Thread: Bomber's Moon

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    298.01 MB

Bomber's Moon

Is there a setting I am clearly not seeing that allows for a full moon night for a Bomber's moon run?

2. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Re: Bomber's Moon

Quote Originally Posted by jamestkirk1001 View Post
    Is there a setting I am clearly not seeing that allows for a full moon night for a Bomber's moon run?
    You need to set a date for the mission where there was a full moon in real life.

4. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Am I remembering correctly that you can navigate by the stars in the game too?
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    Yep!

8. Likes ATAG_Snapper, major_setback liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    Where is the sextant in the game?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Where is the sextant in the game?
    Hehehehe, he said sex

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper, palker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

423FD1EC-A2C1-4DC9-9C93-A641502C90D3.jpeg 55209546-1D26-46ED-83F9-122B6D96FDB7.jpeg

I’m gonna have to try this!

Update: Well, dang. I had wrongly thought the date could be manually changed in the FMB. Wrongo, Snapper! Only the time of day (wrt date changes) can be changed. Rats!! I did a search of this forum to see if there was any .ini changes I could do, but nojoy for anything that would accommodate my limited skillset.

However, one thing I tried - just for chuckles - was to open a night mission I had on hand that had a half moon high in the winter sky. I used my mouseview to move a parked Wellington so that in external view the cockpit canopy was just "touching" the moon. I then advanced the speed to 16X and sure enough, the moon gradually rose above the canopy over a few minutes of elapsed time (at x16 normal speed, of course). Cool!

Is there any script/utility that would enable us to manually change the date of a Single Mission in order to create a "Bomber Moon" full moon?
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Jan-18-2022 at 11:47.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

Based on my tests and feedback I got from this question (https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=35521) I don't think this is possible. The only moon I ever see is a waxing quarter moon and I've yet to see stars. As I understand it sun and moon times only change based on the season of the map. I take this to mean there are only three different sunsets on the channel map, one for each season map. I'd be interested in seeing anything to the contrary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Each map has a date hard coded in. The moon will be at 83% full in July 15, 1940, on the summer Channel map.

16. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    298.01 MB

Grazie mille!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Oskar View Post
    Each map has a date hard coded in.
    You are right! my mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by jamestkirk1001 View Post
    Not to discourage your interest in this... but I think you are misunderstanding what the term 'Bomber's Moon' meant.

RAF Bomber pilots preferred a 'New Moon'... not a 'Full Moon'... what you are asking for.

They wanted low light, so the Night Fighters could not see them as easily.

The worst Mission for the RAF's Bomber Command happened on 31st of March 1944 when they lost 95 bombers out of 795 which were sent out... it happened on a full moon night.

I understand the game currently is difficult to fly in at a night... the visibility is quite low when there is a lot of clouds and not much of a moon.

That is actually not unrealistic... flying at night and bombing accurately was very difficult... this is why each side spent so much time developing electronic systems to allow night bombing.

Games like the GREAT BATTLES series which have the night environment highly lighted... not much lower visibility than daytime... are modeled for playability... nothing wrong with that, but not really accurate.

TF may also make concessions to playability and re-model our night environment and visibility at some point to allow easier gameplay, but this is not high on our list of priorities.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Jan-19-2022 at 20:15.

20. Likes Gingerbread liked this post