Thread: Short video clip of luftwaffe taking off from waterlogged airfield, nearly leading to

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Short video clip of luftwaffe taking off from waterlogged airfield, nearly leading to

Digging through a cupboard of my old abandoned hard drives I found this clip of video which still amazes me!

This shows a group of Luftwaffe aircraft scrambling to take-off from a heavily waterlogged airfield. How the pilot saves his aircraft is incredible as it hits a huge amount of standing water and nearly noses over.

"The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Re: Short video clip of luftwaffe taking off from waterlogged airfield, nearly leadin

When I think of all of the reported accidents it's no wonder. You're retreating from field to field sometimes just days or even a day between each other. I can just imagine what kind of shape some would be in.

3. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

Re: Short video clip of luftwaffe taking off from waterlogged airfield, nearly leadin

That looks brutal to work from. Wow!
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

5. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

I bet that one was a pull back and pray moment! No telling if the elevators would have enough affect to pull it back out, and if it did whether it would have been too much and yanked the nose up causing other issues. Good reactions though, no doubt these blokes' training would have had good affect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    When I think of all of the reported accidents it's no wonder. You're retreating from field to field sometimes just days or even a day between each other. I can just imagine what kind of shape some would be in.
    If you read the biographies, the problem existed from early on during the French campaign when frontlines were moving fast.
    Sometimes the 'Frontflugplätze'were nothing but more or less flat meadows.
    Even then, with pilots thoroughly trained in peace time, lots of accidents happened.
    In the East this always styed like this, 'Reichsverteidigung' naturally had much better airfields.
    But still, from 1944 onward more of the young Luftwaffe pilots died from accidents during start and landing than in combat.

8. Likes IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

Saw this in my sub feed, great find!

Looks like they're late Bf 109s and Fw 190 Ds. A German pilot who nosed-over on takeoff at that point in the war probably had a better chance at survival than the ones who took off.
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

10. Likes ATAG_Colander, ATAG_Headshot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Speaking of terrible field conditions