Thread: Colour banding

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    118.80 MB

Colour banding

Hi !

First problem is ugly colour banding in CloD Tobruk.
    You can see it at the sky.
    But I also have strange dark strips at wing like interference from magnetic field or so.

I set graph. settings in game to max.
    But I dont know what is better SMAA or FXAA and in SMAA, edge detection or colour detection.

My comp is good enought so at Nvidia panel I set settings to max but still game looks worse in aspect of antialising then IL-2 BoX.
    I set antialising - x8 and override application settings.
    FXAA is off.

And this is not my monitor because IL-2 BoX looks great without this problems.
    Pls help.

Attached Images Attached Images
    My PC spec.: i5 6400 @ 2.7 GHz, GTX 1080 8GB, 16GB RAM, Dell 2007FP (20.1") 4:3, Sidewinder 2 FF joystick, Win 10

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Re: Colour banding

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Not sure what Palker is trying to tell us with this video.

Anyway, color banding has been a CloD issue for many years. Our only hope for this to get fixed is probably TrueSky which may or may not change the skybox together with the clouds and weather.
    You can remove most of the color banding by running ReShade with Deband effect. However I have found that Deband does introduce quite a bit of input lag. Probably not much of an issue for a SP user but in MP this is quite annoying.

4. Likes dziki, rontaila liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

I’ve stopped using nvidia’s and the game’s AA and switched to a Reshade FXAA filter. It looks good in 1440p.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

What version of reshade are you using JHat
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Nvidia control panel/Display/Change Resolution/... set resolution native to your display, then set NVidia Color settings: Color depth Highest (32-bit)/output color depth 8 bpc/ Output Color format YCbCr444 (If unable, choose RGB). Output dynamic range: Limited.

This works just like DeBanding found in add-on utilities.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    933.02 MB

Baffin

Great tip man. You are a true fountain of knowledge.

If you can tell me how I can secure a Gold membership to hungshemale.com, I will be even more impressed

kilo9

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    Nvidia control panel/Display/Change Resolution/... set resolution native to your display, then set NVidia Color settings: Color depth Highest (32-bit)/output color depth 8 bpc/ Output Color format YCbCr444 (If unable, choose RGB). Output dynamic range: Limited.
    All this seems to do for me is make the entire display dull and matt, both ingame and on the desktop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    All this seems to do for me is make the entire display dull and matt, both ingame and on the desktop.
    Go figure. We must have significantly different hardware or drivers. Mine is set up for 4K OLED TV.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post

This works just like DeBanding found in add-on utilities.
    Most of this is lowering the quality of the colors and shades.
    RGB is a higher quality than YCbCR444 and limited dynamic range basically has it in the name, a limited dynamic range of shades.
    I can't even select full dynamic range or even higher than 8 bit depth in YCbCR444 for nvidia.

If you set limited dynamic range on a computer monitor it probably will wash out the full black and full white which is what Karaya is experiencing.
    For TV's theres an option probably called "black level" which on my 10 year old LG TV is set to "high" for full dynamic range and to "low" for low dynamic range to make the washed out black fully black again.

All your settings seem to decrease the resolution of colors and shades and therefore expand the same color/shade i.e. you make the banding larger and the steps when it changes to another color larger while swallowing the color details.
    It might help though, but it isn't my personal preference to go for lower bit rate or that kind.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Nov-25-2021 at 12:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Could we ask TFS to post a few images looking at the sky box, this will at least clarify it, especially as the team have already shown it in action for WiP?
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    118.80 MB

As for colour banding I understood that this is an old problem which is mostly visible in lower resolution.
    I have rather old monitor (9 years) Dell 21' 4x3 1600x1200. It fits great to my desk so I don't want to change it.
    When I look at the sky in my picture at my Samsung laptop, in 1900x900, the colour banding is almost unnoticeable.

