Thread: Exporting gauges to a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th monitor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    57.91 MB

Exporting gauges to a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th monitor?

I just finished setting up the new IL-2 Dials Client/Server to display gauges on my two secondary (extended) 8" Lilliput screens that I use for MFDs in jet sims. Works fantastically and I can see gauges that are hard to see (or blocked) now. I'm just wondering if CLoD has a telemetry system built in or it would need to be hacked into for this.. The developer has his hands full now, just throwing it out there as it really make life a lot more pleasant when flying (for me)..

What it looks like -

IL-2 Dials 1 screen across 2 monitors.jpg
    OS: Win11 Pro Ver. 23H2 - Build 22631.3374, Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz w/ 64GB, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 - Nvidia 551.76 Drivers
    MONITORS: 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz
    CONTROLLERS: Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Pedals, TIR 5
    VR: Varjo Aero - Steam VR Setting at 100% - 4148x3556
    INSTALL LOCATION(s): 2TB NvMe - VR Beta - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz / VR Beta Campaigns - C:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz \ 2D Non-Beta - C:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz 2D

2. Likes major_setback, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Re: Exporting gauges to a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th monitor?

Use Virtual Cockpit for this. Download here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=188

4. Likes major_setback, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    57.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Oskar View Post
    Use Virtual Cockpit for this. Download here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=188
    On it, will give it a go tomorrow. Thank you @ATAG_Oskar!!
    OS: Win11 Pro Ver. 23H2 - Build 22631.3374, Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz w/ 64GB, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 - Nvidia 551.76 Drivers
    INSTALL LOCATION(s): 2TB NvMe - VR Beta - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz / VR Beta Campaigns - C:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz \ 2D Non-Beta - C:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz 2D

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    57.91 MB

This program is close to what is needed but without the ability to resize and place gauges where you want it isn't really useful to me. I only see the gauges in "Test" mode, the others give a failure message of "Files not found" (or similar). IP is correct and Port is open, but since the Test mode shows the gauges on my MFD screen too small in diameter and positioned badly there is no use pushing forward trying to get it to work. Maybe the IL-2 Dials guy will take a look as it appears the data is there.. This is what I get (Hurricane 1)-

CLoD Dials.jpg
    Last edited by Patricks; Jan-28-2022 at 09:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Hi Icer,

Sadly I think that program was made by a guy from russia like 6 or 8 years ago so I doubt there's any support for it.

It all started with this thread: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ead.php?t=3887
    If you have programming knowledge, you could make your own instruments application. Sadly I can't help you because, long story short, I don't have a game PC now.

PD: Yo también estoy en Valencia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    I just finished setting up the new IL-2 Dials Client/Server to display gauges on my two secondary (extended) 8" Lilliput screens that I use for MFDs in jet sims. Works fantastically and I can see gauges that are hard to see (or blocked) now. I'm just wondering if CLoD has a telemetry system built in or it would need to be hacked into for this.. The developer has his hands full now, just throwing it out there as it really make life a lot more pleasant when flying (for me)..

What it looks like -

IL-2 Dials 1 screen across 2 monitors.jpg
    This game was designed as a "Full Realistic" application. Therefore, instruments that were hard to see in the airplane are hard to see in the simulation. Realism and "Immersion" nuts like me like it that way, but there are always "work-arounds" if you look for them or get creative personally.

A couple that come to mind deal with the lack of aileron trim in RAF fighters and the hard-to-see whisky compass in the same airplanes. Regardless of our preferences, you're always welcome to add on features for your personal gaming. I recommend not trying to "Hack" into the source code to avoid administrative and other players' reactions if you screw up our game...
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    57.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    This game was designed as a "Full Realistic" application. Therefore, instruments that were hard to see in the airplane are hard to see in the simulation. Realism and "Immersion" nuts like me like it that way, but there are always "work-arounds" if you look for them or get creative personally.

A couple that come to mind deal with the lack of aileron trim in RAF fighters and the hard-to-see whisky compass in the same airplanes. Regardless of our preferences, you're always welcome to add on features for your personal gaming. I recommend not trying to "Hack" into the source code to avoid administrative and other players' reactions if you screw up our game...
    I have 0 intention to hack into anything, and as long as I am sitting at a nice warm/safe desk there is only so much "Realism" involved. It's next to impossible for me to see some of the gauges while flying, and one big example is trying to sync up the directional gyro/compass during flight, even with my TrackIR working perfectly. I would actually just like those two things accessible as a start (as shown in my quote above on my right Lilliput screen in IL-2 FB), I have two rotator knobs that would make the process super simple, just need to be able to see the hidden gauges... but hey, thanks for the warning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I have 0 intention to hack into anything, and as long as I am sitting at a nice warm/safe desk there is only so much "Realism" involved. It's next to impossible for me to see some of the gauges while flying, and one big example is trying to sync up the directional gyro/compass during flight, even with my TrackIR working perfectly. I would actually just like those two things accessible as a start (as shown in my quote above on my right Lilliput screen in IL-2 FB), I have two rotator knobs that would make the process super simple, just need to be able to see the hidden gauges... but hey, thanks for the warning!
    Except for the fact that the mag compass has no upper lubber line, you can, with practice, see the headings well enough. But that's just me... if you want, you will find "Virtual Cockpit" (Oskars Post #2 above) is very popular among our players.

I'm glad to hear you're not serious about exploiting hacks to the game code. We need to avoid those buzzwords on the forum. I guess it did sound like a warning, for which I apologize. I have no intention or authority to threaten or warn anyone.

