Thread: Starting next Round of AI Routine Improvements: Let us know what needs fixing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Starting next Round of AI Routine Improvements: Let us know what needs fixing

Hello All

We improved the AI Routines for both TF 4.5 and TF 5.0, we are now starting work on improving AI for TF 6.0.

This round of improvements to the AI Routines will focus on allowing the players to command their wingmen and flights better... so the AI obeys the player orders to attack/return to base/disengage/etc./etc.

We are inviting the community to submit their wishes for fixes/changes to the current AI command/control system.

We do not see changing completely the the current menu system... players will still select commands with keyboard entry strokes... sometimes multiple entries will be required for particular commands.

What we are concerned about is fixing/improving the current lack of response by the AI to commands... and/or adding additional commands.

If you can be systematic in describing the areas which you think are the most important and where the game is currently lacking, we would appreciate your input.

Thanks again for your support!
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Oct-09-2021 at 18:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Re: Starting next Round of AI Routine Updates: Let us know what needs fixing

Please, fix AI bombers waving and crashing....
    Would like to play few campaigns but it is impossible due this issue.

PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: Starting next Round of AI Routine Improvements: Let us know what needs fixing

About AI on multiplayer servers:
    It would be nice to have AI cover bombers/ground attackers to stay in a given formation and especially trying to stay at a certain altitude specified by the leader.

On TWC you have to stay below 200 ft in order to avoid radar detection.
    Currently it is impossible to do this with AI cover, because they are all over the place flying in front or hanging back and at any altitude, whatever the leader commands.

4. Likes FG28_matkenhaus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Starting next Round of AI Routine Improvements: Let us know what needs fixing

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    About AI on multiplayer servers:
    It would be nice to have AI cover bombers/ground attackers to stay in a given formation and especially trying to stay at a certain altitude specified by the leader.

On TWC you have to stay below 200 ft in order to avoid radar detection.
    Currently it is impossible to do this with AI cover, because they are all over the place flying in front or hanging back and at any altitude, whatever the leader commands.
    Part of the problem is the AI are hardcoded not to go below 50-100 meters unless in the landing routine.

To change this would mean dramatically increasing the load on the player CPU because then the CPU needs to start monitoring every single AI in relation to every object in the game for collision purposes and for that reason I don't think the change will happen.

I understand TWC is trying to be realistic, but in this case, it might be taking it a bit far.

6. Likes MrSteven liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

I don't pretend to understand what is needed to code AI in game, but I like a mixture of expert and novice AI, for challenge and target practice. AI sometimes seem to be able to perform maneuvers that seem unlikely to be possible in RL, one pet hate of mine is the " porpoiseing" of bombers to avoid attack, no turn ,climbs or dive ,just porpoiseing which in RL life would turn the crew to jam quite quickly.

Also with introduction of Truesky improvement AI ability to spot and maintain contact will need to be refined to match that of live pilots in poor visibility.

This thread could easily become a whinge-fest, so its important to me that I say, TFS are doing a great job, I really appreciate the improvements in spotting in HDR(although the Blue meanies can see me better as well) Blue Meanies.jpg

Keep up the good work TFS and Thank you
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

8. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Just having these available as they were when it first released (but this time all working) would be a huge step forward.

Radio Commands by mysticpuma2011, on Flickr
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Part of the problem is the AI are hardcoded not to go below 50-100 meters unless in the landing routine.

To change this would mean dramatically increasing the load on the player CPU because then the CPU needs to start monitoring every single AI in relation to every object in the game for collision purposes and for that reason I don't think the change will happen.

I understand TWC is trying to be realistic, but in this case, it might be taking it a bit far.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    You can't have everything.

But what we have is already a lot!

S!

DerDa

11. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

My suggestion for fighters would be:
    -Cover me
    -Attack fighters/bombers/ground objects/shipping
    -Disengage
    -Return to base

13. Likes Pinguim liked this post