Thread: First experience in Clod

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

First experience in Clod

So I'm on the beta testing team.
    But I have some general Clod questions not related to the VR beta.

Last to days I've mostly flown the hurricane, a bit of the Spitfire and 109E4.
    After my first landing in the hurricane broke its props.
    But today I've managed both take of and landing.
    But I flew with the hurricane in one of the single missions,we take off and meet some fighters.
    I ended up getting in various fights with the Bf110. And found it was incredibly maneuverable, in fact I had more trouble getting a good shot on the bf110 in my hurricane and I did getting shots on a spit in the 109. The 110 kept dodging, rolls. Trying to follow it it felt more like laying behind a 1 engine fighter than a largish two engine heavy fighter. I did manage to down one, but it took most of my ammo.

The descriptions I've read makes the 110 seem like an easy target for the hurricane and Spitfire. It didn't feel like that in this game.
    Win10 64. i7 13700kk @5.2ghz, 64gb DDR5 Ram, Asus GTX3090 24GB, Bruner Force feedback base with virpil stick, winwing super tarus thorttle, winwing combat and takeoff panel, MFG pedals. HP Reverb G2 v1. Nvida Driver 511.23

2. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Re: First experience in Clod

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak View Post
    So I'm on the beta testing team.
    But I have some general Clod questions not related to the VR beta.

Last to days I've mostly flown the hurricane, a bit of the Spitfire and 109E4.
    After my first landing in the hurricane broke its props.
    But today I've managed both take of and landing.
    But I flew with the hurricane in one of the single missions,we take off and meet some fighters.
    I ended up getting in various fights with the Bf110. And found it was incredibly maneuverable, in fact I had more trouble getting a good shot on the bf110 in my hurricane and I did getting shots on a spit in the 109. The 110 kept dodging, rolls. Trying to follow it it felt more like laying behind a 1 engine fighter than a largish two engine heavy fighter. I did manage to down one, but it took most of my ammo.

The descriptions I've read makes the 110 seem like an easy target for the hurricane and Spitfire. It didn't feel like that in this game.
    I would just like to ask what other sims do you fly and how do you like IL-2 Cliffs of Dove Blitz - Desert Wings?

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    I would just like to ask what other sims do you fly and how do you like IL-2 Cliffs of Dove Blitz - Desert Wings?
    I've flown Sims since the 90s. But the only combat sims I've flown recently is DCS both modern and warbirds (I have all the warbirds except the donkey) I have some 300 hours in that and I have about 70 hours in IL2.

I only have about 40 minutes in Clod(flying time)so very early, most of my time is spent testing VR, so I haven't had time to do any real flying and testing of the actual sim itself.
    Win10 64. i7 13700kk @5.2ghz, 64gb DDR5 Ram, Asus GTX3090 24GB, Bruner Force feedback base with virpil stick, winwing super tarus thorttle, winwing combat and takeoff panel, MFG pedals. HP Reverb G2 v1. Nvida Driver 511.23

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Gunfreak

There is no question the Bf-110 was inferior to single engined types in general terms.

But it was the best twin engined fighter of the early war era, and it was very maneuverable in terms of turnrate and stall speed compared to most twin engined types.

It actually had a stall speed very similar to that of the Bf-109E.

What it could not do is maintain a sustained turn at a high rate... due to the large amount of drag generated by the very large wings... its engines were not powerful enough to overcome this drag.

Its low stall speed was a function of those large wings and the fact it was built fairly lightly... which meant it was easily damaged.

It also had an inferior climbrate compared to single engined types.

It will still give a single engined type a hard time, especially if the single engined type attacks from the rear... flying right into the field of fire of the Bf-110's gunner. Better to attack from the side or above/below to avoid this. Head on attacks are not recommended as the Bf-110's centrally mounted cannon are capable of causing a lot of damage.

Generally in a single engined type, the best tactic is to get above the Bf-110 using superior climb and then dive on it from the side... kill the gunner... then get on its tail and shoot it down at your leisure.

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak View Post
    I've flown Sims since the 90s. But the only combat sims I've flown recently is DCS both modern and warbirds (I have all the warbirds except the donkey) I have some 300 hours in that and I have about 70 hours in IL2.

I only have about 40 minutes in Clod(flying time)so very early, most of my time is spent testing VR, so I haven't had time to do any real flying and testing of the actual sim itself.
    That's where I started in 1998 in Warbirds

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    That's where I started in 1998 in Warbirds

I flew the various MS flight simulators(96,98, 2000,2002 etc) combat flight simulator 2. F22 air dominance fighter.
    Then stopped for many years, but got back into it with VR, spent thousands on hardware and software last year.
    I've built myself a spitfire stick, throttle and trim wheels.

9. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

Bf110 is a force to reckon with, despite all the stories it being inferior. Flying slow along the bombers took away one key element of the 110: speed. When the Bf110 was used as it should be, roaming fast and high, it could engage single engine fighters at will and prevail. It had one of the best K/D ratios in BoB and gave a run for the money even for the Spitfire. And seen this in the sim too. You can engage Spit if having speed, alt and a wingie, forcing it to bleed E. Hurricanes are sitting ducks after you force them to bleed their speed. And lastly the armament packed in the nose. You do not want to sit in front of them for a long time. I just wish I was as good shot as Karaya is..
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

11. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Good to hear your experience so far in the sim Flanker.
    There are some really good 110 pilots that know how to get everything they can out her.
    But...IMHO...a 110 v a good Spit or Hurri pilot is no contest if the 110 hasn't done significant damage in a 1st pass or bounce.
    A good Spit/Hurri pilot will just be patient and wait out the 110s attempts at avoidance. Bit like a cobra v mongoose. Cobra can kill the mongoose 10 times over with 1 bite but the mongoose wins every time.
    110 just can't out turn or evade once initiative is lost.
    AI 110s will pull all sorts of side slip/flaps down maneuvers that u rarely see in live pilots but they can give u a good run for your money.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

13. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

I think 110s flown by real players are predicable enough and with practice a single engine pilot will usually prevail. however as I understand it the skill level of the AI pilot is set by the map maker, some will fly straight and level even under attack while some fly at the limits of the flight envelope to avoid fire. It make life interesting (and short) particularly when confronted by multiple and expert AI 110s.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_JackMaxx View Post
    I think 110s flown by real players are predicable enough and with practice a single engine pilot will usually prevail. however as I understand it the skill level of the AI pilot is set by the map maker, some will fly straight and level even under attack while some fly at the limits of the flight envelope to avoid fire. It make life interesting (and short) particularly when confronted by multiple and expert AI 110s.
    Another thing to know about 110s (and other multicrew aircraft) is that the skill level of the rear gunner is independent of that of the pilot.
    Very often in SP mission or on multiplayer servers the rear gunners skill level is set very high for AI flown aircraft, so the real danger fighting 110s is not from the frontguns, but the gunners spining you away during high G turns, while the gunner's skill level of human flown aircraft often seems somewhat on the low side.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

Hurricane is slower than the 110 so you can disengage pretty much at will from them. That thick wing did not help acceleration at all. Spitfire requires more work, but if you can get enough separation it takes a while for it to catch you. And during that time they usually fall prey to a 109 or a wingie Never fly alone. Losing the initiative is same as reading the situation wrong. Make sure to make opponent bleed E more and bug out. It is a challenge to fly the 110 and win for sure, but not impossible.
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit