Thread: UPDATED – Custom Flight Panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

UPDATED – Custom Flight Panels.

Really pleased with how the rework went on the new flight panel. It gives me all the main Hurricane/ Spitfire controls into a single panel that echoes the cockpit layouts too. Just need to finish the second one now (I'm waiting on more Arduino Micros arriving), which will give me all the remaining functions, including bomb arming, and several rows of buttons that can be assigned to other functions (if flying a Wellington perhaps?) - anyhow it should cover most bases.

MorsK-HurriSpitCustomControlMain.jpg

I can style the graphics to match the plane or period (I'm currently working on another layout for a pal that flies Microsoft flight sims) and, somewhat oddly, there's been quite a bit of interest from his forum buddies that fly other combat sims too, so I think I might start making a few for others that are interested, but I need to work out the best way to do/ price that.

The parts are quite expensive, as is the design and print time and everything is hand finished and soldered, heat shrunk, et cetera. In other words, they're not exactly fast or cheap to turn around. However, the end result I think is really pleasing. The decals are hard wearing, the switch gear has enough variety to allow for muscle memory learning. There's definitely enough functionality and the parts are all quality, so should stand the test of time.

I now have a lovely, compact, handy, professional looking panel that can be plugged in when necessary and put away when I don't want a tonne of desk clutter. The two side by side should leave the keyboard all but redundant.

I hope you guys approve – it's definitely a massive step up from the first one I put together.

MorsK-HurriSpitCustomControlSecondary.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Re: UPDATED – Custom Flight Panels.

Very nice!

3. Likes MorsKochanski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Thank you Colander. Lots of work/ thought gone into these, so I'm glad you approve. They look even better in the flesh and not snapped with a blurry, crappy camera phone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

This is very good work.

6. Likes MorsKochanski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Both now completed. All I need to do now is learn how to survive more than 5 minutes over the channel (or indeed anywhere) in my Hurricane/ Spitfire when playing online. I don't think it helps having a woeful level of detail (excuses) and although the pair have a great rate of turn, that doesn't help too much with our roller-coasting pals in 109s.

MorsK-HurriSpitCustomControlDual.jpg

The idea of the Auxiliary panels is that you can assign bomber functions to those buttons, or anything else you may wish to add, and then print out and stick on labels for the buttons with a DYMO. But, you could just as easily use a printer, pen on any 'easy peel' sticker (not those paper printer jobbies that are a living nightmare to remove).

Now that I've made a bracket for my aged joystick so that it can clamp under the table, rather than sit on top, I'm minded to make a set of brackets either side to mount these two panels.
    Last edited by MorsKochanski; Jul-26-2022 at 07:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MorsKochanski View Post
    doesn't help too much with our roller-coasting pals in 109s.

Indeed, I don't see an eject button anywhere

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Indeed, I don't see an eject button anywhere
    Righthand unit. Top left. Flip the toggle down to open canopy, up to bail out. It's covered on this one and the old one and yes, I've used it more than once.

10. Likes ATAG_Colander, ATAG_Bubba liked this post