Thread: Landing With Autopilot

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Landing With Autopilot

I'm in and out of autopilot all the time. And one thing I like to do, is use autopilot to land an undamaged aircraft to enjoy the cinematic external view of the landing (I always hand fly a landing for a damaged aircraft, as I feel like I have a better chance of landing it over the autopilot). And on several of the campaigns I'm flying, the autopilot landings are working perfectly. But on one campaign I'm flying, the first 3 landings I've tried using autopilot have ended in the plane crashing. Twice it hit the trees on final approach, and one went into an erratic traffic pattern that ended in a crash into the trees a few miles out (I sat and watched it to see what it would do...lol).

Is the autopilot landing behavior and traffic pattern set by the airport design, or is it set by the mission/campaign designer? Just wondering so I won't attempt any further autopilot landings with this one campaign if it is set by the mission/campaign designer. Some designers hate autopilot...lol I remember the Desaster Soft campaigns that were built without autopilot waypoints so you had to hand fly the missions from start to finish

So what's the word on autopilot landings?

Thanks!

2. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Re: Landing With Autopilot

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
    I'm in and out of autopilot all the time. And one thing I like to do, is use autopilot to land an undamaged aircraft to enjoy the cinematic external view of the landing (I always hand fly a landing for a damaged aircraft, as I feel like I have a better chance of landing it over the autopilot). And on several of the campaigns I'm flying, the autopilot landings are working perfectly. But on one campaign I'm flying, the first 3 landings I've tried using autopilot have ended in the plane crashing. Twice it hit the trees on final approach, and one went into an erratic traffic pattern that ended in a crash into the trees a few miles out (I sat and watched it to see what it would do...lol).

Is the autopilot landing behavior and traffic pattern set by the airport design, or is it set by the mission/campaign designer? Just wondering so I won't attempt any further autopilot landings with this one campaign if it is set by the mission/campaign designer. Some designers hate autopilot...lol I remember the Desaster Soft campaigns that were built without autopilot waypoints so you had to hand fly the missions from start to finish

Thanks!
    AI should land aircraft in case of waypoint set to landing. You can see it on map with special icon on waypoint.

20210920211244_1.jpg
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

So true! So true!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Thanks!
    If your plane is damaged, then you stand a poor chance of landing with autopilot... AI doesn't like damage unless it is highly rated.

Look at the AI rating of your plane in the mission... if it is Rookie or Average, then landing in autopilot is not necessarily a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Is the autopilot landing behavior and traffic pattern set by the airport design, or is it set by the mission/campaign designer?
    Landing pattern is defined in game code and can't be changed by mission/campaign designer.

The only thing that mission/campaigns designer can manage and maybe have influence in AI landings is wind direction - in 30º increments, and wind force, but rarely mission/campaign designer change the map (Channel) default wind 3 m/s coming from 270 to 90º.

What campaign and mission # do you have issues?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Look at the AI rating of your plane in the mission... if it is Rookie or Average, then landing in autopilot is not necessarily a good idea.
    Thanks for the tip, Buzzsaw. Will do! I haven't used the FMB in COD for 6 years, so this is a good reason to fire it up.

Edit: Ok, so how do I use the FMB...lol I think I've got a split installation of COD and Tobruk (not by design, but it happened). I installed Steam on Drive E, a dedicated SSD for gaming. But either I missed the path opportunity, or it is automatic, and I've ended up with part of COD on Drive C where the FMB opens up to, but Tobruk is installed on Drive E with Steam. So the FMB opens to C:\users\username\documents\1C SoftClub\il2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\missions, and I can't seem to repoint it to E:\Steam\steamapps\common\parts\tobruk\missions

Any help will be appreciated, even if I need to reinstall something so I can use the FMB on the Tobruk module (which I will eventually use quite frequently).

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bucksnort; Sep-20-2021 at 23:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    What campaign and mission # do you have issues?
    It's the Beaufighter campaign that came with Tobruk. But I'm not complaining...I was just curious. I'll check the AI rating like Buzzsaw suggested to see where it's set. In the first two missions, their gear clips a couple of trees on final right at the last moment. It fooled me, and it happened too quickly for me to jump in and take over...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Thanks for the tip, Buzzsaw. Will do! I haven't used the FMB in COD for 6 years, so this is a good reason to fire it up.

Edit: Ok, so how do I use the FMB...lol I think I've got a split installation of COD and Tobruk (not by design, but it happened). I installed Steam on Drive E, a dedicated SSD for gaming. But either I missed the path opportunity, or it is automatic, and I've ended up with part of COD on Drive C where the FMB opens up to, but Tobruk is installed on Drive E with Steam. So the FMB opens to C:\users\username\documents\1C SoftClub\il2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\missions, and I can't seem to repoint it to E:\Steam\steamapps\common\parts\tobruk\missions

Any help will be appreciated, even if I need to reinstall something so I can use the FMB on the Tobruk module (which I will eventually use quite frequently).

