Thread: If you get a little tried of fly....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

If you get a little tried of fly....

Hi everyone:

Yes if you're getting a little tired of flying give this a try. Go reread one of your favorite pilot biographies, I forgot how reved up you can actually get ..You all know what I mean

2. Likes ATAG_TCP, Rostic, rontaila liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Re: If you get a little tried of fly....

Absolutely!
    Good call Rich, I remember being loaned a copy of Bader's biography and it was excellent!
    A Higher Call by Adam Makos was excellent also, not quite a biography in the original sense but still about a number of pilots told in a factual manner.
    I'm sure there are plenty more out there too.
    I haven't finished Adolf Galland's autobiography yet, very statistic based, but still strait from the horse's mouth so to speak.
    Might have to pick it up again haha!

4. Likes IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

I'm glad you agree. Some books are excellent A Higher Call was so good! Going to the pub with Bobby was hilarious

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_TCP View Post
    Absolutely!
    Good call Rich, I remember being loaned a copy of Bader's biography and it was excellent!
    A Higher Call by Adam Makos was excellent also, not quite a biography in the original sense but still about a number of pilots told in a factual manner.
    I'm sure there are plenty more out there too.
    I haven't finished Adolf Galland's autobiography yet, very statistic based, but still strait from the horse's mouth so to speak.
    Might have to pick it up again haha!

With the Galland book you have to read between the lines.
    He is very much trying to clean his record and was pretty pissed off, that he was found not suitable for a job in the newly founded 'Bundesluftwaffe'.
    Steinhoff's books 'The Straits of Messina' and 'The Final Hours' are much along the same line, but he was less high up the food chain and thus more successfull after the war.

There are really good biographies/autobiographies for Meimberg, Rall and Krupinski, that complement each others nicely, but as far as I know they are not available in English.

My favourites are two books not written by fighter pilots: 'Six weeks of Blenheim Summer' and 'War in a Stringbag'. Especially the latter is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

'War in a Stringbag'...........thanks DerDa! Might have to treat myself for Christmas!

I have to say that I, too, very much enjoyed 'Six Weeks of Blenheim Summer' and, in fact, I enjoyed re enacting some of the journeys flown by the Blenheim crew on our Cliffs of Dover Servers. The map is extensive enough to allow you to do this, whilst navigating and experiencing the journey in real time. Great fun!

I am actually reading Tom Neil's 'Scramble' at the moment. It is a biography (three books in one, I believe, including 'Gun Button to Fire') where he narrates the story of his pre war training and wartime fighter pilot career with 249 Squadron. He eventually has the horrendous task of leading eleven Hurricanes from HMS Ark Royal to Malta without getting lost, running out of fuel or getting shot down by the enemy fighters based at Pantellaria and Lampadusa. It is a very exciting and often hilarious read and is not easy to put down.

This is my second time of reading it and I very rarely can repeat books. Excellent writing....and right up all our streets!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    873.48 MB

A very interesting summary of ten WWII aviation stories. From touching to partly scary. Fitting for the time period covered by Cliffs of Dover Blitz/Desert Wings.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r739/larry691/GZ-H%201_zpsdphexiii.jpg

9. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

Thanks to the book list thread in this section I've picked up a nice little selection.
    So far it's up to : Nine Lives Alan Deere, Duel Of Eagles Peter Townsend , Schnaufer Ace of Diamonds, the above mentioned Scramble, The Last Torpedo Flyers, Stuka Pilot Hans Rudel, Bomber Boys by Kevin Wilson, Hit & Run - Daring Air Attacks in World War II (Pen & Sword), Eagles Wings Hajo Herrmann, Spitfire On My Tail, Stormbird Buchner, The Blond Knight of Germany: A Biography Of...Erich Hartmann.
    Should keep me going for a while.
    Perfect remedy for coping with a divorce....
    Intel I7 - 11700K CPU @ 3.60 GHZ, Nvidia RTX 3080, Evo 970 SSD 1TB, Ram 32GB , Win 10 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Falcon Gear Trim Unit, Track IR5.