Thread: What Joystick and throttle has best smooth action for CoD ?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

What Joystick and throttle has best smooth action for CoD ?

Hi,
    I am still using a Saitek X45 joystick and throttle. The design of the stick sees a hard plastic dish grind against a rubber cup, despite using the suggested Silicone lube and even compressing the powerful spring that's pushing down on the disc with cable ties, it still is far from a smooth pleasant action, juddery grindy.
    What I do like is the gun button on far face of stick and one on top that fire MG and Canon for the Me109E and flipping over the top shield the button there fires both together. The throttle rotates fwd, back, not a linear slide, and for me mimmicks the rotation of the throttle as per Me109E and Spitfire etc. A slider at base of my hand on the joystick resets TrackIR. It has a nice rubber coating that says class !

What is there that is WELL MADE that has a much more pleasant action as this spring, cup thing is awful. A spitfire Dunlop spade grip was sweet, it floated , you werent aware of the grip putting up a fight, you thought it and the Spitfire did it !

It is such a shame that we dont have a Dunlop spade grip or a KG12 grip for flight simming. but are stuck with grips for a jet to operate a prop WW2 aircraft.

Cheers

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    271.40 MB

Re: What Joystick and throttle has best smooth action for CoD ?

BOBC, you're in luck VKB offers the KG12 grip and the Authentikit project offers free 3D printer plan and instructions to make a Spitfire spade grip on a full size column.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
    A spitfire Dunlop spade grip was sweet, it floated , you werent aware of the grip putting up a fight, you thought it and the Spitfire did it !

It is such a shame that we dont have a Dunlop spade grip or a KG12 grip for flight simming. but are stuck with grips for a jet to operate a prop WW2 aircraft.
    Of course you have, Authentikit, with single fire button or "BBC" fire button.

Or just keep your throttle and buy a VKB NXT EVO - with one of their four grip options.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Apr-18-2022 at 17:16.

4. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi,
    I wasnt aware of these two sticks, thanks.
    Dawson, The VKB KG12 looks interesting with thee different shaft length options, though I need to see how one would use the two different column options with a PC table.
    As the stick would be at crotch area, either column would see the base just below the table , so thats a little tricky to envisage when using what otherwise is a workstation PC, for CAD and such like.
    I cannot see any youtube showing setting it up,.
    Two unboxings and its not even plugged in, another but use with choppers, jets, and all sorts.
    I want feedback in videos on just how sweet to use it, it actually is, show cannon and MG firing together, the pinky button was radio in reality.

I would like to know how free and easy was the movement, no reviewers show it as such. I also wonder again if the function of the real stick is same, flip protection lever forward and then top button and lever when operated together fire cannon and Machine guns, which is what one would want, as per the real thing, again no reviewers on this at all.

1Lokos.
    Thanks, the dunlop spade grip, location, again tricky for what is a normal CAD workstation when not gaming. With my feet on the pedals, I would need a hole where the keyboard sits, then wonder where would I place keyb'd, which gets used a lot in sim . Screwing some kind of platform to the table underside to mount the end of the stick to, and undoing such after gaming, needs a quick lock system. Might have to design something and 3D print it !

Also for CoD and Battle of Britain the later gunbutton would be most alien, so I would have to mod it to a 1940 brass circular button. I will have to contact the developers !
    I would also want the zebra pattern surface finish, not some tape. I have ideas on how to get that, likewise the diamond pattern for the KG12.

Many decades ago I had the idea of approaching CH who made quality controls, but for Cessnas etc, and said what about interchangeable tops onto a common base, plug in an F15 or Mustang or Dunlop or KG12 or whatever, same base, with a choice of tops. Not interested, felt their cessna sticks and pedals were enough ! Civilian sims was where it was at, no one would want to fly WW2 or combat ! I still think its a good idea.
    if VKB had that then all stick WW2 users go to VKB, I still think it is such a good idea, and affordable, as the brains is in the base, so alternate plastic stick tops would be relatively cheap.

So what are these sticks like to handle, is the Dunlop or KG12 free and easy, not a fight against springs or rubber base cups ?

