Thread: VR Headset Recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

VR Headset Recommendations?

Greetings All. Looking to pull the trigger on a VR rig. I was pretty much sold on the Oculus Quest 2 but was was wondering if battery life is an issue if connected to a PC. Of course planning to use with sims and upcoming Clod upgrade. Any recommendations and/or insight appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Re: VR Headset Recommendations?

Completely biased opinion from someone who has only had one VR headset:

I bought the G2 because from all the reviews, videos, comparisons etc. I saw it was the best for flightsims. Picture quality and resolution / clarity being the major plus points. Problem is, it needs beefy HW to achieve its full potential (high graphics settings and very high resolution, above native that is - this impacts clarity, specially around the center of the lens). I can run BoS on max with 100% resolution (which is actually 140% native iirc) at 90 Hz, but it will dip down from time to time.
    I stopped playing in VR for the time being because DCS’ implementation is trash atm and I can’t spot too much in BoS (and tbh can’t get on with BoS…). Waiting for CloD, hoping it is better than the other two.

Back when I was researching this was my goto channel on YT (MRTV):

https://youtube.com/c/mixedrealityTV
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

3. Likes 13sq*Axe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 13sq*Axe View Post
    Greetings All. Looking to pull the trigger on a VR rig. I was pretty much sold on the Oculus Quest 2 but was was wondering if battery life is an issue if connected to a PC. Of course planning to use with sims and upcoming Clod upgrade. Any recommendations and/or insight appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Hi there Axe,

Had the Oculus Quest 2 myself, with quite a few gadgets, you can get a headstrap with an extra battery, however, all these gadgets could not resolve my main issue, which was IPD,
    you only have 3 positions + 2 if you get it stuck in-between, if your IPD is one of these settings you should not have any issues, my sweetspot was impossible to find, my IPD is not outside the min or maximum range.

The headset doesn’t have a software IPD adjustment which can correct the sense of scale and your sweetspot is completely non-existent if you don't match exactly one of the settings.

I would recommend the Oculus Quest 2 but first you must measure your pupillary distance, because it offers gaming (from steam) without any cables, resolution is 1,832 by 1,920 (per eye) with up to 5408 x 2736 render & 90Hz with the app for a clearer picture, which is great, as well as some storage, you can watch movies or even work on your computer with it and maybe the most important one, the price, it gets expensive once you start buying gadgets and cables, the last costing a 100$.

5. Likes 13sq*Axe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that like a lot of old geezers I wear progressive lens glasses. I don't wear them with Track IR, I use some standard reading glasses for that.
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

I don’t need corrective lenses for my VR headset, but I have talked to people who do and also have read about this here during my research:

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

I don‘t know how well it works, but you can order a (rather expensive?) pair of correction lenses to put in the headset. Sometimes glasses will also fit between your face and the headset. But best to do a specific research about this. I can be that sometimes the headset won’t fit with glasses on.

IPD on the G2 is adjustable btw, so as long as yours is within its limits (62 to 67 mm iirc), should be ok.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS