Thread: Dropping in to say hi!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    68.59 MB

Dropping in to say hi!

Evening All,

Long time il2 1946 player but new to CLoD. Have a toddler and spend time away with work so online time can be a bit limited on occasion!

Looking to get up and flying offline to get a feel for the flight models, get a few campaigns done (recommendations appreciated!) then get online when I can. Flew with the Danger Dogz many years ago in il2, some great memories

Got back into 1946 over the last 2 years and recently treated myself to the new VKB NXT Evo, great bit of kit. Hardware is a bit long in the tooth now but runs most things ok.

Have owned CLoD on Steam for a very long time but had never properly tried it, new monitor and joystick plus reading all about the amazing work thats been done to it over the years prompted me to install and fire it up - beautiful!

Currrently working through graphics tweaks, getting button setups sorted, etc and all that fun.

Cheers,

Ash
    i5 7600, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 32in MSI G32CQ4 (2560 x 1440) + 24in old acer thing mounted portait to side VKB NXT EVO Premium righthand ** no throttle yet Razer Tartarus pad Opentrack thru Smoothtrack iphone app

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Re: Dropping in to say hi!

Hey Ash! You are most welcome here! One 'aviation nut' joining a whole load of other aviation 'nuts!' You're in great company!

We have a thriving Community here, who love all things aviation but also thrive on comaraderie, team work, encouragement and, of course, having some great laughs. We all have similar gaming backgrounds to you, though some of us...being a little bit older (cough, cough) have a little more free time in which to fly. There is even a scurrilous rumour that ATAG_Snapper is........retired!!!

You are correct in stating that much developement work is on going by our boffin friends at TFS. They are currently working hard on VR implementation, 3D cockpits, TruSky and improved ground graphics. We have periodical updates from the TFS Team and things are very exciting. We have much to look forward to.

My advice would be: get familiar with this Forum as you set up and train. Masses of information is to be found here and experts abound. So any problems, questions...post here and you will get hints, tips and answers back in abundance. Once set up, I would enjoy the official Campaign's that are part of the game. Great fun and very good training.

However, I would also jump on to multiplayer and 'get your feet wet' as soon as you can! That's where the real learning (and fun) starts. Say 'hello' to us all on Team Speak and you can 'wing up' with us anytime. Everybody here is very friendly. There is no hierarchy, no rules, other than just being polite, respectful, friendly. That's what makes our Community a relaxing place to be and quite a unique 'on line' destination.

If you would like a quiet 'wing up' and a bit of a chat about the different servers and any problems...I'm your man. I see you are in Devon. I'm Thames Valley so we could fix a tme and meet up on Team Speak for coms and then have a 'tour of Kent on one of the servers. Just let me know and we can sort it.

In the meantime, 'welcome!' Get stuck in ...and enjoy! Salute!

3. Likes ATAG_Knight, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Hello Ash

Yet another Brit ( Surrey) saying Hi and welcome aboard . Great to see new faces and good to know you're familiar with flight sims in general .

Drop us a line if you need any help .

Cheers

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

5. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    460.85 MB

Have owned CLoD on Steam for a very long time but had never properly tried it, new monitor and joystick plus reading all about the amazing work thats been done to it over the years prompted me to install and fire it up - beautiful!

Ash[/QUOTE]

Welcome here! Take all time it needs to make this simulator work for you - it is worth it! I am not an English speaker, so if you have any question, please don´t ask me... LOL
    Always at your service....and always in your crosshairs,
    I remain
    ATAG_Walstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Another new player here so welcome to the cannon fodder club. I have to say, my graphics tweaks currently consist of turning everything down to the lowest setting!

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the gorgeous graphics the game is capable of, apparently its only going to get better too.

8. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MorsKochanski View Post

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the gorgeous graphics.

.............and we are all looking forward to you seeing what we are all seeing, Mors! Ha ha! (I don't think you'll regret the new computer, when it comes! We have our priorities and CLoD is the top priority! (Just don't tell my wife I said that!)

Great fun flying with you yesterday, Mors. You did well to keep Alpha at bay! We all look forward to more! Salute!
    Last edited by ATAG_Marlow; Jun-11-2022 at 15:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I saw you three on the ATAG server, but unfortunately couldn’t join in the fun at that moment.

