Thread: Microsoft Sidewinder Pro 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Microsoft Sidewinder Pro 2

Going through my late brother's things I came across a Sidewinder joystick, apparently a good choice for sims.

However, I'm running Win10 and although the system recognises the USB device there is zero force feedback in-game. I'm guessing these things need a driver to run the feedback, and I have no idea where I would find one of those.

Knowing my brother, there's every chance the ff is broken, one of the buttons is a bit intermittent and another non-registering, so I'll have to strip it down to repair. Before I do that I'd like to know if the ff requires a driver to function, if not it's likely this things ff is shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Microsoft Sidewinder Pro 2

Hi Mors,

I have the same stick, although I haven’t used it in awhile. It had no problem with the Win10 FFB drivers in Blitz.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Hi Mors,

I have the same stick, although I haven’t used it in awhile. It had no problem with the Win10 FFB drivers in Blitz.

I guess my question should have been simpler.

1. Does it need a specific driver?
    2. Where the heck would I find one?

It's simpler when I don't waffle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MorsKochanski View Post
    I guess my question should have been simpler.

1. Does it need a specific driver?
    2. Where the heck would I find one?

It's simpler when I don't waffle.
    1) Nope. Microsoft Windows 10 already contains the FFB driver for Microsoft’s Sidewinder Pro 2 joystick.

2) See (1) above.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

No driver needed. Are you sure you have a FFB Sidewinder Pro? I am not expert on them but I did own a Sidewinder Pro and a FFB Sidewinder, Microsoft sold all sorts of Joysticks which they called Sidewinder. As I recall the FFB model did say Force Feedback Back on the label located on the underside of the base. It's much heavier, but you will not know that unless you can compare them side by side. At least you have one with a USB cable which to me mean not an early model. The none FFB sticks are still a decent stick to start with.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    No driver needed. Are you sure you have a FFB Sidewinder Pro? I am not expert on them but I did own a Sidewinder Pro and a FFB Sidewinder, Microsoft sold all sorts of Joysticks which they called Sidewinder. As I recall the FFB model did say Force Feedback Back on the label located on the underside of the base. It's much heavier, but you will not know that unless you can compare them side by side. At least you have one with a USB cable which to me mean not an early model. The none FFB sticks are still a decent stick to start with.
    I'll have a look, and maybe even put my glasses on, if I can find them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

For have Force Feedback effects you need:

Microsoft Force Feedback 2 USB - preferable

Microsoft Force Feedback PRO - gameport, need a DIY Gameport to USB adapter.
    https://github.com/tloimu/adapt-ffb-...wiki/README.md

Both require connection with wall power plug. FFB 2 has internal power adapter, FBB PRO and external power supply.

For CloD/Blitz check in the file "Conf.ini" - in

...Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

If "FF" is set to 1

Code:
    [rts_joystick]
    FF=1
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jun-16-2022 at 10:45.

8. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Thank you all.

I think this isn't a FF joystick then, it just states on the bottom Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick. No socket for external power. No mention of Force Feedback.

It's floppy and horrid, I'll stick with the Saitek (he had another one of those too, so now I have two Saitek Cyborgs, lucky me :/ )

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

It's floppy and horrid, I'll stick with the Saitek (he had another one of those too, so now I have two Saitek Cyborgs, lucky me :/ )
    With a little bit of handy work you can turn one joystick into a rudder pedal.
    527444d3d1967c213b6af037b5f9264d.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post

This reminded me of this old ad

Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

12. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, FG28_matkenhaus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    I'm already on this: https://www.thingiverse.com/make:718648

Mind you, with filament it's coming in at around £150 – I might simply save and wait till I can get MFG Crosswind. Really all my money has to go into the new PC (not even the monitor, just the PC) as the laptop is pretty woeful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

[QUOTE=ATAG_Noofy;383058]

This reminded me of this old ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1IpELCTX5w
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

15. Likes FG28_matkenhaus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    271.40 MB

Thank you all.

I think this isn't a FF joystick then, it just states on the bottom Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick. No socket for external power. No mention of Force Feedback.

Interesting that it's floppy. I have that stick, and the FFB2. The spring on the Precision 2 is very strong (too strong). Maybe your brother modified it. I've found the pots in all my MS joysticks are still very good but some buttons act up. Contact cleaner and use may clear them up.

17. Likes MorsKochanski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Every chance he did. Like me, he was a tinkerer. Unlike me, many tinkering's never reached completion and formed part of the electronic horde that has taken months to go through (24 tower enclosures anyone?). Bless him, very likely some of you came across him, he loved IL-2 and another game called Team Fortress (doesn't seem like my cup of cocoa though that one).