Thread: Hi i'm new around here!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.73 MB

Wink Hi i'm new around here!

Hi everyone!

Just posting and taking the time to anounce my arrival. Looking forward to flying with some of you, if not all. Also wondering if players here are exlusive to CLoD or play Great Battles/DCS.
    Would also be much appreciated if anyone could recommend a budget Joystick/pedals combo for someone who's tired of using a keyboard for rudder control

Glad to meet you All

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Re: Hi i'm new around here!

Welcome to the forum!

I think the best entry joystick would be a thrustmaster 16000. It has twist handle that you can use instead of pedals until you are ready to spend more money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Welcome to the forum!
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

4. Likes ATAG_Snapper, DRavencrow! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I think the best entry joystick would be a thrustmaster 16000. It has twist handle that you can use instead of pedals until you are ready to spend more money.

HI DRavencrow

Welcome to the CLoD forums and I would certainly agree with ATAG_Colander about the joystick . It's a very good entry level H.O.T.A.S to cut your teeth on .

Good luck

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

6. Likes Meaks, ATAG_Snapper, DRavencrow! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DRavencrow! View Post
    Hi everyone!

Just posting and taking the time to anounce my arrival. Looking forward to flying with some of you, if not all. Also wondering if players here are exlusive to CLoD or play Great Battles/DCS.
    Would also be much appreciated if anyone could recommend a budget Joystick/pedals combo for someone who's tired of using a keyboard for rudder control

Glad to meet you All
    You'll find friends with almost every simulator on this platform. If it flies, someone here will fly it!

Budget controllers are always a compromise, unless you can find them used on eBay, etc. Please examine the forum areas like "Hardware" and "Show us your cockpit" for ideas. I recommend Saitek X-52 for a starter stick and throttle. There's a thread or two in the Hardware thread on rudders, but inexpensive rudders are hard to find.

If you post your hardware in the signature block of your posts, someone is likely to have good, relevant suggestions. It also helps to include your age and physical location (Country, State, city) in your forum profile so that advice is more applicable to you.

Finally, ask for help in the specific forum areas. There's no shortage of free advice in this forum.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jun-03-2022 at 13:17.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi everyone!

Glad to meet you All
    Hi DRavencrow........great to have you with us and thank you for introducing yourself on the Forum. As the chaps have told you in their various posts, there is an absolute wealth of information on this Forum and you will find most of your questions are answered somewhere. We are also a very friendly Community. As a result, flying on CLoD is a very relaxing, rewarding and often hilarious business. Being Summertime in the northern hemisphere there are not so many pilots flying at the moment but the servers are still active during the evenings GMT.

There is actually an event happening on the VCAF Server this Saturday (28th May) and for once I am free to join in! Yey! Here is the link that will tell you more about it. It should be fun:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=36200

I use a very old Microsoft Sidewinder joystick. It still works fine so won't replace it yet. But when I do I think I might well look at the Thrustmaster. I flew for years just using the twist grip on my stick for rudder control but then treated myself to some MFG Crosswind Pedals and, after using them for maybe two years now, I am very happy with them. Built to last to a high degree of spec, they are 'spot on,' and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. They take a little bit of getting used to but once you've got it.....they add massively to the immersion.

If you fancy a quick flight around the CLoD Servers, with a quick lowdown on the various aircraft, give me a shout and we can jump on Team Speak and 'wing up.' In the meantime, enjoy your training! Hope to see you in the CLoD skies very soon! Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Welcome DRavencrow......you'll be in good hands here,they're a good bunch of chaps.

The Thrustmaster 16000 as others have pointed out is a good starter stick.