Next time!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

11. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

If you can keep Alpha-Z at bay you can certainly fly CLoD , no problem !

Welcome Mors , hope to make your acquaintance soon .

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

13. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    68.59 MB

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

I'm up and running on a few quick missions, setup feels pretty sensible now and I'm not constantly looking for the button map as much some fiddling still to do with smoothtrack though and need to set up the various message windows, etc.

Just about to start the RAF campaign, looking forward to seeing how it goes. Flight model feels more 'twitchy' than 1946 so feeling like I'm not flying very smoothly or getting the most out of the planes yet, think also getting used to a 'proper' joystick as well - loving the challenge!

Would be great to jump online for a wing up and a chat at some point - will definitely need some pointers!! Couple of busy weeks with work then things settle down a bit, looking forward to saying hello to some of you in the blue

And random side note - any IC members here from We Have Ways podcast?

Cheers,

Ash
    Last edited by IC_Ash; Jun-14-2022 at 18:48.
    i5 7600, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 32in MSI G32CQ4 (2560 x 1440) + 24in old acer thing mounted portait to side VKB NXT EVO Premium righthand ** no throttle yet Razer Tartarus pad Opentrack thru Smoothtrack iphone app

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

There is IC_Hamilton who joined this forum in February and was last here on April 1st. He did not post anything, but you might consider dropping him a Private Mail if you wish.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by IC_Ash View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Flight model feels more 'twitchy' than 1946 so feeling like I'm not flying very smoothly or getting the most out of the planes yet, think also getting used to a 'proper' joystick as well - loving the challenge!

In ClOD different aircraft really feel different.
    That is one of the best things in CLOD that I can't find in any other sim.
    You also get a feeling of the weight of the plane and the speed. Astonishingly this made it much easier for me to learn to land an aircraft, that in old Il2 1946.

Once you are sure about the basics and your settings, give different planes a try.
    Most players just chose the 'hotrods' (BF 109 F4 or Spit Vb Late) but there are some who can do wonders in Hurricanes, Martlets or even those knobby Italian thingies (Hi Noofy!).

S!

DerDa

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    68.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    In ClOD different aircraft really feel different.

Most players just chose the 'hotrods' (BF 109 F4 or Spit Vb Late) but there are some who can do wonders in Hurricanes, Martlets or even those knobby Italian thingies (Hi Noofy!).

S!

DerDa
    I do love a blast in a Hurricane, the BoB campaigns in the Hurri in 1946 are still my go to!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    68.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    There is IC_Hamilton who joined this forum in February and was last here on April 1st. He did not post anything, but you might consider dropping him a Private Mail if you wish.

Ideal, thanks Snapper. It's a great podcast and keep coming across other listeners. Some really interesting episodes on the BoB and Luftwaffe/fighter command in general

19. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

[QUOTE=DerDa;382996]............ or even those knobby Italian thingies (Hi Noofy!).

Ha haaaaaggghhhh! You'd better check your six very carefully next time you venture up, DerDa!

Great to hear you are making good progress, Ash, and enjoying the challenge!

When you fancy that 'wing up' and 'chat'...I'm yer man! Just drop me a PM and if I can be there I will. In the meantime, enjoy! Salute!

21. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

… or even those knobby Italian thingies (Hi Noofy!).
    Beware of the "flying Vespa" (Hi DerDa)
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Jun-15-2022 at 09:52.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

[QUOTE=ATAG_Marlow;383005]
    ............ or even those knobby Italian thingies (Hi Noofy!).

Ha haaaaaggghhhh! You'd better check your six very carefully next time you venture up, DerDa!

Great to hear you are making good progress, Ash, and enjoying the challenge!

When you fancy that 'wing up' and 'chat'...I'm yer man! Just drop me a PM and if I can be there I will. In the meantime, enjoy! Salute!
    Please include me!!!!!!

Marlow can show you all the right things to do, and I can show you all the wrong things to do.

24. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Oggyjohn View Post
    I am a big fan of your blogs since they always have something interesting to say, and the way you say it is fascinating. I always want to go to new posts, but I'm concerned I won't be able to do so today since I need to find a platform to do my assignment at an affordable price.
    And the Tiger Moth engine goes "bot bot BOT Bot bot"

26. Likes Artist, Little Bill liked this post