199.08 MB

Battle over France 8/27/22

(ZX-L)-Leart

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: Battle over France 8/27/22

Thanks for sharing

Lol! I'm glad I kept you guys busy for a while. Ouch!
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Thanks for sharing

Lol! I'm glad I kept you guys busy for a while. Ouch!
    Too right! We thought you were fighting the war single handed! I think my poor Blennie was 'Noofed' early on near Poix Nord and then it was shot down again and again.

We Reds managed to knock out Liegescourt and then turned our attention to Barly. I took off from Dieppe with Treebeard and we flew our Blennies north along the coast, across the Somme Estuary towards Berke. We then turned east and, at 12000 feet, passed north of Liegecourt heading for Barly. We struggled to locate the airfield because of cloud cover but eventually espied it. The plan was to dive down on the target and pass over it so fast that we wouldn't fail to hit it, escape the flak and get away. By that stage we weren't too worried about being shot down........ just get the wretched bombs on target, please!

So Treebeard and I started our dive. About a few miles out, Treebeard, who was behind me at the time, reported he was under attack. Hells bells......running out of time....must reach the airfield!!!!! Treebeard reported he was on fire......going down.....unable to bail out! Inwardly I was screaming 'must reach the airfield! MUST.......reach the airfield!'
    The perimeter was coming up....copius flak was coming up! My finger was on the bomb release....any second I would be able to press it home. What's this? Tracer! 500 yards to the airfield...more tracer......hits! HITS? Well even if I'm hit I should be able to struggle over the airfield and drop.

WHAATT? Nose going down? Not responding to .......must have lost elevator.......going in!!!!! Noooooooo!
    So close! That ^*#%+ NOOFY!!!!!!
    Noofed.....again! At the nth hour!!!!!!
    I DON'T BELIEVE IT!

Those dastardly Blues had adopted the tactic of all taking E4's and flying cap over their airfields to stop us reaching them.....a very unsporting bunch, if you ask me!

Oh well....you're right! It worked! Only too well, it worked!!!!

Great fun....and big thanks to Pattle and Snap for organising! Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Yesterday. Map: Relinquish

Spawn: Querqueville in Wellingtons

Slot: “What’s the target for today, Snap?”

Snapper: “Le Havre airfield. We’re gonna bomb the hell out of it!”

Jeepy: “Uh..check the briefing, guys. The objective is not the airfield, but specific targets within the airfield.”

Snapper: “But Noofy is spawning in G.50’s at Le Havre airfield.”

Everyone: “Let’s bomb the hell outta Le Havre airfield!!!”

Note: Jeepy and Snargle hit the designated Le Havre objectives. The rest of us left potholes on a grassy airfield. Nobody whacked Noofy. LOL
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Aug-29-2022 at 19:34.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.61 MB

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Yesterday......
    Nobody whacked Noofy. LOL
    Ha haaaaagggghhhh!

That Noofy is getting to be untouchable! Next time the Reds will have to dedicate half their forces to 'nootralising' the Noofy!

Thinking about it, I think Treebeard and I would have stood a better chance of hitting Barly and surviving, if we had gone in at high level and used our bombsights to drop on the target.

The capping E4's were all at low level, hell bent on shooting down low level attacking aircraft. I knew this but thought our speed would carry us through. It didn't!

Was I Noofed? Not sure who shot me down but it certainly felt like a 'Noofing!' Salute
    Last edited by ATAG_Marlow; Aug-30-2022 at 04:54.

8. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Leart, 9./JG52 Hackl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Those dastardly Blues had adopted the tactic of all taking E4's

That day I only flew Ju 88 and Bf 110…
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Marlow, Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Ha haaaaagggghhhh!

That Noofy is getting to be untouchable! Next time the Reds will have to dedicate half their forces to 'nootralising' the Noofy!

Thinking about it, I think Treebeard and I would have stood a better chance of hitting Barly and surviving, if we had gone in at high level and used our bombsights to drop on the target.

The capping E4's were all at low level, hell bent on shooting down low level attacking aircraft. I knew this but thought our speed would carry us through. It didn't!

Was I Noofed? Not sure who shot me down but it certainly felt like a 'Noofing!' Salute

A big problem for bombers on ATAG servers is Tab-7-1.
    The defending fighters always know somebody is coming in, the bombers get no info about where the fighters are.
    On TWC you can at least escape radar by flying low, on ATAG you can't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    A big problem for bombers on ATAG servers is Tab-7-1.
    The defending fighters always know somebody is coming in, the bombers get no info about where the fighters are.
    On TWC you can at least escape radar by flying low, on ATAG you can't.
    Fully agree

13. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Leart, 56RAF_stickz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Yesterday. Map: Relinquish

Spawn: Querqueville in Wellingtons

Slot: “What’s the target for today, Snap?”

Snapper: “Le Havre airfield. We’re gonna bomb the hell out of it!”