Having read your profile, it's clear that the CLoD community has much to gain from your professional mechanical/racing/simulator experience. Please don't let us old players keep you from participating. We're glad to have you with us in the forums.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-28-2022 at 20:18.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

11. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    57.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    Except for the fact that the mag compass has no upper lubber line, you can, with practice, see the headings well enough. But that's just me... if you want, you will find "Virtual Cockpit" (Oskars Post #2 above) is very popular among our players.

I'm glad to hear you're not serious about exploiting hacks to the game code. We need to avoid those buzzwords on the forum. I guess it did sound like a warning, for which I apologize. I have no intention or authority to threaten or warn anyone.

Having read your profile, it's clear that the CLoD community has much to gain from your professional mechanical/racing/simulator experience. Please don't let us old players keep you from participating. We're glad to have you with us in the forums.

There was absolutely no offence taken, and I always try and be clear but my thought process and my keyboard don't always align.. Trust me, i'm into realism and if you look at my setup (Built for the BMS F-16 sim) you get the idea. I also want to enjoy flying, and spending time trying to rotate my head like an owl to see a gauge when I can have a clear view of it works much better (for me).. <S!>

13. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Hi Icer,

Sadly I think that program was made by a guy from russia like 6 or 8 years ago so I doubt there's any support for it.

It all started with this thread: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ead.php?t=3887
    If you have programming knowledge, you could make your own instruments application. Sadly I can't help you because, long story short, I don't have a game PC now.

PD: Yo también estoy en Valencia.
    I can't say from own experience, since I never used it, but I remember people flying with us having severe problems with using this programme.
    It refers to the engine settings that were valid before Version 5.0 and since then, for example, the critical engine temperatures have changed considerably for many aircraft.
    Meaning you get red warning lights in a Beaufighter, you cylinder head temp is reaching 215° or so, while now you can get it up to 245°.

With bad eye sight, I always had big problems to read the gauges in the cockpit an had to rely on the 'mouse over' tactic. A huge 4k TV recently solved this problem
    But still, the 'mouse over' thing works fine in most cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    57.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    I can't say from own experience, since I never used it, but I remember people flying with us having severe problems with using this programme.
    It refers to the engine settings that were valid before Version 5.0 and since then, for example, the critical engine temperatures have changed considerably for many aircraft.
    Meaning you get red warning lights in a Beaufighter, you cylinder head temp is reaching 215° or so, while now you can get it up to 245°.

With bad eye sight, I always had big problems to read the gauges in the cockpit an had to rely on the 'mouse over' tactic. A huge 4k TV recently solved this problem
    But still, the 'mouse over' thing works fine in most cases.
    Progress!
    Ok, once I found there was an ini to edit gauge positions in the VC cockpits I was able to produce what I want, have not tried it in the sim yet but will shortly. I would like to resize the Magnetic Compass but not a big deal, I can actually SE it now! It's quite clear, the blurriness in the photo is because both the Gyro an magnetic compasses are spinning like tops in the "Test" mode of VC.. May try editing out the other unnecessary gauges in the ini to save a lot of Un-checking in the client every time, not sure if that will work or not..

Attachment 52644

Answered, simply remove the gauge entries from the ini file!
    Attachment 52645

One last Edit..
    DUH. There is an entry called "RAF Compasses" in VC that has exactly what I want PLUS a "Scale" line to change., just repositioned and upped scale to 1.5 and done. Then I wondered, can I run two instances of VC Client, one for each screen? Yup, no issue. This pic just shows the same Compasses on both, I would not do that of course...
    Attachment 52646

Oh, and @ATAG_Colander - My Spanish is horrible, i'm a transplant from the US.. I live at the bottom of Cadis on the border of En Corts and Ruzafa, if you see the Pizza Hut look straight up to the top and wave..
    Last edited by Patricks; Jan-30-2022 at 06:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    57.91 MB

Once you understand how this VC app functions it's really fun to mess with. As you car run two instances of the client I am creating 2 profiles for each plane that I want to see a lot of gauges on, i.e BF109E3-RMFD / BF109E3-LMFD. The RAF planes RMFD will always just be the "RAF Compasses" profile I modified, i'll toss whatever over on the LMFD. I delete all unnecessary lines out of each cockpit.ini to keep it simple. Tedious but simple to accomplish once you get the hang of it!

17. Likes ATAG_Oskar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Oh, and Derda - My Spanish is horrible, i'm a transplant from the US.. I live at the bottom of Cadis on the border of En Corts and Ruzafa, if you see the Pizza Hut look straight up to the top and wave..
    I guess this was directed at me, not derda
    I'm currently (planning to move sometime soon) 1 block away from the central market so we are not that far away, maybe 20 minutes walking. If you want, we could meet some day, just shoot me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    57.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    I guess this was directed at me, not derda
    I'm currently (planning to move sometime soon) 1 block away from the central market so we are not that far away, maybe 20 minutes walking. If you want, we could meet some day, just shoot me a PM.

Yes, sorry, fixed it.. Absolutely, let me know once you are settled in, where are you moving from?
    As for VC I may write up a short set of simple instructions to show what can be done with it, it's really quite flexible.. though a bit tedious as you have to input coodinates but once you get the hang of it and note the gauge positions it goes quick..
    Last edited by Patricks; Jan-30-2022 at 06:56.

20. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    57.91 MB

Re: Exporting gauges to a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th monitor)?

Ok, to wrap this up (for now). I have modified all of the original Virtual Cockpit profiles to meet my needs, creating two 600x800 sets of gauges (LMFD/RMFD) for each aircraft to project on to my 8" Lilliputs with Thrustmaster OSB button bezels. I may move some things around but the grunt work is done.. This is an example for the Spitfire IIa, was the 1st one I did and already see I can enlarge/move a bit.. -

VC Example..jpg

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but i'm happy to make the files available for anyone interested..

22. Likes Baffin, Bineos liked this post