Thread: Prop(osal)!

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    236.47 MB

Prop(osal)!

Hi TFS Team!

I'd love to know if you would consider making the two-speed prop Hurricanes and Spitfires a 2-blade prop, for those super early Battle of France days?! Battle of France is one of my favourite scenarios to fly in the sim. Would absolutely die to have visual accuracy!! Unless I'm missing something already available?! We could then even have early 19 Squadron Spitfires too

I know you're veeerrrryyy busy but might it be considered for the next graphics update?!?!

Thank you!!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Prop(osal)!

Quote Originally Posted by JS81Knows View Post
    Hi TFS Team!

I'd love to know if you would consider making the two-speed prop Hurricanes and Spitfires a 2-blade prop, for those super early Battle of France days?! Battle of France is one of my favourite scenarios to fly in the sim. Would absolutely die to have visual accuracy!! Unless I'm missing something already available?! We could then even have early 19 Squadron Spitfires too

I know you're veeerrrryyy busy but might it be considered for the next graphics update?!?!

Thank you!!
    John
    Hello John

No Spitfires flew in the Battle of France... their first combat was at Dunkirk in late May and the aircraft were based out of Britain... not from French fields. (a few Hurricanes were based in the daytime from France during Dunkirk evacuation) The Spits used during Dunkirk were mostly the Spit I 100 octane type.

And two blade props were only used on prototypes... that version had a fixed pitch prop... not two pitch as you see with Spit I in game.

Hurricanes also did not fly in Battle of France with the fixed pitch two blade prop... again, prototype, early model.

Hurricane I's which saw service in Battle of France were:

DH-520 87 octane
    DH-520 100 octane (from March of 1940)
    Hurricane Rotol 87 octane
    Hurricane Rotol 100 octane (from March of 1940)

With the current map and the limited area of France it covers, the only historically relevant types are the DH-520 100 octane and Hurricane Rotol 100 octane.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Mar-08-2022 at 19:02.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    236.47 MB

Re: Prop(osal)!

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Hello John

No Spitfires flew in the Battle of France... their first combat was at Dunkirk in late May and the aircraft were based out of Britain... not from French fields. (a few Hurricanes were based in the daytime from France during Dunkirk evacuation) The Spits used during Dunkirk were mostly the Spit I 100 octane type.

And two blade props were only used on prototypes... that version had a fixed pitch prop... not two pitch as you see with Spit I in game.

Hurricanes also did not fly in Battle of France with the fixed pitch two blade prop... again, prototype, early model.

Hurricane I's which saw service in Battle of France were:

DH-520 87 octane
    DH-520 100 octane (from March of 1940)
    Hurricane Rotol 87 octane
    Hurricane Rotol 100 octane (from March of 1940)

With the current map and the limited area of France it covers, the only historically relevant types are the DH-520 100 octane and Hurricane Rotol 100 octane.
    Apologies Buzzsaw, my brain ran away with me to add early spits into my idea, which was unfortunate. Thanks for your time replying. That’s a shame about the particular engine types and map area. By accuracy I hadn’t thought that far ahead and I was really meaning to suggest a two blade prop for Battle of France Hurricanes such as 1 Sqn and 73 Sq where pilots like Paul Richey flew 2-blade JX-G L1679 and Cobber Kain flew 2-blade Paddy III, etc. Similarly with Dennis David and Roland Beamont in 87 Sqn and so on. This would certainly be an amazing update if it might be permitted even as optional for those who like to start at the BoF?!
    Just a thought…
    Best wishes and thanks for all your hard work at this time!