Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs Of Dover and Desert Wings - Tobruk: Update 5.027

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs Of Dover and Desert Wings - Tobruk: Update 5.027

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    And ... I do not need more reports on incidents of ships seen from far, ok? I'm already working on it.
    )
    Better save than sorry!
    master-and-commander_3.jpg

Honest: Thank you all for your hard work!
    This again is a mayor improvement.

2. Likes Artist, FG28_matkenhaus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

If anyone spots Aubrey in the game, I want to be notified immediately!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post

Your photoshop skills are improving DerDa, I am impressed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

The ships have gone too far. They should not have dots beyond 25km, the creatures! I'll hotfix them back into their proper place early next week.

The curvature is an intriguing problem. So is the horizon. Stay tuned.
    :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Guys

Players should not be able to see contacts further than approx. 16 km.... 25 km settings on a server are too high.

It is probably the case that server operators have compensated for the previous issues with contact spotting by extending visibility to 25 km... but they should probably dial that back now.

8. Likes ATAG_Jeepy, FG28_matkenhaus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

The ships have gone too far. They should not have dots beyond 25km, the creatures! I'll hotfix them back into their proper place early next week.

It depends on your altitude... The distance to the horizon in km is ~3.6*(h)^1/2 where h is your height in meters.

So if you fly at 5000m, the horizon is at 255km...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.46 MB

I tried downsampling on my 32" WQHD-monitor, setting it to UHD resolution.

The downsampled UHD-Resolution gives 16 contacts, too and if you let the contact spotting mission run, the contacts didn't disapear at any distance, being a problem of downsampling so far.

Good work, Artist!
    Greetings
    matkenhauser

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    It is probably the case that server operators have compensated for the previous issues with contact spotting by extending visibility to 25 km... but they should probably dial that back now.
    I don't think it's the server settings to blame. The goal points appeared on all servers after the update. It's not just ships there. You take off in France and immediately see the target points near London, for example (the entire monitor is in dots). We saw ships at an altitude of 3500 meters.
    I used a translator, sorry if something is not correct.
    The original text.
    Не думаю, что это настройки сервера виноваты. Точки целей проявились на всех серверах после обновления. Там не только корабли. Взлетаешь во Франции и сразу видишь точки целей возле Лондона, к примеру (весь монитор в точках). Видели корабли на высоте 3500 метров. Использовал переводчик, извините если что-то не корректно.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

As promised,

hotfix is avaiable on STEAM.

Ships are shown only up to 25 km.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    66.34 MB

I´m playing CloD for a very long time but not very often in the present time. Today I tested the new visibility of ground objects and planes in 2k resolution after the last patch and to be honest - I´m shocked. I had no problem to spot planes in 1440p before, maybe there were difficulties for other players. But now your solution is simply terrible.
    You don´t have small object dots but fat dark stripes and the ground object dots/stripes are flashing. Sometimes if you get closer you cant see the ships because of the fat dark marker on it. The plane visibilty is completely weird as well. The black marker obscures the plane 3D-model. You can´t see the direction of the plane until one zooms in. My summary is the patch makes the game worse. I´m wondering if you have tested this patch before and got feedback by the community. Patch 5.026 with the change of the head movement was also not so brilliant, so am a little bit concerned about the future auf CloD......

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    197.43 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Qetzalcoatl View Post
    so am a little bit concerned about the future auf CloD......
    I'm playing Clod 5 times a week since one year. Never touch a sim before.
    Each patch makes this game better and better for my taste, I'm confident for the future of this game.
    "You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"

Win 11 Pro - I5-12600KF - 32GB Ram - RTX 3080 TI 12GB (non OC) - SSD Sata 970 GBB (System) - NVMe 980 GB (games storage) - Lenovo 27'' 144Hz - HP Reverb G2 v2 -
    WMR environment : Empty room (SkySpaces) - SteamVR resolution : 2192x2144 (48%)
    nVidia driver : 536.23

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    207.95 MB

After the Hotfix, I had a 45-min TestFlight on TWC 113 days campaign server. Ships which are far away aren`t visible anymore

My first impression is that I can spot planes, like before the Hotfix. Also, no difference in Contact spotting 5.5 after the Hotfix for me. In a short encounter with some bombers, I couldn`t notice any problems. Also when I closed in towards some ships, I couldn`t detect any issues. Regarding the previous changes with the head movement I also think, like many others posted before, that it could turned back a bit.