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    271.40 MB

VKB used to offer that grip on a much cheaper and simpler stick called the VKB Gladiator. It was a table top stick with throttle and rudder twist. You may find on used online if it interests you. It supposedly had quality electronics so wear isn't the usual concern.

I know there are pilots here that use VKB sticks with several different set ups and column lengths. You might also want to check out the HOTAS group on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas). People there will post photos of desk and chair mounts to get you stick at the level you want including storing them away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
    Hi,
    Also for CoD and Battle of Britain the later gun button would be most alien, so I would have to mod it to a 1940 brass circular button. I will have to contact the developers !
    Authentkit Sptifire controls was made thinking in MFS Spitfire Mk.IX add-on and DCS World Spitfire LM Mk.IX, version that use the "BBC" fire button.
    BTW - CloD Toburk Spitfire V too.

But Authentikit already have the version for Spitfire MK.1A with single fire button with rotate bezel.

...the dunlop spade grip, location, again tricky for what is a normal CAD workstation when not gaming.
    Look at their videos, the stick is mad to be mounted in foldable support (comercial version from TV/monitor I guess), so when not in use just move aside. See at 8:12.

https://youtu.be/9JX0LGAj-MI?t=417
    Last edited by 1lokos; May-07-2022 at 18:31.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Authentkit Sptifire controls was made thinking in MFS Spitfire Mk.IX add-on and DCS World Spitfire LM Mk.IX, version that use the "BBC" fire button.
    BTW - CloD Toburk

But Authentikit already have the version for Spitfire MK.1A with single fire button with rotate bezel.

Look at their videos, the stick is mad to be mounted in foldable support (comercial version from TV/monitor I guess), so when not in use just move aside. See at 8:12.

https://youtu.be/9JX0LGAj-MI?t=417
    Hi, well thats looking promising. However that monitor stand reconfiguration etc, I see no place for the human left leg to get at left pedal, also at my table left is a pull out double shelf I made with special bearers giving full shelf pull out, so nowhere to clamp that to table, and whilst at right might be a chance, the edge of table is directly above edge of seat, it needs a seat with a chunk missing out the front edge, so move seat back, also pedals., and get new glasses. Even then the table has a strong metal bar at front edge below the wood, the clamp is for a wood only edge., so I need to check if its got enough bite for a table edge 2.5inch thick. Ideally it needs a clamp to go mid table placing the base of the spade grip below it and in front of chair edge. I sense some DIY is needed. such a mid table clamp is an obvious need as it avoids trying to fit legs in.

VKB do a common base and choice of stick tops, that was my idea a couple of decades ago, that CH products turned down, BUT HAVE NOT BOTHERED TO DO RAF !
    How they can overlook the dunlop spade grip beats me.

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

If you want a Spitfire spade in a conventional base, get the VirPil WarBRD base - optimized for use over desktop; that accept removable grips that follow Warthog standard, what means VirPil grips, Thustmaster grips and DIY with CD4021B shift register inside.

Then 3D print only the Authentkit Spitfire Mk.I spade - files for 3D printer are available free, and adapt for use in VirPil WarBRD base with CD4021 Shift Register, following this instructions, suitable for any grip - minus VKB, those are "Apple".

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/134551...omment=2989873

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Dawson liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

what means VirPil grips, Thustmaster grips and DIY with CD4021B shift register inside.
    adapt for use in VirPil WarBRD base with CD4021 Shift Register, following this instructions, suitable for any grip - minus VKB, those are "Apple".
    Blimey, I am struggling to understand some of this, visualise what all this means.
    I can remove my gel wrist rest, creates 10cm of exposed desk, I need to clamp something to that 2.5inch (6.3cm) thick desk, to provide a shelf a few inches lower down onto which the control stick base will sit. Into that I need to either plug a Dunlop Spade grip (brass button) or a KG12 grip (Me109E etc). To be able to switch them over easily.
    I see a screw thread and a 5 pin standard plug socket, so need the sticks to plug in.

A setup that many folk would look for in fact.

Is there a youtube anywhere showing such ?

else some photos of this setup for Battle of Britain.

seeing is understanding.

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; May-08-2022 at 17:12.