BUT problem with colour distortion visible at my wings is still serious.
    You can see it at enlarged image as dark strips at green and brown colour.
    I try many settings in game and Nvidia panel and this is still visible and annoying.
    Last edited by dziki; Nov-27-2021 at 10:06.
    My PC spec.: i5 6400 @ 2.7 GHz, GTX 1080 8GB, 16GB RAM, Dell 2007FP (20.1") 4:3, Sidewinder 2 FF joystick, Win 10

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    Not sure what Palker is trying to tell us with this video.

Anyway, color banding has been a CloD issue for many years. Our only hope for this to get fixed is probably TrueSky which may or may not change the skybox together with the clouds and weather.
    You can remove most of the color banding by running ReShade with Deband effect. However I have found that Deband does introduce quite a bit of input lag. Probably not much of an issue for a SP user but in MP this is quite annoying.
    That it is impossible to avoid color banding on regular 8 bit monitor there is not enough colours to represent smooth gradients on a large screen.

16. Likes Karaya liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    118.80 MB

Monitor is set to 32-bit colour and this is model for prof. purposes.
    Last edited by dziki; Nov-27-2021 at 09:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by dziki View Post
    Monitor is set to 32-bit colour and this is model for prof. purposes.
    What you see is the desktop color with RGBA, RGB and an Alpha channel (probably something to do with transparency)
    8 bits per color channel
    3 colors
    3 x 8 = 24 bits
    + 8 bit alpha channel=32

If you're looking for higher bits and for games not the desktop, then you're probably looking for the output color depth higher than 8 bpc (bit per color)

Though as the video posted above says, the color is determined by the weakest link, which is probably the game not outputting more than 8 bpc

in the conf.ini of cliffs of dover depthbits is 24 and probably nothing changes if you try to adjust this.
    Code:
    [BOB]

[window]
      DepthBits  =24
      StencilBits=8
      DrawIfNotFocused=0
      SaveAspect=0
    Render=D3D11
    width=1920
    height=1080
    posLeft=0
    posTop=0
    ColourBits=32
    FullScreen=1
    ChangeScreenRes=1
    Frequency=60
    StereoMode=0

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    118.80 MB

Well, I read a bit about it and it seems that people want to fly to Mars but they don't know how to solve colour banding with 8-bit monitor and 16,7 mln colours
    Why they don't produce 16-bit monitors ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Current state of the art is a 10 bit monitor with over a billion colours (1024^3) 16-bit would be a total overkill with 65536^3 colours. And as said previously Cliffs only outputs 8 bit per channel so 10-bit monitor would be no help at all.
    Insufficient bits is the issue for the colour banding in the sky.
    As for this banding on the attached screenshot, well I have no idea what to do with that but I am pretty sure it is a game problem.
    FrQtpmK.jpg

21. Likes dziki, Tibsun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I like a bit of colour.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

What all of this shows, is that the color settings have some impact on most display screens. If RGB works better for you, then the course of action is obvious. I simply found that YCbCr444 works best for me and that RGB also solves the DeBanding issue. Use the setting you like...
    Last edited by Baffin; Nov-29-2021 at 10:16. Reason: phrase deleted

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    118.80 MB

I think I solved the problems

First, I took over a monitor from my child (he must to learn).
    Second, I switched on sharpen in Nvidia settings.

25. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Quote Originally Posted by dziki View Post
    I think I solved the problems

First, I took over a monitor from my child (he must to learn).
    Second, I switched on sharpen in Nvidia settings.

In your Nvidia Image Sharpening settings in the Nvidia control panel, What were the setting for "Sharpen" and "Ignore Film Grain"? Also, does this have any impact on contact spotting?
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    118.80 MB

Unfortunately problem with colour banding, visible at wing (Spitfire with brown camouflage) is still present.
    It is strange to me, because changing a monitor to full HD solved the problem with sky banding.

I use sharpening with default settings. Contact spotting comparing to BoX is still good.