Thank you TFS for continuously developing and improving the game
    Last edited by Twin; Oct-04-2021 at 12:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
    if you roll the shape of the planes changes from flat to plus sign

https://freeimage.host/i/RmkcV2
    Far Target Dots overlay the 3d rendered model in mid-distance. Next patch

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    87.90 MB

Greetings pilots! A new update is available on STEAM:

*** New free campaign "Their Finest Hour" added to Blitz. [Cybermat47]

*** Improved far target visibility for screen resolutions of 2560x1440, 4k, and beyond [Artist]
    Also see: Contact Spotting

*** Fixed: Shaking aircraft ForceFeedback effects resulting from firing cannons are not added on top of cannon's own ForceFeedback effects anymore. [Artist]
    https://www.tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/761

*** New option to toggle all ingame info windows on/off (Options, Control, Chat) [Artist]
    https://www.tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/1271
    This will hide or show all the info windows that you have configured (also hide the Net Stats if shown). Note 1: If you have used this to hide all windows and then use Send Message, Toggle Net Stats or Flash Net Stats, this will unhide all windows, too. Note 2: The current status will be remembered until you exit the game, but not beyond.

*** A barrage balloon at Dover that caused crashes has been removed from the single missions A Busy Morning, Attack of the Eagles, Attack of the Kiwi, August Attrition, Corpo Aereo Italiano, and The Kanalkampf. [Cybermat47]
    Please note that when Single Missions are updated by TFS it is not automatic that you will see the updated missions in your game immediately. This is because TFS will *never* delete any files that are in your "\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" folder! To get the updated Single Missions you must delete the existing missions in "\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\missions\Single" while the game is not running. Next time you start the game the updated Single Missions will be copied from the game's installation folder (...\Steam\steamapps\...) into "\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\missions\Single" where you can play them.

*** Fixed: Mirror does not retain already subsided vibration/shake (when Difficulty "Head Shake" is disabled) anymore. [Artist]
    good job

18. Likes danperin, ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    It depends on your altitude... The distance to the horizon in km is ~3.6*(h)^1/2 where h is your height in meters.
    So if you fly at 5000m, the horizon is at 255km...
    The math is the easy, straightforward, and ... boring part.

There are well know methods to (approximately) check if something is hidden behind the horizon and to calculate the apparent 'drop' in height due to earth's curvature over a given distance

But these all involve time consuming operations such as square roots, cosinus, to-the-power-of ...

So the "intriguing" part is to not let the computer spent more time than absolutly necessary on doing these costly operations: If you've 200 objects within mp_dotrange you'd have 24,000 operations per second (@60 FPS): (Check-If-Visible + Adjust-2D-Pos-to-Curvature) * 200 * 60. We don't want that. So we have to find ways to reduce that.

Good news: I have

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

The math is the easy, straightforward, and ... boring part.

There are well know methods to (approximately) check if something is hidden behind the horizon and to calculate the apparent 'drop' in height due to earth's curvature over a given distance

But these all involve time consuming operations such as square roots, cosinus, to-the-power-of ...

So the "intriguing" part is to not let the computer spent more time than absolutly necessary on doing these costly operations: If you've 200 objects within mp_dotrange you'd have 24,000 operations per second (@60 FPS): (Check-If-Visible + Adjust-2D-Pos-to-Curvature) * 200 * 60. We don't want that. So we have to find ways to reduce that.

Good news: I have
    I am sure you do.

Here is a nice simulator for those who are interested in how complex this really is, even if you exclude the effects of light refraction...

And thanks for all what you are doing
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Oct-06-2021 at 20:50.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

21. Likes Maru, Artist, Sleepy_Fly, OBT~Mikmak, Lorena, palker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

*** Improved far target visibility for screen resolutions of 2560x1440, 4k, and beyond [Artist]
    Also see: Contact Spotting
    Any way to get the same contact spotting ability for us 1080p players as before this patch? I thought this was intended to improve spotting for the higher resolutions, not make it more difficult for the lower ones.
    Ever since this patch released I have noticed that spotting has become more difficult. Dots dont stand out as much anymore, seem to blend into the surrounding more quickly.

23. Likes Pinguim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    Any way to get the same contact spotting ability for us 1080p players as before this patch? I thought this was intended to improve spotting for the higher resolutions, not make it more difficult for the lower ones.
    Ever since this patch released I have noticed that spotting has become more difficult. Dots dont stand out as much anymore, seem to blend into the surrounding more quickly.
    We did not change the dots for 1920x1080.

These two pictures are cutouts (not resized!) from screenshots from patch-026 and patch-028, both running at (monitor's native!) 1920x1080. The only difference I can see is that for the one screenshot the pause key was pressed a second later (so the aircrafts had moved a few meters more).

Spits@01-16_mpdr25km_1920x1080-Cutout-12.png

Spits@01-16_mpdr25km_1920x1080-Cutout-1.png

Also see: Contact Spotting Mission

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Fair enough, I suppose it's up to the servers and server admins then.
    I remember TWC doing some wild dotrange experiments at the time when the update dropped and we started seeing star fleets and stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    we started seeing star fleets and stuff.
    That was actually an unintended (and unexpected) sideeffect of calculating earth' curvature into the dots for ships ... quickly rectified in the 027-hotfix-1. No fault of TWC. But there was a temporary misunderstanding on the meaning of server's configuration mp_dotrange values - which also was quickly settled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12