Thread: Hello all - it's nice and warm in here!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Cool Hello all - it's nice and warm in here!

Hello to you all,

The name's Telf, I joined up yesterday and had some excellent fun in the VCAF public BoB event last night, although I got slapped around A LOT!
    Mid 30's from Scotland, life consists of working, studying, and flying anything I can when time permits.

My flying background - Flight Sim enthusiast since the mid-2000s, playing through the old IL-2s / 1946, and moving onto CLoD and BoX. More recently dipping my toes into the DCS Warbirds too and enjoying those high fidelity models but conscious that the real fun of multiplayer is still held in the IL-2 series.
    Recently dived into purchasing the Warthog and must say I have been missing out for many years. Most of my previous flying has been done with an X-52 pro.

I took a long break from CLoD and focussed my time on BoX but even after 400 odd hours in my own custom missions and on multiplayer persistent servers I am still pretty useless, as was evident last night, but I am enjoying the time in the air nonetheless.
    Always willing to learn though and glad I found Pinguim and Cybermat's posts. Seems like a cool community you have here and time permitting I would enjoy getting more involved in the multiplayer aspect of CLoD.

Until then I will continue to practice and hopefully, I can stay in the air longer than 5 minutes next time around

Cheers for now
    Telf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: Hello all - it's nice and warm in here!

Good to have you with us!

You are right: the community here is second to none.
    If you want to enjoy multiplayer, besides special events like yestrday, give the excellent TWC campaign server a try.
    You have to sign up for red or blue and can't change sides for the duration of the campaign.
    There is a lot of dogfighting there, but your main objective will be to bring your side forward, by bombing the enemy or preventing them to bomb your places.
    In addition you can do recon flights, ferry aircraft to the front, repair airfields or radar stations and whatnot, which will all further you personal carreer ... as long as you are not killed.

See you,

DerDa

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi DerDa,

Thanks for the heads up. I will have a look into it later today after I finish up some mundane report writing.

Sounds brilliant though, and certainly a good platform to continue learning the game again.

Hopefully see you in the skies soon!

Cheers
    Telf

4. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Telf View Post

Until then I will continue to practice and hopefully, I can stay in the air longer than 5 minutes next time around

Cheers for now
    Telf
    Hi Telf.....Great first post! I very much enjoyed reading it.

Yes, I saw you during Cybermat's Battle of Britain Event last night but I don't think I fired at you at all. We were close...... but not that close! I saw you supporting Walstein near Dover but it wasn't to be. He still got 'an early bath! Ha ha! But he's a real sport and will be back for more!

Wasn't it great fun and it's great that you enjoyed it so much.

DerDa is 'bang on' when he says we have a great Community here. It doesn't matter whether you belong to TWC or ATAG or no 'Squadron' at all. We are all part of one big family that exists through respect, support and encouragement and, of course, fun and laughter! All the servers are a relaxing and fun place to 'hang out' because of the quality of the pilots we have flying. You'll fit in perfectly so....... get stuck in (time allowing, of course!) and enjoy.

If you would like to practice your 109 'boom n zoom' skills on a Spitfire pilot, I'm yer man. Just let me know and we can both jump on Team Speak and meet over the Channel and chat about the various strengths/weaknesses of our aircraft. (And their pilots! Ha ha!)

Hope to 'see you' again soon! Salute!

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Knight, Telf liked this post
    Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi Telf and welcome.

As you have seen CloD is a beautiful simulator, which can give you great satisfaction.
    Unfortunately, however, the online situation suffers from few players, really too few. Only with some events does it become slightly more populated.
    Sad but true.

If you want to do some shooting stuff and "training" (too serious word) don't hesitate to contact me.

PS: me and my friend Clydefrog were the 2 110 flying around yesterday.
    Last edited by ATAG_Marlow; May-30-2022 at 06:42.

8. Likes Telf, ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Marlow and Hellrider, appreciate the offer and will bear in mind.

I spotted the 110's and thought, I keep blowing up my one engine, why would I try with 2
    110 is cool though and an excellent gun platform.

I think online warbirds does suffer in general as most people don't have the will to try and learn to play against the pro's, but I don't mind getting shot down for the basis of science!

I expect more popularity will pile into the game once the next TF patch launches and I am also trying to rally up some support within my friends, albeit they will need a lot of "training" time lol.

Cheers again

Telf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Hellrider View Post
    Hi Telf and welcome.

PS: me and my friend Clydefrog were the 2 110 flying around yesterday.
    ...and pretty damn dangerous you were too! I have the holes in my wings to prove it!

Having a couple of determined 110 pilots flying in the Event the other night really added to the over all mix, interest and fun!

We Spitfire pilots know only too well:

.....never go head to head with a 110! They will blast you away with sheer fire power!

.....and, for similar reasons never allow them to sit on your tail for more than a second!

You guys really gave value for money! Salute!
    Last edited by ATAG_Marlow; May-30-2022 at 12:32.

11. Likes 5th Hellrider, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Telf View Post
    Thanks Marlow and Hellrider, appreciate the offer and will bear in mind.

I am also trying to rally up some support within my friends, albeit they will need a lot of "training" time lol.

Cheers again

Telf
    Hi Telf..........any time we can help just send us a post and we can organise something very low key and 'fun.' An hour's chat can sometimes save a month's research and training! And staying alive can be learnt. Yes, it takes a long time but experience does start to kick in after a while....and it's great fun while your learning!

We really appreciate your efforts to get your friends involved, too, Telf! Personally, if you're fascinated by WWII warbirds and the tactics of the day I just can't think of a better place to be than CLoD!

See you in the CLoD skies soon. Salute!

13. Likes 5th Hellrider, Telf, DerDa, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yes, Marlow and I also add that the 110 is often too underestimated. When used well and in pair, it can be highly effective.
    It is necessary to do a good teamwork (specially in timing) and above all to always shoot in high deflection.
    Shooting in deflection is almost obligatory, because you will hardly be able (and you don't want) to follow the enemy.

I also add that, in our opinion, the 110 is very effective if used at high altitude, precisely to have a good energy advantage (given this aircraft is less performing).

I often see the few 110 around used mostly as vulchers, but then again, it's a bit too underrated as a fighter. We are not 110 fanatics, but those few times we have used it over the years (especially in past times) it has given satisfactions.

I know it's a plane that has often been criticized, also how is it in-game I mean, but in my opinion, it's not bad at all.
    Last edited by 5th Hellrider; May-30-2022 at 09:45.

15. Likes Telf, ATAG_Marlow, Little Bill liked this post