Thread: ghost contacts flying overhead

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    207.95 MB

ghost contacts flying overhead

Just played two SP Quick missions (Aerial combat balanced / normal and low-level flight) with the new patch. For me far away contacts disappear soon after the mission have started. Contacts are only visible again for me when they are at pretty close range.
    Last edited by Twin; Oct-28-2021 at 18:06.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

ghost contacts flying overhead

We're seeing hundreds of ghost contacts flying overhead. Flying TWC, saw what appeared to be huge formations of aircraft that disappear when you get closer. Blasto and Tepes also observed this. They are not as obvious in this screen capture, but very obvious in-game.
    ApplicationFrameHost_nTK8TP5S7J.jpg
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.46 MB

Re: ghost contacts flying overhead

Can confirm. "Contacts" become visible at about over Angels 2.

In my screenshot only a few contacts visible, when looking around, contacts in all directions, appearing when climbing to about over Angels 2.

The contacts have a different shape as normal contacts, square and somewhat more blurry...

Edit: Ships have a "contact" added below their 3d-model, a square too (see on the left of the screenshot). Full zooming-in on them let the "contact" disappear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FG28_matkenhaus; Oct-29-2021 at 06:00.
    Greetings
    matkenhauser

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Please make me (short!) tracks of these "Non existant contacts". Will help me to fix it.

5. Likes Dauntless liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

Also seen these ghost formations on ATAG server in several missions. They are also very fast, can not catch them. Appeared after 5.028 patch. Biggest formations are over ten planes and smallest a schwarm or so. Especially in Seelöwe mission the sky was quite packed with these formations heading to England and back.
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by FG28_matkenhaus View Post
    Can confirm. "Contacts" become visible at about over Angels 2.

In my screenshot only a few contacts visible, when looking around, contacts in all directions, appearing when climbing to about over Angels 2.

The contacts have a different shape as normal contacts, square and somewhat more blurry...

Edit: Ships have a "contact" added below their 3d-model, a square too (see on the left of the screenshot). Full zooming-in on them let the "contact" disappear.
    For what its worth, saw these same contacts (shape of formation and number of dots) on the VCAF server last night. Saw them to the West, to the North and to the South during the 2hr flight there. When I would zoom in they would either get very small, or disappear.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    Please make me (short!) tracks of these "Non existant contacts". Will help me to fix it.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/b02hf...55557.trk/file

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

9. Likes BlacKnight, Artist liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    We're seeing hundreds of ghost contacts flying overhead. Flying TWC, saw what appeared to be huge formations of aircraft that disappear when you get closer. Blasto and Tepes also observed this. They are not as obvious in this screen capture, but very obvious in-game.
    ApplicationFrameHost_nTK8TP5S7J.jpg
    It has gotten worse try flying on warbirds of prey Kenndy let me Know I removed the MP DOT Rage completely! However last reported still getting ghosting which takes us back years...
    Last edited by BlacKnight; Oct-29-2021 at 09:30.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.31 MB

Re: Patch 5.028 - Freezes and 3d objects disappearing

5.028- brought back ghosting of aircraft back, also tried clearing shader cashe then.

On the server I posted:

mp_dotrange DOT 38 ( Used this to compensate for 4k issues in the past worked like a charm)

However since the patches on the DOT I have removed it completely and went back in and change my conf.ini
    visdistance 0
    visstatic 0
    meshshowLOD=0 Used to be 1 and this rendered the model which worked well (Now not sure if it is working because the DOT is muddying the plane as I get closer).

Artist can you make this a selection on server side to have any DOT at all because when I remove it it still is forcing the New DOT. and now with the ghosting issue seems like we are going backwards. By the way the improvements overall have been amazing and I prefer this sim over all others. Anyway keep working I know that it will come around just think you need more testing on the patch.

BlacKnight
    Last edited by Artist; Oct-29-2021 at 10:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    We're seeing hundreds of ghost contacts flying overhead. Flying TWC, saw what appeared to be huge formations of aircraft that disappear when you get closer. Blasto and Tepes also observed this. They are not as obvious in this screen capture, but very obvious in-game.ApplicationFrameHost_nTK8TP5S7J.jpg
    That were in fact target dots of ground objects and ships for which the earth's curvature was (for so far unknown reasons) calculated completly wrong.

We've just (Oct 29 14:30 GMT) published a hotfix.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    197.43 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    That were in fact target dots of ground objects and ships for which the earth's curvature was (for so far unknown reasons) calculated completly wrong.

We've just (Oct 29 14:30 GMT) published a hotfix.
    Thanks for your fast reaction.

I sympathize. I know per experiences that this kind of shit appens. All works fine on development server, on staging too but once release in production, all goes wrong.
    "You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"

Win 11 Pro - I5-12600KF - 32GB Ram - RTX 3080 TI 12GB (non OC) - SSD Sata 970 GBB (System) - NVMe 980 GB (games storage) - Lenovo 27'' 144Hz - HP Reverb G2 v2 -
    WMR environment : Empty room (SkySpaces) - SteamVR resolution : 2192x2144 (48%)
    nVidia driver : 536.23

14. Likes Artist, DerDa, Ceaser87 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Made a track 15:50 German time, just before the hotfix.
    Do you still need it Artist?

Anyway:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/gclrj...972/q.trk/file
    Last edited by DerDa; Oct-29-2021 at 11:34.

16. Likes Artist, Ceaser87 liked this post