Thanks!
    All of the game should be installed on one drive.... I think you are confusing an old install of the original CLIFFS OF DOVER, with the new CLIFFS OF DOVER - BLITZ and DESERT WINGS - TOBRUK which is all in the same folder. You may have the old game still installed... if you do, I would recommend uninstalling it through STEAM, it can cause problems if it is still there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    All of the game should be installed on one drive.... I think you are confusing an old install of the original CLIFFS OF DOVER, with the new CLIFFS OF DOVER - BLITZ and DESERT WINGS - TOBRUK which is all in the same folder. You may have the old game still installed... if you do, I would recommend uninstalling it through STEAM, it can cause problems if it is still there.
    In Steam I have the original COD in my library that I bought in 2014, but it is not installed. The only option I have for it in Steam is to "Hide" it, or install it. And this is a new computer that I bought last year, and I never had COD installed on it. I installed Blitz a couple of weeks ago, and then bought Tobruk a couple of days ago. In Control Panel in the Uninstall list I only have IL-2 Great Battles, Cliffs of Dover Blitz, and Steam.

I could just use File Explorer and delete it? I understand what you're saying, but I have no idea how the old COD got on my C Drive. I've done everything regarding Steam and Blitz/Tobruk in the last 2 weeks.

Blitz Installation.jpg

Steam.jpg

Thanks for your help on this!
    Last edited by Bucksnort; Sep-21-2021 at 01:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

In Steam I have the original COD in my library that I bought in 2014, but it is not installed. The only option I have for it in Steam is to "Hide" it, or install it. And this is a new computer that I bought last year, and I never had COD installed on it. I installed Blitz a couple of weeks ago, and then bought Tobruk a couple of days ago. In Control Panel in the Uninstall list I only have IL-2 Great Battles, Cliffs of Dover Blitz, and Steam.
    '
    I could just use File Explorer and delete it? I understand what you're saying, but I have no idea how the old COD got on my C Drive. I've done everything regarding Steam and Blitz/Tobruk in the last 2 weeks.

Steam.jpg

Thanks for your help on this!
    I have the same as you - old game and new game are shown. If you click once/quickly on the bottom one you should see an option to 'Install' or to 'Update' if that is shown. That will update the game, and should install Desert Wings too.
    Mine just has the same short list of 2 options
    - 'Cliffs of Dover'
    - 'Cliffs of Dover Blitz'.
    There is no option for me to chose Desert Wings, despite the fact that I have played it since release.it is part of the Blitz install. So it must be included as part of that Blitz install update.
    No need to delete the first 'Cliffs of Dover'

This is my Steam:

cliffs Clipboard01.jpg

I also have an option to 'update', but here it is probably to update the game to the very latest version of the continually released update patches and fixes.
    Last edited by major_setback; Sep-21-2021 at 04:18.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

And a related question, Buzzsaw...

I could also use a text editor to change the Skill of the aircraft I'm flying, but when I dug in, I found this...

Skill 1 0.95 0.95 0.84 0.84 0.95 0.89 0.89

I'm used to the Skill in IL-2 1946 with a single digit "Skill 0, 1, 2, or 3 with no trailing numbers. What do the trailing numbers mean in Blitz skill levels? Can I just change the first number? I'm assuming they are 0=Rookie, 1=Average, 2=Veteran, 3=Ace

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    I have the same as you - old game and new game are shown. If you click once/quickly on the bottom one you should see an option to 'Install' or to 'Update' if that is shown. That will update the game, and should install Desert Wings too.
    Hi Major,

I don't have the Update option when I click on Blitz once, just Play. I updated it yesterday to pick up the Hot Fix by Artist who fixed a CTD problem with some of the Tobruk campaigns. Here is what my Steam Blitz looks like...

Steam 2.jpg

I have no idea how the old COD got on my C Drive, unless Steam put it there automatically. But then Steam and Blitz/Tobruk are on my E Drive where I installed Steam a couple of weeks ago when I got Blitz. And yet the FMB inside Tobruk is pointing at the old COD on my C Drive

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

From the screenshot your old CloD (non-Blitz, original version) isn’t installed. Don’t bother with it. Just right click it and hide the game from your library.

You game (Blitz) is installed on E and the game creates the files it needs to run under Documents/1C SoftClub/Cliffs of Dover, which os on C:. Tobruk is added content, so it must be installed since you‘ve been playing the campaigns. It installs via an option under the game Properties in Steam which allows you to select the DLC..