Jeepy: “Uh..check the briefing, guys. The objective is not the airfield, but specific targets within the airfield.”

Snapper: “But Noofy is spawning in G.50’s at Le Havre airfield.”

Everyone: “Let’s bomb the hell outta Le Havre airfield!!!”

Note: Jeepy and Snargle hit the designated Le Havre objectives. The rest of us left potholes on a grassy airfield. Nobody whacked Noofy. LOL

I never came near Le Havre that day. Again, flying the G50 with the high end spits and hurries around made no sense at all.

Instead I enjoyed very long bomb runs on Theville, passing way up north, training to just navigate by compass and clock. All on autopilot, with an alarm clock set to when the Airfield should be in sight. What a feeling when you jump in your bomber position, look through the good old Lotfe 7 bombsight, and see Theville just where it should be, after a 45 minute nav through various waypoints with no external references

I only got jumped once by a lone Hurricane (Lorena I think) lost high up somewhere north-west of Dieppe, in the middle of the Channel. Not sure what it was doing there. When, I saw the tracers on my screen, I was relaxing on a chair, with the Ju-88 C4 on full autopilot. I attempted to dogfight, but was too heavy. Turned back. Got some hits on him, but was hit myself and lost one engine. Almost made it to the coast before losing my second engine, but successfully managed to crash land within swim distance, and survived. The Hurri did not make it back home.
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Aug-30-2022 at 07:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Great mission report above, Noofy. I enjoyed it a lot.

I think we Reds owe poor old Noofy an apology. He seems to be getting blamed for the demise of every single Red pilot on the server at the moment but then......he's such a great sport!!!! He gives us Reds a superb challenge......even when he's minding his own business in a Ju 88 miles out to sea! He single handedly brings so much added value to the sim and forces us Reds to 'up our game!'

Improve your navigation......up that situational awareness......improve your gunnery skills......or you'll get Noofed!

I completely understand Noofy's enthusiasm for navigating new routes to a target, avoiding known flak and fighter concentrations. This is as important on our sim as it was back in the dark days of the war. Plan your route carefully, navigate accurately and there is real satisfaction to be gained from just finding your target, let alone bombing it successfully. What Noofy does with his Ju 88 is exactly what I try in the Blenheim and Wellington, albeit probably not so successfully.

And this amazing sim allows all of that...and more! Amazing! Salute

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.76 MB

Great mission report above, Noofy. I enjoyed it a lot.

I think we Reds owe poor old Noofy an apology. He seems to be getting blamed for the demise of every single Red pilot on the server at the moment but then......he's such a great sport!!!! He gives us Reds a superb challenge......even when he's minding his own business in a Ju 88 miles out to sea! He single handedly brings so much added value to the sim and forces us Reds to 'up our game!'

Improve your navigation......up that situational awareness......improve your gunnery skills......or you'll get Noofed!

I completely understand Noofy's enthusiasm for navigating new routes to a target, avoiding known flak and fighter concentrations. This is as important on our sim as it was back in the dark days of the war. Plan your route carefully, navigate accurately and there is real satisfaction to be gained from just finding your target, let alone bombing it successfully. What Noofy does with his Ju 88 is exactly what I try in the Blenheim and Wellington, albeit probably not so successfully.

And this amazing sim allows all of that...and more! Amazing! Salute
    Trouble for him is - (as previously mentioned) if he is the only blue pilot in a bomber, every tab 7-1 will highlight him - every single time no matter what route or height he takes. Similar, take 3 blennies, unless another is flying one of you will show up to track all from blue.

and there was me thinking marlow just looked at map said targets 240deg lets go

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 56RAF_stickz View Post
    Trouble for him is - (as previously mentioned) if he is the only blue pilot in a bomber, every tab 7-1 will highlight him - every single time no matter what route or height he takes. Similar, take 3 blennies, unless another is flying one of you will show up to track all from blue.

and there was me thinking marlow just looked at map said targets 240deg lets go
    I think the way radar functions is that it locks on first bomber detected until crashed or de-spawned. So with at least two coordinated bombers you can sent the first one to a far away random location while the second one, taking off later, would go to target undetected by radar.

Again, that’s what I think, not sure it is correct. Can someone confirm?

18. Likes Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

I think the way radar functions is that it locks on first bomber detected until crashed or de-spawned. So with at least two coordinated bombers you can sent the first one to a far away random location while the second one, taking off later, would go to target undetected by radar.

Again, that’s what I think, not sure it is correct. Can someone confirm?
    If I remember correctly it was always the one who is nearest, but I may be wrong.
    Also there have been changes: at the beginning contacts disappeared when they were flying too low (don't remember the limit). But later on, also planes standing on airfields were shown.

But it can be very unreliable as well. Just yesterday we chased a 109 that climbed away from us. We turned back and closely watched 6 as well as 7-1.
    7-1did not tell us anything, but we saw his contrail, when he was coming back eventually.
    Last edited by DerDa; Aug-31-2022 at 02:41.

