Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting next Round of AI Routine Improvements: Let us know what needs fixing

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Re: Starting next Round of AI Routine Improvements: Let us know what needs fixing

It is generally considered a good form to read the first post before responding.
    Anyway I would like commands for AI to change the bomb distributor delay, salvo quantity, maybe even fusing delay options. That would be great.
    Another thing is AI should have a better sense of self preservation, too many times I have seen AI pilots spiraling into the ground in clearly uncontrollable aircraft.

2. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Starting next Round of AI Routine Improvements: Let us know what needs fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    Are you in the right thread? The topic of this thread appears to be: "Starting next Round of AI Routine Improvements: Let us know what needs fixing". Pretty sure there's no mention of Player commands in the title. You mention Player commands in the body of the message, but it is not really apparent from the title.
    The entirety of a post cannot be contained in a title... the expectation is the entire message will be read... and the message is specific in this thread... it is about Player Commands to AI aircraft.

Posters are welcome to start their own threads or post in existing threads which deal with the same subject.

4. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, Karaya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Not sure I agree with this requirement to read posts before replying to them, where will it end, reading instruction manuals before loading and running programs. If we were required to have a minimal level of knowledge about a topic before expressing an opinion on it, the world would be a pretty dull place.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

6. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    478.84 MB

I think the most urgent issue is to have working "rejoin formation" and "cover me" commands for AI fighters. It's almost impossible to lead fighters without these.

Looking forward for TF 6.0! PvPvE in this game has so much potential (as well as singleplayer).

Cheers!

8. Likes Rostic, Riksen liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

Related to MP´s request on the twitchy gunners. Gunners will wiggle their guns even there is no threat around and after landing to own base. Maybe adding a timer or similar that if no threat "seen" by the gunner he stops weaving the guns.
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

10. Likes Mysticpuma, Rostic, Pinguim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

I'm sure its been said many times before ,but once again with feeling: Make the AI gunners more human both in their shooting capabilities & in their mortality...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    478.84 MB

I've noticed it's common that the AI will dogfight a little then slowly move away from the fight, making it too easy to shoot them down as they retreat. It can be checked in the quick missions.

Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    I'm sure its been said many times before ,but once again with feeling: Make the AI gunners more human both in their shooting capabilities & in their mortality...
    Please dear Lord, yes.
    +1
    Intel I7 - 11700K CPU @ 3.60 GHZ, Nvidia RTX 3080, Evo 970 SSD 1TB, Ram 32GB , Win 10 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Falcon Gear Trim Unit, Track IR5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Pinguim View Post
    I've noticed it's common that the AI will dogfight a little then slowly move away from the fight, making it too easy to shoot them down as they retreat. It can be checked in the quick missions.
    AI will engage based on their mission programming.

For example, if they do not have a target programmed for a particular waypoint, they will not engage.

They also will follow the time line for their waypoints whenever possible.

So for example, if AI Fighters have a waypoint for a particular location for 13:05, and they have been programmed to engage... but their next waypoint is at 13:10... they will engage for a brief period, then disengage to follow their waypoint... they will not stay in the area much past the initial engagement.

Mission programmers who want their AI to stay in a particular area and maintain air superiority or maintain engagements, should create multiple waypoints in the area of focus... so for example, have the AI's waypoints circle the engagement area for 20 minutes... and make sure those waypoints are programmed so the AI continue to engage the enemy... with targets assigned for each waypoint.

Most of the issues with various missions, and for example with Quick missions, is the AI are programmed to move to a particular waypoint, engage, then almost immediately move away towards another waypoint.

Finally, when the AI waypoints have them retreat back to base, the mission builder should make sure they are not programmed just to move... but for each waypoint they are programmed to engage.

The FMB is quite a precise tool... it can do a lot of things... but one of its characteristics is that it requires a lot of 'hands on' programming... the mission builder has to be very detail oriented to ensure the AI behaves as he wants.... they won't do so entirely on their own... they are fairly rigid in following what they have been programmed to do.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; May-12-2022 at 15:34.

15. Likes 1lokos, Dauntless liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    326.30 MB

Hi all,

when we are the leader of an AI flight formation, we take off then the AI ​​instead of joining us meticulously follow the waypoints!

I call them to join the flight formation but they don't obey and continue to follow the waypoints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Fred901 View Post
    Hi all,

when we are the leader of an AI flight formation, we take off then the AI ​​instead of joining us meticulously follow the waypoints!

I call them to join the flight formation but they don't obey and continue to follow the waypoints.
    Having the AI obey human formation leader commands is the key focus of the upcoming set of AI improvements.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    326.30 MB

Thank you Buzzsaw !

19. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Hi Buzzsaw.
    Would it be possible for one of the team who is working on the Ai update to post in this thread and give examples of the changes that are being and have been made so far?
    Not requesting every spit and cough but just an overview of what changes have been made? One question I would be interested in hearing a reply to (if possible, no pressure), is has it been possible to activate any of the radio commands for the player (shown in my post on Page 1) to give a comprehensive set of tools to interact with the players flight?
    Just from a point of interest, is it now possible to order a flight to land and if it is, do they do it successfully?

Looking forward to the Ai update, cheers, MP
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

21. Likes Dauntless, Rostic, GANIX, Marcost liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.10 MB

AI evasive maneuvers: every time AI is using scissors or just banks to turn, I cannot help but notice, that their roll rate is much higher, than anything I can pull myself in the same aircraft. They also do not seem to loose much speed while scissoring, and thus are able to pull away even in a slower plane, unless the pursuing player flies perfectly straight. And they suspiciosly often initiate their maneuver at the exact same moment as I press the trigger...
    Am I the only one seeing this?

23. Likes palker, Little Bill, 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    598.45 MB

Cool Re: Starting next Round of AI Routine Improvements: Let us know what needs fixing

Read the posts and hope I'm not repeating anything.

Please fix loadout in single player mode.

Thank thee kindly.

25. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

[QUOTE=Dornil;386700]they suspiciosly often initiate their maneuver at the exact same moment as I press the trigger.,

Yes I noticed this, particularly in single player missions. Not so much in multiplayer where AI ranges from Stupid (flys straight and level even when under attack) to Expert ( slippery, slimey Bs@trds you couldn't hit with a shot gun from 5 yrds). solution, multiplayer is best, get online and on teamspeak as soon as you can.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.83 GB

At the moment, the biggest AI issues I've been having is with the autopilot.

Often, when you let the autopilot take over, rather than getting you into formation, it'll just ram you into the back of the squadron leader (as has just happened to me in missiin #2 of the Tobruk Gladiator campaign). This actually seems to be easily repeatable, at least. In the Operta Aperta mission, take off manually, then press autopilot. It'll fly you straight into the back of the leader.

To me, this is one of the most serious AI bugs, as it's basically game breaking. Without knowing anything about the code, it looks like the autopilot just doesn't know where you should be slotting into the formation - and so it puts you in the leader's slot, even when you're not. It's also not specific to this campaign or to this mission, as I've had it happen in a dynamic campaign flying a Hurricane too.

At other times, in other missions, turning on autopilot will just fly you lower and lower in circles until you crash into the ground.

Similarly, I tried one of the single missions last night (can't remember the name - flying Tomahawks on patrol I think), and it took me three attempts to actually get flying. On the first two the squadron leader took off, then decided he had to land, and as his no. 2 I seemingly had no choice but to go with him (at least according to the autopilot).

The autopilot is a real god send when it comes to speeding up slow missions, but at the moment you're risking your life the second you press "A"!
    Last edited by king_spoon_ian; Nov-18-2022 at 17:02.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12