Thread: I´ll be off till march 2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    460.85 MB

I´ll be off till march 2023

Hello everybody!

Due to the renovation of our home my wife and I have to live in a temporary home for six months. We do not have sufficient internet connection here, and at least for now it seems to be impossible to get one. I am most frustrated for I cannot fly. So, unless something surprising happens before that, I shall be able to fly again with you in the beginning of March -23.

Merry christmas to all of you
    Walstein
    Always at your service....and always in your crosshairs,
    I remain
    ATAG_Walstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: I´ll be off till march 2023

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Walstein View Post
    Hello everybody!

Due to the renovation of our home my wife and I have to live in a temporary home for six months. We do not have sufficient internet connection here, and at least for now it seems to be impossible to get one. I am most frustrated for I cannot fly. So, unless something surprising happens before that, I shall be able to fly again with you in the beginning of March -23.

Merry christmas to all of you
    Walstein
    Oh wow. I can hardly believe that in Finland you still have areas with no internet...
    Have you tried connecting through your cell phone with 4G? Your ping cannot be worse than mine... at least I am not getting any significant ping deterioration if I try 4G.
    Below tables compare my pings in WiFi and 4G. As you can see, no significant deterioration:

Picture1.jpg
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Sep-03-2022 at 15:18.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Oh wow. I can hardly believe that in Finland you still have areas with no internet...
    Isn't it quite common to find places with no internet connection?
    I find them quite often during my travels.
    The last time was at a harbour surrounded by cliffs (it may be obvious that would be no connection there, I suppose), though sometimes there seems to be no reason why I can't get a connection. Some places are still blond spots. [In Sweden].
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    Isn't it quite common to find places with no internet connection?
    Yes.

My internet is great if i stay in my house. Or the town that surrounds it.

If i go to places that have no reception.

I get no reception.

I had a great 2 weeks away.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    Some places are still blond spots. [In Sweden].
    Sweden? Finland? The countries of Ericsson and Nokia? Who ruled cellular telephony? (until Steve Jobs came onto the scene)
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    197.43 MB

Sweden? Finland? The countries of Ericsson and Nokia? Who ruled cellular telephony? (until Steve Jobs came onto the scene)
    The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot.
    "You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"

Win 11 Pro - I5-12600KF - 32GB Ram - RTX 3080 TI 12GB (non OC) - SSD Sata 970 GBB (System) - NVMe 980 GB (games storage) - Lenovo 27'' 144Hz - HP Reverb G2 v2 -
    WMR environment : Empty room (SkySpaces) - SteamVR resolution : 2192x2144 (48%)
    nVidia driver : 536.23

7. Likes rontaila, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    460.85 MB

Have you tried connecting through your cell phone with 4G? Your ping cannot be worse than mine... at least I am not getting any significant ping deterioration if I try 4G.
    Below tables compare my pings in WiFi and 4G. As you can see, no significant deterioration:

Picture1.jpg
    Hi, Noofy!
    The problem here is this house. First of all this place is (now I look at the dictionary...) in a dead space or area, fringe area or shadow region (this is what I found in the dictionary ). Second thing is that this building is low and perfectly built according to the latest standards: thick walls, strong firedoor and double windows in two layers: inner and outer = for glasses per window. The one and only thing they had forgotten is cable connection to internet! That is what we have in our home and which I will get again in six months.

There might be a chance that the owner of this building would build an antenna on the roof or something like that, but he is not in Finland at the moment. So I will learn more about that later. By the way, I tried to fly with my cellular phone using the 4G and it did not work. The best part of this matter is anyhow, that it will get better in time.

Have a nice sunday!
    Walstein
    I remain
    ATAG_Walstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Walstein View Post
    By the way, I tried to fly with my cellular phone using the 4G and it did not work.
    A cell phone's strong point is not being a router, sure it does work, but ... and there's also the additonal factor that your computer access the phone via wlan (bad!) while "being an access point" is not the strong point of a cell phone, either.

You might consider testing with the cell phone where the LTE/4G signal is best and the placing an LTE/4G router at that place and connect the PC to that with an ethernet cable (max 100m) ... Well, you'd have to buy such a router and get an additional sim card for it, and it might still not be sufficient ... but it might be worthwhile to check, if it is for six months ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

When you say you are in a shadow area, it sounds like you are talking about cellular phone coverage… Is your internet distributed by radio signals in Finland? Like WiMax? It should be fiber or ADSL over normal phone lines…

To connect your computer directly to your cell phone is not the best solution. Like Artist said it is better to buy a 4G router. They should not be expensive, and you can probably get a shadow sim card linked to your mobile phone account. I think they are called data sim cards.

I live in a remote place in the mountains, in a country that probably has worse internet in the world… and I use such 4G router as a backup line. I place in a place with best reception, and connect my computer over WiFi. I posted the comparison in my previous post, and there is no difference.

Now if the 4G signal is weak, you can get a 4G antenna booster.

Or build one…

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    460.85 MB

[QUOTE=ATAG_Noofy;384679]When you say you are in a shadow area, it sounds like you are talking about cellular phone coverage… Is your internet distributed by radio signals in Finland? Like WiMax? It should be fiber or ADSL over normal phone lines…

To connect your computer directly to your cell phone is not the best solution. Like Artist said it is better to buy a 4G router. They should not be expensive, and you can probably get a shadow sim card linked to your mobile phone account. I think they are called data sim cards.

I live in a remote place in the mountains, in a country that probably has worse internet in the world… and I use such 4G router as a backup line. I place in a place with best reception, and connect my computer over WiFi. I posted the comparison in my previous post, and there is no difference.

Now if the 4G signal is weak, you can get a 4G antenna booster.

Or build one…

OK, I have to concentrate on this better. I am not very familiar with these things. Yesterday we just unpacked the last parcels (or how do you call them). It has taken us (me and my wife) many weeks to sort all the stuff and furniture as well as to move to this temporary place. So next week I will have time to study better what possibilities there are for better internet connection available. Thank you for your advice.

Now I will get some delicious Bratwurst out of oven and have a nice evening - the first of this kind for long time!

Catch you later,
    Walstein
    I remain
    ATAG_Walstein

12. Likes ATAG_Noofy, Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Fly View Post
    The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot.
    Cobblers!

Sorry, couldn't help it.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

14. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post