20. Likes Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    If I remember correctly it was always the one who is nearest, but I may be wrong.
    Also there have been changes: at the beginning contacts disappeared when they were flying too low (don't remember the limit). But later on, also planes standing on airfields were shown.

But it can be very unreliable as well. Just yesterday we chased a 109 that climbed away from us. We turned back and closely watched 6 as well as 7-1.
    7-1did not tell us anything, but we saw his contrail, when he was coming back eventually.
    I think 7-1 loses track when the plane is too close, not sure what that limit is but under 5km rings a bell.
    Time to dig in the older forum threads I guess…
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Aug-31-2022 at 04:12.

22. Likes Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

I think 7-1 is definitely not to be relied on. It even seems to vary within the different Axis v Allies maps. Sometimes it seems to work well, responding to different aircraft movements, picking up on the closest. Other times you will get a call out: 'Bombers 90 degrees, 15 miles'..... every single time you punch in...never varies......but there are no bombers. Is it just me but I remember a time back around 2015 when it seemed to be far more reliable?

In short, I treat 7-1 as an unreliable guide............'Situational Awareness' is All! Salute!

24. Likes 9./JG52 Hackl, ATAG_JackMaxx, DerDa, Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

It would be cool if someone who knows how tab-7-1 technically works could write a short informational reminder for everyone’s benefit
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Aug-31-2022 at 07:43.

26. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Highseas, Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    87.92 MB

I dont use it. I prefer to hunt by sight, guess-timation and chance. Enhances the thrill of having to id a contact before engaging or not. I wish they would eliminate the crutches. Radar that can be knocked out is a different story.
    i5-4670K;ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO;Samsung 840Pro SSD 512GB;Corsair Vengeance 16GB;EVGA GTX1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB;Noctua NH-U14S;Sharp 43" Monitor;WIN 7 64Bit;TIR-5;VKBGladiatorProMkII
    MFG Crosswinds;CH-ProThrottle/Franken-Potato;EVGA 1000W P2 PSU.

28. Likes ATAG_Noofy, DerDa, rontaila, Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Hackl View Post
    I prefer to hunt by sight.....................
    Ha haaaaggghhh!

Don't we just know it! Spoken like a true 'experten!' Salute!

30. Likes 9./JG52 Hackl, Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

It would be cool if someone who knows how tab-7-1 technically works could write a short informational reminder for everyone’s benefit
    ok.. no probs.... I have a lot of experience with this.

so...

First of all relax. Breathe in... you got this.

Press on the TAB key, wait a moment, and.... exhale.

and now you will want to go ahead and press on the 7 key, wait for it.... ok now press the key....

Good work.

Well done.

almost there. Hold onto you chachras and chanel your Chi.....

and ... ok... then finally press on the 1.

YEYY !!!!!

and then you jus

DAMMIT...

Got shot down...
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Aug-31-2022 at 17:11.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Thank you Seas.
    Who would have thought that TAB-7-1 meant we had to press the sequence TAB then 7 then 1 on the keyboard. Wow!

Now that we figured that out, perhaps someone can explain what happens next?

1. Does the radar lock on the first plane until crashed or despawned, or on the nearest plane, which means this can change when you move?
    2. Is the distance measured 2D or 3D? In other words if it says distance 5km does it mean the plane is laterally 5km away from your location, or could it be right on top of you but 5000m higher?
    3. Is there a minimum altitude above which the detection works? I.e. can you fly "under the radar" to avoid detection?
    4. Does it detect planes on the ground?
    5. Does it detect planes in your very close vicinity? I.e. would it detect a plane 500m from you?
    6. What is the accuracy of the bearings? +/- 15 degrees?
    7. What is the accuracy of the distances? +/- 5km?
    8. Assuming the maximum range is 30 km, are the bearings shown at 30km or above significant or can they be ignored?
    9. Etc.

Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Sep-01-2022 at 02:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

‘Seas is BACK!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

34. Likes Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Looking at it (as a respite from a heavier project), ... please stand by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

... found explanations ... and bugs. More later ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    ... found explanations ... and bugs. More later ...
    More bugs later?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

I have no idea how you guys get the Spit to turn and perform like that. So much to learn!

My own flying is pedestrian is comparison.

39. Likes Leart, 56RAF_stickz, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MorsKochanski View Post
    I have no idea how you guys get the Spit to turn and perform like that. So much to learn!

Wing walker eh?

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

41. Likes major_setback, 9./JG52 Hackl, Leart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MorsKochanski View Post

Just get a 109 up your rear end ... then you'll learn real fast !

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Thanks for posting Leart!
    Yet another Jolly Boys outing

Dameon was right.
    We are having too much fun.
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X. 512GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot)
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.
    Thrustmaster 1600, Saitek rudder pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Wing walker eh?
    I might be better off doing that, yes.
    Last edited by MorsKochanski; Sep-02-2022 at 10:52.

45. Likes Leart liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast