Thread: New to IL-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

New to IL-2

Hello all, I'm new to IL-2. My late brother used to play online a lot until he got too sick to sit at the computer for any length of time and whenever I used to see him he would always fire up the game and watch me fail miserably for a few hours, a lifelong love of flight sims is something we both shared since the days of the Psion Flight Simulator on the Sinclair Spectrum.

Well, recently I managed to get my hands on an old, but reasonably high spec laptop that can just about run IL-2 (the graphics card is woefully inadequate on complex missions which tend to chug) so I thought I would install IL-2 Cliffs of Dover and have a play. Well, I'm hooked.

Yes my flight skills are appalling, I have little idea what to press or why, however I do like to tinker and struggle with using a keyboard (trying to remember what key does what for the main functions is a pain) so I built this little console based on the Arduino Micro which uses some toggle, pushbutton and encoder type controls. The display does light up so I can play when the lights are dimmed at night as it runs off two cr2032 batteries rather than sucking power through the USB (The arduino can't really handle too much current itself, a few mA).

I just wondered whether any of you guys have made similar and what controls you would swap or change? I'm looking forward to going through the posts to read about the game and, perhaps if my flying or PC improves, seeing some of you online.

I think some form of head tracking or rudder pedals will be my next project - any tips on that appreciated!

20220516_154958.jpg.fbff438beb2f9bb739f2a77de6b76f68.jpg
    Last edited by MorsKochanski; May-26-2022 at 11:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    271.40 MB

Re: New to IL-2

Welcome. That's an neat box you've made. You'll probably find yourself adjusting radiator/engine cowl flaps frequently so that's a control to think about adding to your box.

Concerning head tracking check out Opentrack with a printed aruco marker. It's free if you already have a webcam.

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Morskochanski.........you are very welcome here! We all remember what it was like to be 'new' and struggling to get to know CLoD. It's quite a big learn. It certainly took me months to get half to grips with it and a year of single player before I managed to get enough nerve up to try multiplayer. However, once I did I was absolutely hooked and I rarely fly single player today. I enjoy the camaraderie that we have witin our Community, the cooperation, the help and advice offered so freely and of course, the huge laughs we have.

This Forum is a real Aladdin's Cave crammed full of hints, tips and useful facts so do fill yer boots! Your home made control box looks anything but 'home made.' Very impressive finish! Unfortunately, although full of enthusiasm for such clever devices, I like the skills to create them myself.

I use an old Microsoft Sidewinder 2 joystick that still delivers the goods and some MFG Crosswind Rudder pedals that are built to a high spec and undoubtedly help to build immersion. They are really solidly made and will definitely 'see me out!' I also use Track Ir5 for headtracking which was and still is a vital bit of kit if you want to be competitive in multiplayer. There are many superb 'experten' 109 pilots online and the only way to survive against them is to 'keep yer beady eyes on 'em!' Track Ir5 helps me do that!

I also use a 32 inch computer screen and again...bit of a luxury....but worth every penny, I think. No doubt when the time is right I'll be getting kitted out in some sort of VR but I don't feel the time is right yet.

Don't wait too long before coming on line and saying 'hello.' Meeting people and cooperating on sorties together is where I picked up a month's worth of tips in a few hours. And the fun? Don't get me started! There is actually a meet up happening on the VCAF Server tomorrow night, 7pm GMT! Many of us will be on line fighting it out...and, no doubt, dying many times. Here is some more info:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=36200

All the best with your training and hope to see you in the CLoD skies very soon. Salute!

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
    Welcome. That's an neat box you've made. You'll probably find yourself adjusting radiator/engine cowl flaps frequently so that's a control to think about adding to your box.

Concerning head tracking check out Opentrack with a printed aruco marker. It's free if you already have a webcam.
    Thanks Dawson, I'll take a look at that too. I ended up designing and printing a side mounted, three IR led unit. Running it off a 9v battery that is switched down to a steady 4.7v. So, in theory, although its only a PP3 should run the LEDs for 9 or so hours, much much more if I use one of the li-ion rechargeable batteries.