You access the FMB from the game’s main menu, under Extras, right at the top it says Full Mission Builder.

Your game is running fine. I wouldn‘t fiddle with installs or install location changes tbh.

Regarding the AI settings, CloD has different sliders for different things. If you open the mission in the FMB you can see them. That’s what those numbers are. I don’t have proper experience with adjusting those but I am sure someone that has will come along. Or try to search for post on this forums (I did a quick search and didn‘t come up with anything relevant, didn‘t search for too long though).

Another alternative is to copy the values from a flight you know behaves the way you expect.

I can’t post screenshots since I am not on the PC but here is the list of skills you can manually set with sliders in the FMB:

-Basic Flying
    -Advanced Flying
    -Awareness
    -Aerial Gunnery
    -Tactics
    -Vision
    -Bravery
    -Discipline

Without testing it, if you put the second value to 1 it should fly as well as possible. But the values are pretty good in everything already tbh.
    Last edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT; Sep-21-2021 at 05:09. Reason: List of AI skills
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

15. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52_J-HAT View Post
    Your game (Blitz) is installed on E and the game creates the files it needs to run under Documents/1C SoftClub/Cliffs of Dover, which is on C: You access the FMB from the game’s main menu, under Extras, right at the top it says Full Mission Builder. If you open the mission in the FMB you can see them.
    Thanks for all the info, J-HAT.

But my FMB opens pointed at C:\users\username\documents\1C SoftClub\il2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\missions, although the Tobruk content is on my E Drive. Is that normal? How do I repoint the FMB to Tobruk content on E:\ The FMB won't let me back up off of C:\ and repoint to E:\

Is there an .ini file where I can change the path that the FMB is pointing? How do you guys use the FMB for Tobruk content?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

I’m not getting what you mean. When you open your FMB it points there, yes, but everything should be there. The folder structure under “missions” with Multi, Single, Templates. If you open that you should see what was added with Tobruk.

You can create new subfolders under missions in case you want to have a working directory or something.
    But that is if you already have a saved mission or want to edit one.

To create a new mission you first load the map (file - load map) then hit insert on your keyboard. That will add an object where your mouse cursor is. Once the object has been added you can edit it select, right click, properties). Tobruk objects will be there.

I just can’t find the FMB manual anywhere. If anyone could post it would be good.

Edit: all your content is on E, base Blitz and Tobruk, since that’s your install location. There is no different locations.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

But my FMB opens pointed at C:\users\username\documents\1C SoftClub\il2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\missions, although the Tobruk content is on my E Drive. Is that normal?
    Yes. You cannot point your FMB at that content. This is by design.

How do I repoint the FMB to Tobruk content on E:\ The FMB won't let me back up off of C:\ and repoint to E:\

Is there an .ini file where I can change the path that the FMB is pointing?
    No. The FMB only points at 'your documents' location.

How do you guys use the FMB for Tobruk content?
    If you want to edit those missions copy them over from Steam to 'your documents'. For instance you might copy a whole campaign folder and drop the folder under your Single Missions, make changes there and play the campaign as series of single missions.

TFS will feel free to update and change all their files in Steam location as they see fit, so any changes you make there would be overridden when the game is updated or you 'verify files'!

TFS will never overwrite files in your 'documents' location.

Read Yo-Yo's excellent guide to the FMB here [pdf download link on page 3]: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=34051

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

19. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Of course, stupid me. Sorry. You wanted to open the Campaign mission and edit them, the ones that came with Tobruk

Do like Bonditaria said. Move the files over and edit them. Then move them back but keep a copy under C so it doesn’t get overwritten by changes made by TFS.

And thanks for the link to the pdf, Bonditaria!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the MediaFire archive link of YoYo's FMB Guide, Bonditaria

I'll dig in right away, but one question. From what you have explained, if I build a new mission or campaign, do I leave it in the "C:\users..." to play it, or do I move it to my E Drive Steam location to play it? Where is Tobruk pointed for Single and Campaign content?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Ok, got it J-HAT.

From what I understand now, Tobruk looks at my E Drive Steam install to run content, but I use C:\users... to edit or create anything?

Did I get that right?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Ok, I'm good to go. Never mind my questions above.

Thanks to everyone for getting me on track! I'm now moving Tobruk campaign missions to "C:\users..." to be edited with the FMB, and inserting them back into the Tobruk campaigns on E:\ (my Steam installation). And I've got a backup of my work for when Team Fusion updates my Tobruk Steam installation and overwrites my edits.

Cheers!

24. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

if I build a new mission or campaign
    See the Mission Builder's Manual, especially the part on building your own campaigns.