if this is such an obvious fault that everyone already knows of it .. but it is new to me, and may be to others on our team.

This is a general request to everyone reporting faults : specify exactly what fault you are experiencing, and what isn't working .. so we know what needs to be looked at and fixed.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Cheers
    Is the question about the command menu and radio voices? Ummmm...

Single voice actor for each army, poor voice acting, missing voice files, voices muffled/too quiet, queuing of voice output is broken, some flight commands don't work, ini file with text descriptions not complete, ground control comms broken/illogical ...

Maybe you are not a SP so haven't tried to use them. The code issues are indeed easy to fix, if the code is anything like 1946. The problem will be with creating more voice actor files and filling the missing phrases for the existing ones.

Regards,

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post

Thanks for the feedback.
    Cheers
    Easier to see this link MS. Sums up the missing Radio Commands that were mentioned :

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post266878
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

32. Likes Pinguim, Marcost, Little Bill liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    152.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Marcost View Post
    Is the question about the command menu and radio voices? Ummmm...

Single voice actor for each army, poor voice acting, missing voice files, voices muffled/too quiet, queuing of voice output is broken, some flight commands don't work, ini file with text descriptions not complete, ground control comms broken/illogical ...

Maybe you are not a SP so haven't tried to use them. The code issues are indeed easy to fix, if the code is anything like 1946. The problem will be with creating more voice actor files and filling the missing phrases for the existing ones.

Regards,

M
    Yes...this exactly! Sorry for not clarifying in my question.

34. Likes major_setback liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.18 MB

Quote Originally Posted by charlie19 View Post
    Yes...this exactly! Sorry for not clarifying in my question.

Hi, there are like 1500 lines for the actor's voice.
    it's a lot of work just to record it and then you still have to recheck the recordings one by one to remove any blancs.
    If you're motivated to do this, have a good mik, send a PM to Buzz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Quote Originally Posted by badatflyski View Post
    Hi, there are like 1500 lines for the actor's voice.
    it's a lot of work just to record it and then you still have to recheck the recordings one by one to remove any blancs.
    If you're motivated to do this, have a good mik, send a PM to Buzz.
    Maybe ask Pattle to post it on the TFS FB page, then post the languages that need to be recorded.
    There is still an enthusiastic community who would love to help with this..... just give them the opportunity?

37. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT, Dauntless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Maybe ask Pattle to post it on the TFS FB page, then post the languages that need to be recorded.
    There is still an enthusiastic community who would love to help with this..... just give them the opportunity?
    Tricky thing with community sourcing is getting a consistent quality of the audio.

I'm sure you may be aware as you've been a video maker in the past. In my experience, I have asked for volunteers to provide voice clips for CloD movies and while the community is usually happy to provide, almost everyone has a different kind of microphone and overall recording setup. This makes it really difficult to get any consistency between voices which you will need for things like the radio messages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    323.71 MB

The 3D work here is utterly steller. Great to see some missing implements (I spy the landing light controls) finally being modelled! I'd love to see the finished piece in action in the sim soon

A few questions towards the work that was done for the Spit cockpits (if that's ok):

- Will the fuel gauge now operate with a push button as it is in the Bf 108? The "always on" state it's been in since release is technically more convenient but I'd love to see improvements in accuracy and function within the sim! Furthermore, will other fixtures such as the slow running cutout or emergency gear control be animated?

- Will the later square gunsight and/or later Mk Vc windscreen be modelled for the late Mk Vb models? The latter somewhat takes me out of the sim a bit when flying the Mk Vb (trop) specifically, as all were built with the later windscreen - although I'm aware it was a conscious choice to help expedite development of TF 5.0. Again it'd be great to see further developements made in terms of accuracy as it truly helps with the immersion factor.

- In general, will poly-counts be raised for both internal and external 3D models of aircraft along with the 4k textures? The new aircraft from TF 5.0 are drop-dead gorgeous; one or two of much the older aircraft from early in the sim's development are looking a bit jagged these days however. The external model for the Spitfire also has a few accuracy issues which were outlined by the BoX team when their Mk Vb was under development. Might it be possible, time permitting obviously, that these could be fixed? Seeing as new Spit variants are planned for 6.0 it'd be very nice to see these rectified and provide an even better base for further development. They're not major of course, but they're difficult to ignore once you know what to look for in screenshots.

Best of luck with the continued development of our favourite sim!

P.S. - If you need a spare modeller who's nuts for British aircraft I'm your fella

40. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast