Thread: Kittyhawk (P-40) cooling system issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Kittyhawk (P-40) cooling system issue?

Yesterday I was playing a Kittyhawk on the tobruk map and my cooler got hit, so I expected immediate engine failure but it did not happen I managed to fly for good 20 minutes or so with coolant streaming out of my aircraft. And I was not saving the engine in any way it just continued working as if nothing was wrong.
    I wonder if this was a bug or if the leak was so tiny it lasted for so long. I do not know. track
    this is me flying in formation with C202 that had an engine failure after its cooler got hit.
    Launcher64_2022_02_20_20_59_04_603.jpg

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Re: Kittyhawk (P-40) cooling system issue?

Quote Originally Posted by palker View Post
    Yesterday I was playing a Kittyhawk on the tobruk map and my cooler got hit, so I expected immediate engine failure but it did not happen I managed to fly for good 20 minutes or so with coolant streaming out of my aircraft. And I was not saving the engine in any way it just continued working as if nothing was wrong.
    I wonder if this was a bug or if the leak was so tiny it lasted for so long. I do not know. track
    this is me flying in formation with C202 that had an engine failure after its cooler got hit.
    Just a minor leak. Believe me, if it was a major leak your engine would have failed pretty quick.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

3. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by palker View Post
    The P-40 was regarded to be more rugged and robust to damage than British aircraft.
    If I remember correctly, Buzzsaw once mentioned in a post, that it is modelled to last a bit longer than a Spitfire or Hurricane (that seize up almost immediately) when the radiator is damaged.

Still, it depends (as Kendy wrote) very much on the amount of loss of coolant. With a minor leak you can fly on (I've seen venting 109s dogfighting over Kent and returning all the way to France more than once).

I just finished reading Tom Neil's 'Scramble'.
    While very much aware of the danger of engine failures over the Mediterranean, because of the bad conditions of their Hurricanes at Malta, he attacked many, many Dorniers during the BOB and never, not even once, mentioned a hit in his radiators.

He clearly was not flying the TWC campaign

S!

DerDa

5. Likes Pinguim liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Once I got a coolant leak in a 109 E4N over London. I figured my engine wouldn't last long, so there was hurry trying to get home. I engaged enemy fighters for awhile then, finally, started home. 45 minutes later I landed in France. Just goes to show that not all coolant leaks are immediately dangerous.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf