Thread: Major PC Issue trying to figure out-need troubleshooting advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Major PC Issue trying to figure out-need troubleshooting advice

My PC had been running fine for 4 months after getting a new 3080ti graphics card. Before that it ran fine for two years with the previous card. As I was installing a Windows update I suddenly got a pop in the headphones and the machine died. I tried to cold restart but the CPU fan LED would only come on for an instant and the fan would turn a couple of revs before it dies again. I replaced the motherboard with the exact same model. Started the machine everything going well but couldn't get the SB AE-9 sound card working so I downloaded new drivers for it and as they were installing POP - same thing happens again. I don't want to blow up another motherboard. I ordered a PSU tester to see if something has gone south there but otherwise I'm stumped. The PSU is a Corsair AX-1200 which should last many years.
    Thanks for any advice

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

Re: Major PC Issue trying to figure out-need troubleshooting advice

I'm wondering if there is an electrical issue with the sound card that is causing it to pop the Motherboard. I'd recommend you remove the sound card for now, and try again with onboard sound from the motherboard and see if that's working.
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Thanks Headshot. The sound card was one of my prime suspects. I will definitely introduce one variable at a time with the new mobo. I guess it could have failed while using it. It probably has mid-line caps in it. I may put the soundcard in my old I-2600 machine I have still laying around to see if it blows that one up. On the second mobo that blew up I tried to get it to start without the soundcard and without the graphics card- no joy. So whatever it did it took out the motherboard.

skud
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Dec-09-2021 at 00:02.
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

It sounds like a power supply problem to me. Merry Christmas troubleshooting.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Cool Re: Major PC Issue trying to figure out-need troubleshooting advice

S!~

Had a nearly identical issue with a newer computer. It was the SSD - try unplugging one of them and booting up. Good luck.

Blasto
    <a href=http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2895&dateline=1384197801 target=_blank>http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ine=1384197801</a>