Thread: Screenshot hot key

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

Screenshot hot key

My screenshot hot key recently started misbehaving. I have "Take ScreenShot" mapped to PrintScreen but I noticed yesterday screenshots weren't being saved to my ..\screenshots folder. Instead they were only saved to RAM and I could paste into an image editor (Paint or GIMP).

If I use Shift+PrintScreen (with mapping still just PrintScreen) the screenshot is created in the right folder. If I map a different key (for instance "U") the screenshot is also created properly.

My confUser.ini has:
    [HotKey BOB]
    PrintScreen=ScreenShot

The PrintScreen key properly captures screenshots in IL2 1946, BoX, Rise of Flight and DCS, though in the case of the last three the key is SysRq.

It seems Windows is overriding my game setting for PrintScreen in this game.

I've tested this on a second computer and PrintScreen is correctly capturing screenshots.

2. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Screenshot hot key

Don't use PrintScreen key for ScreenShot - this key cause issues since CloD release in 2011, probable a bug in game code. Is "hit and miss".

As you already confirm use any other key or joy button, I use F-11 that is not used by the game for any command and work flawless.

Don't use F-12, this is Steam default screenshot key and result in save two copies of the same image in different places.

4. Likes Dawson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

Thanks 1lokos. Strange that it worked for me until recently but I guess that's part of the fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

PrintScreen works as expected when I change video settings to Pseudo full screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

What I use for screenshots is fraps..I know it's ancient but it's great big huge digits are great to check frame rates and screenshots are simple to catch. Movies however are now dead as far as this is concerned but like I said I have it running every time I fly still to this day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Some time ago (after one of the Steam updates) I too lost the ability to take in-game screen shots. I have the F12 key mapped to take screen shots in my game, and I have the F12 key assigned in the Steam Settings section. Prior to the issue caused by the update, when I wanted to take a screenshot of something while in-game, I would simply press the F12 key; there would be the sound of a camera “snapping a pic,” and there would be a temporary thumbnail view of the pic showing the view I captured. When exiting the game, the Steam Screenshot Manager would pop up and allow me to decide what I want to do with all the screenshots I took during my last session. After the update, the F12 key does nothing, even though the key is still assigned in the Steam Settings and mapped as my in-game screenshot key. I’ve tried re-mapping the in-game key and changing key assignment in the Steam Settings, to no avail. Anyone out there have any ideas how to resolve this issue? Does having dual monitors cause this issue?

I can’t exactly recall when the issue happened, but if my memory is correct, I seem to remember it occurring around the time that there was a huge issue with one of the recent (last year or so) Steam updates.

Note 1: I tried assigning the F11 as suggested (to avoid any known conflicts) but still no joy.

Note 2: I tried changing the video settings to Pseudo full screen as suggested, this too proved fruitless.
    Last edited by TWC_Padre; Oct-05-2023 at 13:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Did a quick check offline and STEAM Key - F12; is not working for CloD, work for another game.

The key mapped in game controls - I use F11; work OK, save pictures in ..Documents\1C Soft... dover\screnshoots\

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Did a quick check offline and STEAM Key - F12; is not working for CloD, work for another game.

The key mapped in game controls - I use F11; work OK, save pictures in ..Documents\1C Soft... dover\screnshoots\
    I checked the screenshot folder you indicated and there were many screenshots there from my repeated attempts. Before I encountered the current issues, whenever I would take a screenshot, I would hear the sound of shutter click followed by a mechanical winding sound, similar to what I would hear when using my old Canon camera, there would also be a small thumbnail image of the screenshot, showing what I captured, that would disappear after 30 to 40 seconds. When I use the key now, nothing happens .... no sound, no thumbnail image, so I incorrectly assumed that nothing happened. But when I checked the folder as you suggested, there were my repeated attempts to capture images. I'm going to clear out the folder and try this again to see if it is in fact working. I'll update my findings.

Thanks for the help.

UPDATE: I just checked, and even though there is no sound or thumbnail images, nothing to indicate that a screenshot was taken, in the folder are the images I captured.

Below is a screen shot of me in my "Subbermarine Spitfire," thanks to the latest Steam update

Subbermarine Spitfire.jpg
    Last edited by TWC_Padre; Oct-06-2023 at 02:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Padre View Post
    .. whenever I would take a screenshot, I would hear the sound of shutter click followed by a mechanical winding sound, similar to what I would hear when using my old Canon camera,
    Subbermarine Spitfire.jpg
    This sound and thumbnails is from Steam screenshot system, not from CloD engine - this don't provide any clue if screenshoot work or not.

The fact that Steam screenshot stop working probable has to do with overlay, screen resolution...I don't investigate this because the game screenshot are working OK.