Thread: Joining the game!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    460.85 MB

Joining the game!

Good day everybody!

I have been around since my Christmas leave i.e. about five weeks. I have not written here before because I did not see this thread at all to begin with. I will turn 59 years this year. I have no connection to aeroplanes in my real life with the one exception: I still tend to build those marvelous scale models (1:72 and 1:35) which I have been building since 1969. It means that I have built at least a couple of hundreds of Spitfires, Me 109:s, Zeros, Stukas, Hurricanes etc. I have also built roughly fifty submarines. None of them worked and most of them were just toys made of wood for myself, my younger brother and later for my own sons.

Decades ago my aunt once flattered me praising one wooden U-Boot (VII C). I had built it from scratch and it looked just good, but it was not very detailed. It was a playable toy, not a showpiece. Nobody would really praise that kind of a model. But she did and in addition she said, that she would be delighted in having such a thing on her bookshelf. I think that I was thirteen years old or so and I decided to take her words seriously. So I built one U-boot for her (something like 20 cm long). I made it from scratch. I used a few weeks to finish it and then I gave it to her as a surprise gift.

It was a good lesson for her NOT to be too polite. She has that U-boot on her bookshelf even today and obviously it is not that kind of decoration, which a lady like she would like to have. But since she praised me once for that, now she pays for it and feels obliged to keep the U-boot on the bookshelf. She has never flattered me again. Ha-ha!

What else... I used to play the old IL-Sturmovik quite a lot years ago and quit some eleven years ago. A couple of years ago I thought it might be nice to play again, but I had not enough time to study this sim. Instead of that I installed the U-Boat from Steam and enjoyed very much. The game itself is easy and very pleasant to see. I used the U-boat with the oceanic scenery as a "living decoration" at my desk during working hours. It was relaxing to watch the beautifully modeled sea, clouds, sunshine and the slender U-Boot.

Well I think this is enough of chatter for now. I also want to thank for the warmhearted welcome I received as some other men have said, too. It is morning, saturday and to-night shall take place the first big game online. Let us all join and have fun.

See you (shoot you) there,
    Cheerio
    Always at your service....and always in your crosshairs,
    I remain
    ATAG_Walstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Re: Joining the game!

That's a really great introductory post, Walstein! Thanks for sharing it with us! It helps to put details to the man, if you know what I mean. I have really enjoyed flying with you over the last week or so. Your English is just a little better than my Finnish! (Cough, cough!)

As I told you on Team Speak, I used to make dozens of Airfix models, back in the 60's when I was a young lad and my Dad would often paint them for me. Dad was a very careful painter who paid attention to every detail. I would often watch him start the work but later, when I had to go up to bed, I knew that when I came down the next morning the aircraft would be standing on it's transparent plastic support (remember those) completely finished and looking ....magnificent!

We lost Dad in 2019, just before covid struck and last year I had to clear his house; an enormous and unpleasent task. Up in the loft, I found a box (which I instantly recognised) full of models: Spitfires, 109's, a Short Sunderland, a Wellington, the Queen Mary, a Boston...the list went on and on. Some were in reasonable condition...the paintwork still looked excellent...but many had lost guns and propellors. I had no space to keep these models from my childhood but just did not have the heart to dump them.

In the end, my sister offered to 'lose them' and I accepted her kind offer! It's tough....time moves on relentlessly...and we lose many of the people and things we love....but........

We still have Cliffs of Dover to rekindle our old enthusiasms! So... see you tonight, over Tobruk, Walstein! And this time I will be shooting! Ha ha! Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Can't have enough scale modellers here

065a (small).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi DerDa...

Yes, I bet most of us here have dabbled at one time or another.

Love the picture, DerDa but that's not Airfix. It looks like it has been shaped from wood. It's very clever and beautifully painted.

Did you make it? Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Hi DerDa...

Yes, I bet most of us here have dabbled at one time or another.

Love the picture, DerDa but that's not Airfix. It looks like it has been shaped from wood. It's very clever and beautifully painted.

Did you make it? Salute!
    It's not Aifix but Tamiya (the only Spit I in 1:48 scale).
    And I used screenshots from Clod for all the details.
    The photograph looks a bit weird because I was experimenting with the lighting and the 'True Sky' background from my window.

https://www.wettringer-modellbauforu...+II#post662145

I made another one from Revell with Artist's markings in 1:32 where you can really do a lot with the cockpits.
    https://www.wettringer-modellbauforu...ht=Spitfire+II

And since Tobruk is out there are a lot of Spit V, P 40s and Beaufighters lying around here, but I just can't find the time to make them.

DSCN6664.jpg

6. Likes FG28_matkenhaus liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

Was great to fly with Walstein last night on the event. And have a chat with our little fan club aka Marlow and friends We will continue to amuse you in our sleek 110´s The community in Blitz/Tobruk is awesome, you really feel welcomed here.
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit