Thread: Hurricane fuel load and trim.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hurricane fuel load and trim.

I've noticed that at full fuel load, the Hurricane can be trimmed for 'hands off' flight.
    As the fuel load reduces to 75%, the central, i.e. reserve tank, is depleted according to the cockpit gauges, yet the aircraft flies right wing low.
    This has been the case since the game was released, as far as memory serves.

Questions: 1) How come depleting the central reserve tank makes the Hurri fly right wing low?
    2) How come the reserve tank is the first to be depleted, despite it's 'reserve' function?
    Last edited by Aelfric; Dec-15-2021 at 19:27.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Hurricane fuel load and trim.

Anyone?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Never mind then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

I tried to recreate this with a Hurricane I Rotol 100octane. When I set the cock to main the fuel in my port and starboard tanks decreased on the fuel gauge. Likewise setting the cock to reserve showed decreasing fuel in the reserve tank on the gauge. When you hover the mouse point over the fuel gauge it says "fuel reserve" regardless of the tank selected, this could be interpreted as fuel in the reserve tank. Perhaps that's an explanation for what you report in point two.

5. Likes Little Bill liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
    I tried to recreate this with a Hurricane I Rotol 100octane. When I set the cock to main the fuel in my port and starboard tanks decreased on the fuel gauge. Likewise setting the cock to reserve showed decreasing fuel in the reserve tank on the gauge. When you hover the mouse point over the fuel gauge it says "fuel reserve" regardless of the tank selected, this could be interpreted as fuel in the reserve tank. Perhaps that's an explanation for what you report in point two.
    Thanks for having the courtesy to reply.

It's a little complicated to explain, as the cockpit gauge itself has three different switch positions, i.e. port, starboard and central.

If we start a mission at 100% fuel, all tanks are full and the aircraft can be flown 'hands off'.

If we start a mission on 75% fuel, the central tank is empty yet the aircraft flies right wing low.

I'd be happy to stand corrected if this has already been updated.
    Last edited by Aelfric; Dec-01-2021 at 16:51. Reason: added 'switch'

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Aelfric View Post
    I've noticed that at full fuel load, the Hurricane can be trimmed for 'hands off' flight.
    As the fuel load reduces to 75%, the central, i.e. reserve tank, is depleted according to the cockpit gauges, yet the aircraft flies right wing low.
    This has been the case since the game was released, as far as memory serves.

Questions: 1) How come depleting the central reserve tank makes the Hurri fly right wing low?
    2) How come the reserve tank is the first to be depleted, despite the fuel tap being switched to 'main'?
    Air Publication 1564A Volume 1 has some related information on page F.S. /4 of Section 1 and in the opening paragraphs of section 2. I'm not sure if the CLoD sim is programmed to reflect these restrictions, but it may point you in the right direction.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Cool Re: Hurricane fuel load and trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    Air Publication 1564A Volume 1 has some related information on page F.S. /4 of Section 1 and in the opening paragraphs of section 2. I'm not sure if the CLoD sim is programmed to reflect these restrictions, but it may point you in the right direction.
    Amusing. Haha.

I'd bet it doesn't explain how losing mass from the central tank makes the aircraft fly right wing low though.

Thanks for the input, obviously well researched in minutiae....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Aelfric View Post
    Amusing. Haha.

I'd bet it doesn't explain how losing mass from the central tank makes the aircraft fly right wing low though.

Thanks for the input, obviously well researched in minutiae....
    If you can't stand the answer, don't ask the question.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

There is definitely something wrong.

Cross Country mission, Hurricane IIc Late. Fuel cock to Main, flew normally. Fuel started to deplete (gauge showed more than 24 gal left). Changed fuel cock to Aux. Plane flew normally. Fuel dropped to around 24 (mouse over), plane began dropping its right wing. Switch fuel cock to main and it was as if auto-trim had set in. The aircraft stopped dropping the right wing. Changed fuel cock back to Auxiliar and guess what? Right wing starts dropping. Switch back to main? Aircraft flys straight…

It wasn‘t torque. There were no changes in boost (0.6 lb/sqft) or rpm (2400).
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

11. Likes Aelfric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

I've looked at this a couple times since I posted. When I start a flight and trim the plane so VSI and slip indicator are centred I get gradual right wing drop. Following J-Hat's post I gave it another go and continued to fly until main tanks were below 24 gallons. Switching fuel cock to reserve and back I find the plane flies level, though in a flat right hand turn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

It sounds like you boys are onto something here. May I recommend you post this in the bug checker in this forum. It's a pain, but it really does serve to correct problems that the developers have missed.
    Last edited by Baffin; Dec-04-2021 at 17:23.

14. Likes Aelfric liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Goodness me.

Thankyou gentlemen.

It seems that after a little more consideration and testing, the point has some validity.

Who'da thunk eh?

The easiest test is to start the 'cross country' mission with 100% fuel, take off and trim the aeroplane for straight and level hands off flight.

Then start the same 'cross country' mission with 75% fuel. The central tank will be empty, the wing tanks full, yet the aircraft cannot be trimmed for straight and level flight and flies right wing low.

Happy testing folks.
    Last edited by Aelfric; Dec-13-2021 at 18:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

If you have a controller that supports Thrustmaster TARGET scripting software, you can program aileron trim into the joystick. It's not realistic for RAF WW2 fighters, but it works very well as a work around for lack of aileron trim control. This is called "axis trimming", and is found on page 29/60 of Thrustmaster's "Fast Scripts Basic" user manual. It is my understanding that a number of non-thrustmaster controllers can also use this.

Software: https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/...taswarthog-en/

Manual: https://ts.thrustmaster.com/download...s_v1.5_eng.pdf

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    If you have a controller that supports Thrustmaster TARGET scripting software, you can program aileron trim into the joystick. It's not realistic for RAF WW2 fighters, but it works very well as a work around for lack of aileron trim control. This is called "axis trimming", and is found on page 29/60 of Thrustmaster's "Fast Scripts Basic" user manual. It is my understanding that a number of non-thrustmaster controllers can also use this.

Software: https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/...taswarthog-en/

Manual: https://ts.thrustmaster.com/download...s_v1.5_eng.pdf

Thanks Baff, that's a nice workaround. Maybe TFS could get around to sussing the basic anomaly someday. Although if progress with the Tiger Moth can be considered a yardstick, I won't hold my breath.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Aelfric; Dec-16-2021 at 19:35.