So, I have the ubiquitous PS3 camera and Opentrack already, the problem I have with the led set up is that I clearly need to spend a good deal of time calibrating it; when I first (quickly) tried it felt as though I was having a virtual fit in the cockpit!

I'm flying the Hurricane 100 ROTOL for now, have radiator mapped to the Joystick (Cyborg 3D Platinum/ Grandad tech) - what do engine cowls do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Hi Morskochanski.........you are very welcome here! We all remember what it was like to be 'new' and struggling to get to know CLoD. It's quite a big learn. It certainly took me months to get half to grips with it and a year of single player before I managed to get enough nerve up to try multiplayer. However, once I did I was absolutely hooked and I rarely fly single player today. I enjoy the camaraderie that we have witin our Community, the cooperation, the help and advice offered so freely and of course, the huge laughs we have.

This Forum is a real Aladdin's Cave crammed full of hints, tips and useful facts so do fill yer boots! Your home made control box looks anything but 'home made.' Very impressive finish! Unfortunately, although full of enthusiasm for such clever devices, I like the skills to create them myself.

I use an old Microsoft Sidewinder 2 joystick that still delivers the goods and some MFG Crosswind Rudder pedals that are built to a high spec and undoubtedly help to build immersion. They are really solidly made and will definitely 'see me out!' I also use Track Ir5 for headtracking which was and still is a vital bit of kit if you want to be competitive in multiplayer. There are many superb 'experten' 109 pilots online and the only way to survive against them is to 'keep yer beady eyes on 'em!' Track Ir5 helps me do that!

I also use a 32 inch computer screen and again...bit of a luxury....but worth every penny, I think. No doubt when the time is right I'll be getting kitted out in some sort of VR but I don't feel the time is right yet.

Don't wait too long before coming on line and saying 'hello.' Meeting people and cooperating on sorties together is where I picked up a month's worth of tips in a few hours. And the fun? Don't get me started! There is actually a meet up happening on the VCAF Server tomorrow night, 7pm GMT! Many of us will be on line fighting it out...and, no doubt, dying many times. Here is some more info:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=36200

All the best with your training and hope to see you in the CLoD skies very soon. Salute!

Thanks Marlow, I definitely need pedals as twisting the stick is not terribly easy to do while turning. Yes, I do want to jump online. As soon as I feel a tiny bit more confident. Although, not sure the machine specs are up to it. I have been given this: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product...tation/5257511

So, really just a laptop for a bit of 3D design in Blender (part of my freelance work is building objects for the TrainSim game). It just so happens to run IL-2, provided I knock the plane count down. The intention is to build a gaming PC though, no point continuing down the console route any longer, this is too addictive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MorsKochanski View Post
    .... what do engine cowls do?
    Engine cowls are plates that can be opened near the engine to allow cool air into to the engine.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    271.40 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MorsKochanski View Post
    Thanks Dawson, I'll take a look at that too. I ended up designing and printing a side mounted, three IR led unit. Running it off a 9v battery that is switched down to a steady 4.7v. So, in theory, although its only a PP3 should run the LEDs for 9 or so hours, much much more if I use one of the li-ion rechargeable batteries.

So, I have the ubiquitous PS3 camera and Opentrack already, the problem I have with the led set up is that I clearly need to spend a good deal of time calibrating it; when I first (quickly) tried it felt as though I was having a virtual fit in the cockpit!

I'm flying the Hurricane 100 ROTOL for now, have radiator mapped to the Joystick (Cyborg 3D Platinum/ Grandad tech) - what do engine cowls do?
    I know the opentrack "fits" you speak of. I started on opentrack with a laptop years back and had the same experience. I found it's important to have the camera higher than your head. When the camera is at the top of a laptop screen you are looking down at it and opentrack loses orientation as you head passes through the horizontal.

When I said engine cowls I was referring to the flaps on radial engines that control air flow over the cylinders. Same idea as the radiator flap but radials are directly air-cooled.

10. Likes MorsKochanski liked this post