Thread: Conserve 20mm Ammo by programming your trigger

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Conserve 20mm Ammo by programming your trigger

I'm always shooting up all of my 20mm before I run out of enemy planes to shoot at! Hmm... I wish I could set my guns up to work like the M-16 does; select fire for accurate short bursts or full automatic for "hosing" down the one that just won't hold still. Once again, Thrustmaster Target software comes to the rescue.

Thrustmaster is not the only programmable, two-stage trigger available, but since it's what I have, I'll describe what I did to make it work. First, I needed a command from the keyboard for firing 20mm that will not accidentally destroy my wingman if I hit the wrong key. Any modifier key (Shift, ALT, Ctrl) coupled with your favorite "Fire" key should work, but I like CTRL simply for my own programming consistency. I chose [CTRL+'C'] for my cannon fire button.

Using TARGET Script Editor software, I assigned a script to send a [PULSE+CTRL+"C'] command to my CLoD Spitfire when the trigger is pressed halfway to the first stage position (TG1), which is my short burst position. I also assigned another script line to execute a simple [CTRL+'C'] to the second stage (TG2) position for full automatic fire. The "PULSE" modifier in the stage 1 command causes a key to act like a quick "Press and release", even if you hold the button down longer than the desired period of time. In my setup, this fires about three rounds even if I get all excited and forget to release from the first position. If I need to activate phasers, I simply pull the trigger fully to the second stage and voila! I'm Audie Murphy on full auto!

Here is the applicable lines of script from the Thrustmaster TARGET SCRIPT EDITOR CLoD Spitfire.tmc file I wrote for my Warthog equipped system:

MapKey(&Joystick, TG1, PULSE+L_CTL+'c');//Short burst cannon trigger
    MapKey(&Joystick, TG2, L_CTL+'c');//Full automatic cannon trigger (TM picture says "TX2" in error)

You can cut and paste these lines into your own profile if you use TARGET Script editor, or make your own using TARGET GUI.

The only thing left to do is to assign "Control C" into the CLoD aircraft controls menu where "Fire Cannon" is the option.

Assign another control of your choice to your "Fire machine guns" option. I like the "Weapons Release Button" (S2), because that's where the fire button is in the real Spitfire airplane.

Hope this gives you some more 20mm trigger time...
    Last edited by Baffin; Nov-10-2021 at 15:39.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Re: Conserve 20mm Ammo by programming your trigger

I've noticed a lack of firepower using default PULSE timing. Here's an additional script to change the rate of fire of the pulse command:

SetKBRate(25, 33); //Default Keyboard and Delay time(ms).

This is the default time (In milliseconds) for the [PULSE] and [D()] (Delay command) in the TARGET Script Editor.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To increase the number of rounds fired in one PULSE by 20%, you can try:

SetKBRate(30, 33); //Keyboard default rate increased by 5ms (20%).

Simply change the 25 to a 30 in the script. See T.A.R.G.E.T Script Editor Basics User Manual v1.5 – page 23/60 for details.

2021/11/12-Tested 30ms KeyBoard [PULSE] rate (Trigger dwell) today with excellent results. One burst ripped the wing off a BF-110 at 300 yards.
    Never ran out of 20mm today!
    Last edited by Baffin; Nov-12-2021 at 17:45. Reason: Test results added
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.