Thread: Gear-Falcon Flight Sim components for the DIY cockpit builder!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Gear-Falcon Flight Sim components for the DIY cockpit builder!

DCJt2z3.png

Hi folks! You may have seen me post some of my stuff in other forums, but I've been kind of low-key, as I didn't want to violate any rules on pushing a commercial agenda. Now it looks like we have a dedicated forum for selling our wares.

I'd like to invite you to take a look at my Gear-Falcon line of Flight Sim offerings on Etsy, and as I get things set up, on Shopify, or gear-falcon.com.
    Some of my current popular offerings are joystick controller boards,button boxes, trim modules, and throttle levers.

G0kvwve.jpeg nWNjuXy.jpeg U51mq16.jpeg kndhYcy.jpeg

Here is a preview of some soon-to be released items:

L406KO7.jpeg UW2RsTk.jpeg

Regards,

Kendy
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Re: Gear-Falcon Flight Sim components for the DIY cockpit builder!

Now available in limited quantities on our Shopify site: gear-falcon.com

OGor0X4.jpeg YSDvlD8.png ka9lpMJ.jpeg
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Bubba, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Updated the V1 Desktop Trim clamp to work with the V2 Trim unit:
    fi0Vroi.jpeg csdwzsQ.jpeg
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Bubba, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Working on a modular control system where you can pick and choose which components you want to add, be it trim wheels, quadrants, switches-buttons-encoders, etc.. I expect to make various desktop cradles, desk-mount clamps, and panel mount cradles to fit a variety of needs. They will be powered by one or more of our General Purpose Joystick Controller Lite models.

qXbIclG.png W0hNLIO.png

Also, we're getting rave reviews on our Desk Mount Trim modules...we've sold over a well hundred of these in the last few months, in various versions:

6X6As89.png

And lastly, we're getting some P-40 Tomahawk Quadrants ready to go, should be up for sale in a few days:

L406KO7.jpeg

Regards,

Kendy
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; Aug-26-2022 at 18:42.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

7. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Just putting some clear coat on the Tomahawk quadrant parts prior to assembly...
    pGiarmW.jpeg
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

These look double handy and a lovely idea.

Joystick Controller, USB - Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller - Lite

Whilst I like building things with the Arduino Micro, I can see a use for this for a quadrant and saves me writing a bunch of code (I can be lazy if a simpler option presents itself!). Can you have many of these plugged in at once or, as with the Arduino's, does it need a little tweaking of the VID & PID to get the PC to see more than one as separate devices?

Next... how bad is the post to the UK?

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MorsKochanski View Post
    These look double handy and a lovely idea.

Joystick Controller, USB - Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller - Lite

Whilst I like building things with the Arduino Micro, I can see a use for this for a quadrant and saves me writing a bunch of code (I can be lazy if a simpler option presents itself!). Can you have many of these plugged in at once or, as with the Arduino's, does it need a little tweaking of the VID & PID to get the PC to see more than one as separate devices?

Next... how bad is the post to the UK?
    They are serial numbered, so you can use as many as you want and the OS should keep them separate and identifiable.
    I recently shipped a small 8 oz. package to the UK and it was $17 for postage. If all you are looking for is a joystick controller board you might be better off buying a Bodnar board, as they are local to you.

Regards,

Kendy.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

12. Likes MorsKochanski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    you might be better off buying a Bodnar board, as they are local to you.
    The Bodnar boards I have are not serial numbered - I have several - the OS keeps them separate and I can use them all at the same time, no problem, but they are not identifiable in the GUI: They all appear under the same name.
    Maybe he changed that (bought mine several years ago). Better check.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    The Bodnar boards I have are not serial numbered - I have several - the OS keeps them separate and I can use them all at the same time, no problem, but they are not identifiable in the GUI: They all appear under the same name.
    Maybe he changed that (bought mine several years ago). Better check.
    Well, I imagine your Bodnar boards are indeed serialized... I don't think the serial number would normally show up anyway... if you have several boards with the same PID they will all show up under the same name, even if they have different serial numbers.
    For instance, if you have 3 of my FCP182s plugged in (I don't know why you would need more then one, but bear with me), they would all show up under the Windows setting for "Bluetooth & Devices" as "FCP182", and the same under the "Game Controllers" menu. Only when you look under the USBDeview menu will you see more details, like VID/PID and serial number. Windows knows these are different devices because of the serial number, but the casual user will need to look hard to find which is which.

Now, if you look closely under Bluetooth & Devices you'll see I have a couple of my earlier controllers, the "General Purpose Joystick Controllers" listed. It looks like the serial number is showing up under this menu, but this is actually not normal. The only reason the serial number shows up is because I have put some code into the firmware that takes the info from the serial number field and inserts it into the name field. Seems like a good idea right? Well, no, it's not! If you look over at the "Game Controllers" menu you'll see that both devices show up as the same serial number. This is because Windows takes the first device it sees and permanently assigns that name to that PID. So even if you have 20 devices with different serial numbers, the fact that they have the same PID means that they will all have the same name, even though the names might be different. Basically it's one name per PID. Otherwise it gets confusing. I've stopped using that code insertion because of this.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what name the device has, because in the controls assignment menu you are going to assign them by clicking on the control itself, not manually entering the name of the axis or button. The only time it might cause confusion is if you are callibrating the device, at which point you might need to do a little trial and error.

UXDztZm.png

For the casual user, Under Device Manager this is the only place I know of to ID the serial number:
    USTEH5y.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

15. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Artist, MorsKochanski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Ah, ok, thanks for the details.

As I wrote, "Better check" I just did and Bodnar says "Unique serial number helps Windows remember each device", too.

... but I seem to remember that back then (2016?) he did offer something (for additonal money) that helped to keep them apart by names.

Having muitiple devices with the same name can get you into trouble with games and tools that (still) store assignments by controller name (and not with name+serial as Clod does, or just by order).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Thanks for the tip on the Bodnar boards. I wish I had known about these before going down the arduino micro route. Sure, the micros are cheap, but boy, does it take an age to work the code out!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Ah, ok, thanks for the details.

As I wrote, "Better check" I just did and Bodnar says "Unique serial number helps Windows remember each device", too.

... but I seem to remember that back then (2016?) he did offer something (for additonal money) that helped to keep them apart by names.

Having muitiple devices with the same name can get you into trouble with games and tools that (still) store assignments by controller name (and not with name+serial as Clod does, or just by order).
    You are absolutely right... when I first bought one of Bodnar's boards back in 2011 or so it was a paid option, but you had to buy 10 or more, as I recall.
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; Sep-02-2022 at 11:06.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

A

This option exist, but (from their FAQ):

Q. Can you rename my device to a custom name for me?
    A. Yes we can however only when buying 10 or more units.