Thread: Hi everybody - are you guys flying BoS as well?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi everybody - are you guys flying BoS as well?

I'd really love to play CLOD, but I'm on Linux, and it's difficult to get it running.

But BoS runs really great Constantly looking to get CLOD running as well though

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

Re: Hi everybody - are you guys flying BoS as well?

Hi acebone, glad to hear of your success with Linux and BoS. I've also had an eye on Martinsyde's successful report https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=35256 . I notice in his ProtonDB post he's using Ubuntu 18.04 and an earlier Proton https://www.protondb.com/app/754530 . Please keep us informed if you have any success.

3. Likes acebone liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
    Hi acebone, glad to hear of your success with Linux and BoS. I've also had an eye on Martinsyde's successful report https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=35256 . I notice in his ProtonDB post he's using Ubuntu 18.04 and an earlier Proton https://www.protondb.com/app/754530 . Please keep us informed if you have any success.
    Sure will. Not going to downgrade my system tho'. Too much hassle, as I use it for a lot of other stuff too. It must be possible to run it on a newer distro as well.

At the time I replied to Martinyde's post, I was still waiting for my joystick to arrive. When it finally came, BoS wouldn't recognize it, or so I thought. I waded through 100s of "Steam is not picking up my controller", and I now know quite a bit more about Linux USB-system than I did before. Turned out that the problem was that my joystick registered as "joy_7" and all the BoS default setting was for "joy_0" LOL.

Back in the Il2-days, my computer wasn't beefy enough, so I was quite humble with settings. Turns out that I can actually fly in 1920x1080, with Anti-aliasing and the whole shebang. Marvellous! And nowadays they even have shaders, making the game look even more awesome.

BoS is really great. Currently flying the Yak-1, and getting killed on 1., 2. or 3. career-mission without fail

I'll have a look on getting CLOD running when some new info turns up. From the youtube-vids, I can see that it is very much the successor to the original Il-2 and Forgotten Battles, and I really miss that

What do you guys think of BoS compared to CLOD?
    Last edited by acebone; Nov-06-2021 at 06:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Cliffs has better damage models, better engine model and systems model and easier spotting and identification and also looks better. For example BoS does not have hydraulics and gear mechanics so you will never see a plane dropping one landing leg after a hit.
    BoS has late war planes that's all.

6. Likes danperin, rontaila liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by acebone View Post
    Both sims have their strengths.
    There are people who like both, and there are others who prefer one of them for one reason or the other.

It's always nice to have more than one option.

That said I prefer CloD for the things Palker said. In my opinion the different aircraft feel and behave really differently and you have to learn each of them anew, watch the dials, learn what you can do and what you can't.And this is really different for each variant and again you can feel differences with different load-outs.
    The side screen in BoX with 'continous mode' and such is too arcady for me.

Another big plus for CloD in my opinion is the community. You'll never find a more friendly and more helpful bunch of guys anywhere in the net.

S!

DerDa

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Well said, DerDa! That tallies with my experience too.

Hi Acebone...good to have you here! Another reason I really enjoy CLoD is what I see as the use of 'natural colour. By that, Kent, the Garden of England' really does look like it does in-game. In my opinion, CLoD uses a very realistic 'water colour' palette that is subtly understated. Looking at some of the vids of other flight sims, some of them seem to use very bright colours that are a little too 'tecnicolour' for me. But each to his own!

Enjoy your flying and I hope you are able to 'wing up' with us on CLoD soon! Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Another big plus for CloD in my opinion is the community. You'll never find a more friendly and more helpful bunch of guys anywhere in the net.

S!

DerDa
    Probably because testosterone levels drop off as you age
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

10. Likes DerDa, Rostic, Pinguim, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

Acebone, I agree, I wouldn't downgrade my distro either. My experience with WINE in the past with different programs varied between similar hardware on the same OS level. It can be very much YMMV.

Perhaps CloD ran enough on your system to write an error itself. Have a look in the CloD %userdata% (C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover on Windows) for updated files. Binary crash dumps are in the \cppcrash subdirectory.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

I personally prefer CloD, but I love the variety in GBS and the direction its devs are taking it in.
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    873.48 MB

Why? That`s why.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r739/larry691/GZ-H%201_zpsdphexiii.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Cartoon versus authentic. The colour and lighting (sunrise, daytime, sunset) in Clod is exceptional even now (will Truesky change it?) compared to BoX. The BoX lighting is just awful!

Nighttime BoX rules the roost hands down, CloD suffers terribly with its night environment.... but daylight hours... CloD is (even now) so much more impressive.
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

15. Likes ATAG_Marlow, Rostic, Pinguim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post

Oh yeah??

You and whose Army four eyes !!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey