Thread: AI Disengages after +/- 5 Minutes of Dogfight

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

AI Disengages after +/- 5 Minutes of Dogfight

Hi

I've encountered a single-player related problem. After approximately 5 minutes of dogfight, if the AI doesn't manage to shoot you down, it disegages and flies mindlessly in circles. It surely happens with every plane in FMB if it is placed with any kind of waypoint - Free Hunt, Normal Flight, etc. That bug/feature is extremely annoying - the AI is usually not good enough to shoot me down in 5 minutes and after that it just flies defensively without ever counterattacking. Are there any solutions to this problem - am I doing something wrong? Or is it just a flawed remain of the 2011 Clod?

Cheers

2. Likes Pinguim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: AI Disengages after +/- 5 Minutes of Dogfight

Did you check the community content on Steam?

There are several guides to programming AI to get them to behave more realistically.

Called 'Wrangling AI".

Also recommend you do a search on these forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

Did this occur in a specific mission/campaign?
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It happens literally everywhere, the most I've tested were the Quick Missions and the FMB. No matter what waypoint I give the AI it decides to RTB if it doesn't shoot me down in approximately 5 minutes. In the Quick Missions it is the same - set 1v1 and watch how the AI flies mindlessly in circles after a 5 minute dogfight. If you want to easily replicate the problem, you can set your vulnerability off in realism settings and turn on the autopilot, or just have the dogfight yourself. I tried every solution given by Buzzsaw and they didn't work. I have the game patched fully, reinstalled twice and with verified files. I suspect it is just the AI normal behavior that cannot be altered by the user by fancy FMB waypoint combinations. Please see this problem through with the other devs and try fixing it in the next patches. I have come back to 1946 after purchasing CloD and Tobruk at full prices, because it makes the games unplayable for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    478.84 MB

I experienced that as well. I played mostly quick 1 on 1 dogfight missions and the dynamic mission generator. I didn't play most of the campaigns yet. The AI very slowly moves away in a straight line after some minutes of fighting, making it too easy to shoot it down. To be honest I noticed it some time ago, but I was moving over to multiplayer and didn't pay much attention.
    I just created a bug tracker entry for it.

About the Wrangling AI guides, I only found entries for take-off and multiple ground passes.
    Last edited by Pinguim; May-31-2022 at 17:26.

7. Likes SPITMKVB liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Fun Fact after a bit of research - this problem has been here for at least five years and according to this thread: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...er-one-on-one/ it was supposed to be fixed in 5.0. This month I have been assured that this is going to be tested again, but please, do it for real this time. I bought the sim for SP only and now I am 60$ poorer and with a flawed sim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SPITMKVB View Post
    Fun Fact after a bit of research - this problem has been here for at least five years and according to this thread: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...er-one-on-one/ it was supposed to be fixed in 5.0. This month I have been assured that this is going to be tested again, but please, do it for real this time. I bought the sim for SP only and now I am 60$ poorer and with a flawed sim.
    The AI behaviour was re-written for TF 5.0 and they are much more pro-active and aggressive in their tactics... that has changed.

Your particular complaint... that they revert to a 'return to base' mode automatically after 5 minutes... no matter what... has not been confirmed as a bug, but is being looked at.

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper, GANIX, ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Has anything been done in terms of fixing this bug? The bugtracker entry concerning this issue has been added 8 months ago and it is still listed as "open". Will this ever be fixed?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    138.08 MB

in FMB, you can customize the AI behavior, no sure whether it can solve the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by damar View Post
    in FMB, you can customize the AI behavior, no sure whether it can solve the issue.
    We plan on putting out corrections to AI behaviour for TF 6.0.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.94 GB

Quote Originally Posted by SPITMKVB View Post
    Hi

I've encountered a single-player related problem. After approximately 5 minutes of dogfight, if the AI doesn't manage to shoot you down, it disegages and flies mindlessly in circles. It surely happens with every plane in FMB if it is placed with any kind of waypoint - Free Hunt, Normal Flight, etc. That bug/feature is extremely annoying - the AI is usually not good enough to shoot me down in 5 minutes and after that it just flies defensively without ever counterattacking. Are there any solutions to this problem - am I doing something wrong? Or is it just a flawed remain of the 2011 Clod?

Cheers
    Can you zip up an offending mission and post here. I'll take a look.
    Lenny
    Desktop - Alienware R10, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64Gb DDR4-3400Mhz OC 3734Mhz, Dell RTX 3090 24Gb (512.15), Dell 3221QS (4K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C Drive Steam default, Reverb G2, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (3160x3088), TM Warthog Throttle/Stick, TM T-Rudder, TM MFDx2, Razer Tartarus Pro
    Laptop - Dell G7 7590, Intel i7-8750H, 64Gb DDR-2666Mhz, GPU0 Intel UHD 630 1Gb GPU1 Dell RTX 2060 6Gb (512.15), BenQ EX3203R (3K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C drive Steam default, Samsung Odyssey+, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (1440x1796), TM T16000M, TM TWCS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

I do not recognize this, in most missions I see AI still attacking after 5 minutes, for sure. I do not know if you can set a time limit in the mission editor. What is limited is that 1 AI-flight can only target 1 other flight. For example when AI-flight is set to target flight of bombers it ignores all other fighters even when there is a good opportunity.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.94 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Bussard View Post
    I do not recognize this, in most missions I see AI still attacking after 5 minutes, for sure. I do not know if you can set a time limit in the mission editor. What is limited is that 1 AI-flight can only target 1 other flight. For example when AI-flight is set to target flight of bombers it ignores all other fighters even when there is a good opportunity.
    I think SPITMKIVB was just saying that he/she has been experiencing behaviour of the AI that was seriously dumb. And dumb can break the suspension of disbelief a la the movies. I also see this behaviour very rarely but perhaps it is how the mission has ben configured. Hence why I would like to see the mission file and see if I can see if something unexpected has been inadvertently designed in.
    Lenny
    Desktop - Alienware R10, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64Gb DDR4-3400Mhz OC 3734Mhz, Dell RTX 3090 24Gb (512.15), Dell 3221QS (4K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C Drive Steam default, Reverb G2, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (3160x3088), TM Warthog Throttle/Stick, TM T-Rudder, TM MFDx2, Razer Tartarus Pro
    Laptop - Dell G7 7590, Intel i7-8750H, 64Gb DDR-2666Mhz, GPU0 Intel UHD 630 1Gb GPU1 Dell RTX 2060 6Gb (512.15), BenQ EX3203R (3K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C drive Steam default, Samsung Odyssey+, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (1440x1796), TM T16000M, TM TWCS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

The possibility to set more than 1 target for a flight would do a lot to prevent passive AI. I tried to set this up in the mission editor but this did not work. What you see now in missions is for example that Hurricanes attack bombers and Spitfires attack fighters and ignore all other opportunities leaving away an element of surprise.