Thread: JU88 Cockpit - Finally!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

JU88 Cockpit - Finally!

I'm finally getting around to assembling my JU88 cockpit console. I've had all the analog controls made for a year and a half, but didn't get around to finalizing the main instrument panel. I think I finally have it set

SpaceClaim_P7KoXK6qLd.png SpaceClaim_Yjo6PrjkD3.png SpaceClaim_CHMA8Cq9ZS.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Re: JU88 Cockpit - Finally!

Wow, this is a big undertaking. I see 11 Axis, 12 Rotary Switch's, 13 push or toggle switches + the Jettison switch, and 10 lights. I don't blame you for putting this off for some time.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Wow, this is a big undertaking. I see 11 Axis, 12 Rotary Switch's, 13 push or toggle switches + the Jettison switch, and 10 lights. I don't blame you for putting this off for some time.
    Actually 13 analog controls...the two fuel tank selector switches are actually potentiometers with 5 detents, as these are allowed for some of the fuel cocks in CloD. All the gray knobs are encoders. And the red cover actually protects the Jettison Canopy and Bail Out buttons. There is a total of around 58 digital inputs, so 2 joystick control boards will be required. And it leaves 3 analog ports available to add trim controls, which I haven't designed yet. I'll probably just use my standard 3-trim wheel panel until I do the JU88 trim controls.
    I'm thinking of mounting this on a stand that will allow it to swivel along the longitudinal axis, with a set of fighter controls on the opposite side.

SpaceClaim_7C24htegMQ.png SpaceClaim_RxBUc8Qvrr.png
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Wow!

Wellington pilots - what do you think? I see a LOT/MOST/ALL of those controls viable for our chosen ride, as well.

BTW, I’ve been using for Welly ops the trim wheel controller that Kendy ships. The encoders work fantastically well for a couple of functions: operating the newly-activated Fixed Loop Radio Compass - plus manipulating the bomb controls itself: Mode Selection, Single/Series/Salvo, Adjust Course Left/Right etc etc. These encoders have stood up to horrendous abuse by me - desperate eyes-off twiddling the encoders while lining up the bombsight onto a fast-approaching target, etc. I reckon I should put together an entertaining video to illustrate.
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Nov-03-2021 at 11:04.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

6. Likes Kendy for the State, Gingerbread liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    197.43 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    ... There is a total of around 58 digital inputs, so 2 joystick control boards will be required...
    SpaceClaim_7C24htegMQ.png SpaceClaim_RxBUc8Qvrr.png
    Controller with 128 buttons are now supported
    "You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"

Win 11 Pro - I5-12600KF - 32GB Ram - RTX 3080 TI 12GB (non OC) - SSD Sata 970 GBB (System) - NVMe 980 GB (games storage) - Lenovo 27'' 144Hz - HP Reverb G2 v2 -
    WMR environment : Empty room (SkySpaces) - SteamVR resolution : 2192x2144 (48%)
    nVidia driver : 536.23

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

Looks really cool! Makes my Warthog feel like a toy
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Wow!

Wellington pilots - what do you think? I see a LOT/MOST/ALL of those controls viable for our chosen ride, as well.

BTW, I’ve been using for Welly ops the trim wheel controller that Kendy ships. The encoders work fantastically well for a couple of functions: operating the newly-activated Fixed Loop Radio Compass - plus manipulating the bomb controls itself: Mode Selection, Single/Series/Salvo, Adjust Course Left/Right etc etc. These encoders have stood up to horrendous abuse by me - desperate eyes-off twiddling the encoders while lining up the bombsight onto a fast-approaching target, etc. I reckon I should put together an entertaining video to illustrate.
    I haven't been in a Wellington yet, but I guess I need to take a look so I can do some controls for that aircraft.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Gingerbread liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Made some slight changes to the control panel, so I'm re-printing that now. Once it's done I'll paint it to match the rest of the panels, then commence to wiring.

2yr6zeD.png

Gluing the sections of the master panel together...I considered making it out of wood and just cutting on the CNC mill, but decided to just print it in sections and glue it. Next to sand and paint it.

oGIUl7x.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Flanker35M, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Hi Kendy
    Curious about how you will setup the flaps control. Microswitches, axis position mapping or some other solution? Mine has microswitches and has been a bit of a knife fight to get working properly.

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_SKUD View Post
    Hi Kendy
    Curious about how you will setup the flaps control. Microswitches, axis position mapping or some other solution? Mine has microswitches and has been a bit of a knife fight to get working properly.

skud
    I just use a potentiometer... it is an analog control that, depending on the aircraft, recognizes multiple positions positions. On the Ju88-A1, top position is up, next is neutral, next is flaps down, next is back up (and I assume prep for dive braking). When preparing to land, move the lever back up one to the down position, then once the indicator shows they are down, back to neutral. CloD recognized the 4 different positions of the flaps based on the position of the pot. Kind of like using a potentiometer for fuel cock...depending on the aircraft CloD will recognize multiple positions of the pot, so, for instance, on the JU88 it recognizes 4 positions (Off, Left, Right, Both) for both fuel cocks 1 and 2. On the Martlet it recognizes 5 positions (Off, Left Drop tank, Right Drop tank, Main, and Reserve.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

15. Likes ATAG_SKUD liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Making Progress...

bfTw0wF.jpeg QSWYEYw.jpeg eB9QAOI.jpeg rflqXcG.jpeg

Next is wiring, and putting together the chassis.
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; Nov-12-2021 at 17:04.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV