Thread: Need help with Elevator trim

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Need help with Elevator trim

Just wondering how this could be key mapped. I notice at full throttle all the aircraft go up so constantly fighting the plane makes it difficult to shoot.
    I tried mapping it to a key like a down arrow, but it didn't seem to do anything.
    Are most controls similar to IL-2 1946 also apply to the Great Battles series as well ?.
    I ran out of rotary controls on my joystick so keys are all I have left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Re: Need help with Elevator trim

Quote Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
    Just wondering how this could be key mapped. I notice at full throttle all the aircraft go up so constantly fighting the plane makes it difficult to shoot.
    I tried mapping it to a key like a down arrow, but it didn't seem to do anything.
    Are most controls similar to IL-2 1946 also apply to the Great Battles series as well ?.
    I mapped my keys to elevator UP and DOWN keypresses. This works well, but increasing airspeed should always cause a pitch up without a corresponding trim or elevator input.
    Last edited by Baffin; Nov-15-2021 at 22:49. Reason: Line 1: Changed throttle to speed
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, ASUS TUF X299 MARK 1 (LGA 2066 R4), 2x 1 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 970/960 EVO. Intel Core i7 7800X, overclocked CPU: 4.4 GHz, using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling (GPU:<70°/CPU:<80°) with Hyper 212 Cooler w/ 2 fans. 32.0GB RAM at 2772MHz (16-17-17-36), LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, 2-way SLI using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti's (MSI) overclocked: +80/+250 (MSI Afterburner) using NVIDIA color settings: Highest-8bpc/YCbCr444-Limited. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. ASUS Blu-Ray drive BW-12B1ST, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Trims & Gear), Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

3. Likes Gingerbread liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hello, is the discussion about elevator or (horizontal) stabilizer trim? Sorry for the question, all these technical things are a little confusing for me.
    Last edited by GANIX; Nov-22-2021 at 05:47.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.74 MB

They are pretty much the same thing - its just the method used to trim aircraft differs. As no aircraft has both elevator trim and stabiliser trim you should be able to map both to same key presses or analogue axis. Stabiliser is used on German planes, and basically the whole elevator is offset to trim by pilot. British (and the americans P40/F4 in game) it controls a small trim tab which produces pressure on the elevator to provide trimming action (saves pilot doing it). And I am sorry to say I dont know which the Italians used (cant remember do not fly them regularly enough to have it off the top of my head).

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I only see one key for it though, is there a way to put 2 key maps under one thing. Just a bit confused.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

You could try this control:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1028988..._1&pro=1&frs=1
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.14 MB

I only see one key for it though, is there a way to put 2 key maps under one thing. Just a bit confused.

Keys should have trim up and down. Axis is just one.
    i5 10850k @5.0 Ghz | RTX 3080 | 64 Gb RAM | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

if you are using Trackir, the POV button on your joystick is really good for elevator and rudder trim, if you have a few dollars the gear falcon trim box is a good investment.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    530.06 MB

I'm with JackMaxx re the Gear Falcon trim box being a good investment if you can spare the coin. I've found it makes trimming far easier and almost intuitive. Having used it, I'd have a hard time going back to a POV button or keybind.
    ATAG_Bubba

Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    396.83 MB

Or, for some serious coin, and if you can track one down as they rare as anything, you could try a Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel.
    Intel I5 - 3570K CPU @ 3.40 - 3.80 GHZ, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, Evo 850 SSD 500GB, Ram 16GB DDR3, Win 7 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Track IR5.