Thread: Greetings all!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    302.41 MB

Red face Greetings all!

Hi everyone,
    I'm a 49 year old graybeard who has been in and out of the world of flight simulators since the days of the first Tie Fighter for DOS . I had my first contact with the Il-2 series with the 2001 version, and later I was hooked again for a while with the 1946 - Complete Edition.
    After all these years, the bug of flying World War II planes has come back to bite me again... And here I am. I'll give the Cliffs a chance, and if things go well, I'll still dare with the Big Battles.

Thank you so much for keeping communities like yours open for new and old riders who are back in the fray.

Good hunting out there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Re: Greetings all!

Welcome back Sendagris

Like you, I too came back (albeit a few years back) and promise you will not be disappointed with Cliffs of Dover BLITZ (COD), and it's mate Desert Wings TOBRUK. I've been flying COD since 2018 and have logged just over 2000 hours since, and I still am thrilled by the details and complexities of the flight SIM. I'm not sure if you plan on flying single-player or multi-player, I highly recommend multi-player. I never flew much single-player, I needed to sit in the cockpit and start from a cold engine, and go through all that I had been learning. Single-player did not do this for me. I can still remember the first time I logged onto a multi-player server and I could year the throaty roar of some plane close to my proximity. I swear, I caught my breath, my heart was beating fast, and I began to sweat in anticipation of some seasoned vet annihilating me before I could even begin the start-up procedure. But it didn't come, I began to breath, my heart rate slowed, and I began my engine start up. I've not looked back since.

Oh and the details, I'm still thrilled at what I see. And the online communities is first-rate in my books. This is no simple jump-in-and-pull-the-trigger SIM, but if you invest in learning the techniques for managing your aircraft, it will give you many hours of pure enjoyment, and yes frustration because of some of the "boneheaded" mistakes you'll make, but I'm convinced both are needed for you to experience satisfaction. There is a wealth of information to help you learn this "management" and I've never had someone make me feel inferior because I asked some simple question. The community as you will discover will be more than willing to help you achieve perfection (or at least as close to perfection as any of us are able to achieve).

So strap yourself in, enjoy the ride. I look forward to seeing you on one of the servers soon.

And remember, as Chuck Yeager says:

"If you can walk away from a landing, it’s a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it’s an outstanding landing."
    Last edited by TWC_Padre; Oct-16-2021 at 16:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Padre View Post
    Welcome back Sendagris

Like you, I too came back (albeit a few years back) and promise you will not be disappointed with Cliffs of Dover BLITZ (COD), and it's mate Desert Wings TOBRUK. I've been flying COD since 2018 and have logged just over 2000 hours since, and I still am thrilled by the details and complexities of the flight SIM. I'm not sure if you plan on flying single-player or multi-player, I highly recommend multi-player. I never flew much single-player, I needed to sit in the cockpit and start from a cold engine, and go through all that I had been learning. Single-player did not do this for me. I can still remember the first time I logged onto a multi-player server and I could year the throaty roar of some plane close to my proximity. I swear, I caught my breath, my heart was beating fast, and I began to sweat in anticipation of some seasoned vet annihilating me before I could even begin the start-up procedure. But it didn't come, I began to breath, my heart rate slowed, and I began my engine start up. I've not looked back since.

Oh and the details, I'm still thrilled at what I see. And the online communities is first-rate in my books. This is no simple jump-in-and-pull-the-trigger SIM, but if you invest in learning the techniques for managing your aircraft, it will give you many hours of pure enjoyment, and yes frustration because of some of the "boneheaded" mistakes you'll make, but I'm convinced both are needed for you to experience satisfaction. There is a wealth of information to help you learn this "management" and I've never had someone make me feel inferior because I asked some simple question. The community as you will discover will be more than willing to help you achieve perfection (or at least as close to perfection as any of us are able to achieve).

So strap yourself in, enjoy the ride. I look forward to seeing you on one of the servers soon.

And remember, as Chuck Yeager says:

"If you can walk away from a landing, it’s a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it’s an outstanding landing."
    Good grief, Sendagris! If you ever wanted a more eloquent 'on the money,' explanation of why Cliffs of Dover grips us all ......look no further than Padre's brilliant post above!

I'll just stop there, shall I? He's 'bang on'....taken the words right out of my mouth....stolen my thunder.......I might as well give up and go...and bake a cake!!! (Ha ha!) Crackin' stuff, Padre...and all true, perfectly reflecting my own personal experience.

Oh...and 'Welcome' to the ATAG Forum and Servers, Sendagris. I will just add...if you ever feel you would like to have a crack at Multiplayer but are unsure of where to start...which server is which, etc, just let us know. We can easily arrange for you to have a quick 'on line' tour of the multiplayer servers and quickly pass on info about their salient features. It could save you a lot of time and would be great fun. Let us know if this appeals.

In the meantime, enjoy Cliffs and your training and as Padre says: we all look forward to welcoming you as another 'wing man' on multiplayer. Good luck and....Salute!

4. Likes ATAG_Snapper, farley, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

P.s. Great first post, by the way! Had to laugh....if you are a greybeard at 49 what does that make me (and half the Community!) at 64? Ha ha! You should be so lucky....you little youngster, you!!!! Salute!

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper, DerDa, farley, rontaila, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    you little youngster, you!!!!
    Get off my lawn!!

8. Likes ATAG_Marlow, danperin liked this post