My advice,for what it's worth...ask as many questions as you require,get your controls set up so you can find those controls without having to think twice.Make a profile,write or print those controls down on paper so you can refer to them in an instance,concentrate on one aircraft at a time,it's not advisable to jump around several aircraft in the beginning you won't master anything by doing this,so stick to one.....but above all,have fun

Meaks

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

....Also wondering if players here are exlusive to CLoD or play Great Battles/DCS.
    I'm on the development team, so obviously I will endorse Clod.
    Having said that I don't play any other games or have any other games installed at the moment.
    I played a lot of other games in the past though, being an enormous fan of Oleg's IL2/Forgotten Battles.
    I am glad to say that Clod has the best visuals around, and as I work with making skins I get my big kicks these days from viewing them in-game rather than participating in any of the action.
    The lighting in this game is second to none.
    I'm a model-maker at heart, and love looking at pictures of old aircraft. Seeing our world war II aircraft come to life in the Clod environment is extremely satisfying to me.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi DRavencrow,

i also play DCS and il2 Bos.
    On DCS I only bought the MiG 21 (which I use regularly) and nothing else. I tried a few WWII planes, but didn't overly like them. I could probably buy the MiG 15 in the future, even if I don't see populated public servers for it.
    As for il2 bos, I play it sporadically, it has never made me fall in love, even if over the years it has improved a lot and today it is a great product.

As for my peripherals (which are low cost): Joystick T 16000, Trottle Saitek X52, Rudder Saitek, Open track.
    In the past I had the joystick X52 and the Track-IR (electrocuted after 10 years).

In any case, I recommend complete combination of Joystick, Throttle and Pedals, with for the view a Track-ir (or opentrack, freetrack, etc.). I would say necessary things.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.73 MB

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Since i'm playing with brand thrustmaster usb joystick, be sure i'm taking every single advice controler wise into acount!

I'll also be sure to look into the referenced boards in search of information. I'm currently moving into a new appartment, closer to work, so i won't have as much time to play in the next 1 to 2 weeks, but i'll also pay atention to any anounced events or just drop by the server to play as soon as i have settled.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    166.21 MB

I´m here too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Quote Originally Posted by deamorim2 View Post
    I´m here too.
    And very welcome you are Sir !

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

15. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Welcome deamorim2, hope to see you on multiplayer soon.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

I only got into it CLoD recently too. Not sure how handy you are with a soldering iron but you can make pretty decent controllers using an Arduino Micro, some code (there is actually a guy that sells a readymade code for a button box, but you'd have to know a little bit of the language to be able to tweak it) and some buttons, switches, encoders etc.

One thing I would say really opened the game up for me was the head tracking stuff (again, you can make these yourself too). However, rudder pedals would be a great addition, I don't find twisting the stick at all intuitive and frequently don't even use rudder other than to trim it out and that definitely puts me at a disadvantage I'd say.

This may be next! https://cdn.thingiverse.com/assets/b...structions.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by deamorim2 View Post
    I´m here too.
    Hi deamorim....you are very welcome. Do have a good look through the Forum.....masses of help and advice here!

Also, let us know if you want any other help advice or tips. My own advice: Multiplayer is the place where most fun and realism is to be had. If you want to give it a whirl and would like to 'wing up' with us one day, just let us know and we will be there to 'fly shotgun!'

Have fun...and hope to see you in the CLoD skies soon. Salute!

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Welcome to all the new members!

Just wanted to leave this here for custom button boxes, controllers and joysticks: MMJoy2.
    No need to know how to program anything, or pay for it. It creates a Windows compatible HID with everything you need.

I’ve used for a few devices I made. Works great! Just make sure you get a compatible board.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MorsKochanski View Post
    I only got into it CLoD recently too. Not sure how handy you are with a soldering iron but you can make pretty decent controllers using an Arduino Micro, some code (there is actually a guy that sells a readymade code for a button box, but you'd have to know a little bit of the language to be able to tweak it) and some buttons, switches, encoders etc.

One thing I would say really opened the game up for me was the head tracking stuff (again, you can make these yourself too). However, rudder pedals would be a great addition, I don't find twisting the stick at all intuitive and frequently don't even use rudder other than to trim it out and that definitely puts me at a disadvantage I'd say.

This may be next! https://cdn.thingiverse.com/assets/b...structions.pdf
    Morskanchanski. IMO, I thing you should keep trying to use the twist rudder, (many people do), better would be to acquire a pare of foot pedals. Rudders are essential for accurate shooting.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul